Andrew
    Last Online
    21-07-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant 2.0GLS E

Suspension - pain in rear

Well, I thought I would tackle the front suspension today and replace the lateral arm, shame I was stopped at the first hurdle. The nut and bolt that secure the damper forks was solid, no amount of brute force or freeze and realease was going to shift it.

I took it to my friend in the end, and even he couldn't shift it, even using turbo sockets(they eat into nuts, and grip)

So he broke 1 spanner, and one socket DOH.

So next plan of action is to cut it off, so me being me, thought I'd ring mitis dealer up fora new nut and bolt, Just under £5 for the nut and bolt, oh and they have to order it in, so I have to wait till Tuesday.

I wouldn't mind, but the noise is doing my head in, ball joint is hanging, and yet it passed an mot a couple of weeks ago. Just shows MOT's are a waste of time.

Are Galant normally this stubborn to work on, I'm used to working on minis, as thats my main hobby, and there hell, as they just rot, but I wrongly thought a 7 year old car would be a dodle lol.

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Not normally a problem, at least on the ones I've played with. Maybe just unlucky with this one. The knackered ball joint however, is a little more common. There was infact a recall for just that.

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    21-07-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant 2.0GLS E

Yeah I read on one of the pages it was a recall, but it looks like it has already had a replacement arm fitted.

I just can't believe how tight it is/corroded. Well I guess nothing a drill, Chisel and a BFH won't be able to resolve.

ITs sods law a 10 min job turns out to take so much longer than you had planned

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

So often the way Went out to change the lower arms on my Fiesta (sorry) and much the same story. Just put it back together until I have more time!

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes.... I have heard of this. Mainly because the Mitsubishi lot had the same problem with one of my lower arm bolts when it went in for that recall you speak of! In my case, the bolt had rust welded to the bushing eyelet, and just like you the saw was eventually bought out!!

However, this is the only 'Problem' nut I've known on the car. Generally speaking even a VR-4 is pretty DIY friendly and my GLS was very compliant too - In fact I'd say that was a nice Galant to work on - You could get at stuff!

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    21-07-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant 2.0GLS E

Well all was good while it lasted, done the off side last week and yesterday the near side has started to play up.

Typical, got to do that now lol