Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear end playing up

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Thumbs down Rear end playing up

Not happy it seems that the guy who owns the house we live in, and is a monarch of all bum snackers, is killing my VR4. our drive is half mile long up hill dirt track, which has been killing all our cars spending thousands on suspension parts, and our nnext door nieghbour is.
    ive had the car under a week now. drove back from Dons lovely, no noises
    next 2 days no noises
    3rd day, a whiney, grindey sound is appearing from the rear, and getting worse everytime i go up my drive...
    now yesterday, went to pull out of a junction put my foot down, nothing happened, the revs went up...followed by a clunk from the rear end and the car shot off....wierd
    out on the dual carriageway put my foot down, the revs dropped changed down a gear, the front started to pull, but the back did nothing. then it kicked in, and was doing that all day yesterday.
    took a mate out in it yesterday, did a quick 0-60 on a country road, which wasnt that quick, it just felt really laboured on the back....

now this whiney grinding kind of noise is coming from the back, across the whole drive line. jacked it up , tugged the wheels, so its not the bearings...and when i go from park to reverse, it clunks in the rear, and same going into drive....

ive had the car under a week, and because our landlord is a collosal **** and doesnt fix the drive, its destroying my car. can anyone shed some light on this.

Its Dons old car so everyone should know how damn good and maintained it was when Don had it, and for the people who have worked on it should know, that it never did any of the above

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

I very much doubt that this has anything to do with your landlord or the approach to where you live.

I think it is perhaps more to do with this:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpos...8&postcount=17

Quote Originally Posted by Pitslayer
    Only thing is now i booted it earlier to pull out of a junction and the back stepped out slightly on all the grit on the road now im being told by my passengers there is a knock coming from the rear...

Name
    Lorraine
    Last Online
    20-05-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ToyotaMR2GTI-16

Sorry.. Am I being thick here, but Don who? Ancientofmu?

Also like K says, I doubt it is your drive way. Unless your car is extremely lowered it should drive up a drive way quite easily without grounding out even if that is an unkept dirt track. You have to drive them very sedately they aren't off roaders after all.

Name
    Heath
    Last Online
    11-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    Supra TT/Panzer

We live in a similar situation (possibly worse, as our 'drive' also had two speed humps and a cattle grid in it) and they key is to drive very slowly

Admittedly we have only lived here since November but we are not replacing suspension components on a weekly basis - sounds like you need to just keep the speed down!

J

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

you really havnt seen our drive, the jeep struggles going up it

Name
    Heath
    Last Online
    11-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    Supra TT/Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    you really havnt seen our drive, the jeep struggles going up it
    Well obviously I haven't seen it but you seem to manage to get Jags and god only knows what else up it, so its hardly impassable is it?

However, as you obviously do know how bad it is, maybe you should have bought a more suitable vehicle

J

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

were moving, the landlord is an arse. i drive up there at no more than 10mph.

kieran i dont think it has anything to do with that, as my old man said he could hear it before the back stepped out, and its getting worse. i just want to know what the problem could be.

our drive kills cars. our next door neighbour has gone through loads of stuff for his car, the other mitsubishis have had numerous suspension parts go, the jeep has had the diff play up and ending up being a 1200 quid bill
    i will try and get a pic or a video up of our drive

Name
    Heath
    Last Online
    11-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    Supra TT/Panzer

i will try and get a pic or a video up of our drive
    Please don't worry on my account

J

Name
    Rees
    Last Online
    03-02-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Honda Civic

Question

Quote Originally Posted by HJM
    However, as you obviously do know how bad it is, maybe you should have bought a more suitable vehicle

J
    NEGATIVE id never let something like ,my road entrance dictate my car - (unlessi was a brazillian drug load maybe -then a jeep would prob be a good i dea)

what am saying tho is that i wouldntbe deterred from getting my dream car because my roads a bit narrow or bumpy -idontthinkmany people would take that into consideration -if you live in a city then yeah u might get a smart car cos thats your way of live but not cos your street where u live is a bit pokey

pitslayer can you park it anywhere else?- ,maybe ur mumsif she lives near or something ?

Name
    Rees
    Last Online
    03-02-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Honda Civic

were moving, the landlord is an arse.

thats the spirit old boy move the house not the car

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

i have banned myself from narrow lanes, to avoid scratching the paint, lastnight i was snapping branches on my drive as they were to close to my car. and like said i would not let where i live dictate what car i have. its taken me like4 years of carefull driving to get to having a VR4, im not going to put it off because someone cant maintain there properties.

my parents are still together, and i live with them. i think its getting to the point where i might have to get the jeep left for me at the bottom, and park the car under the A449 in my tunnel.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

i have banned myself
    Oh please, oh please oh please would you?
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by WildCards
    Oh please, oh please oh please would you?
    ban myself from what exactly? btw im not in the best of moods, i have just found an almighty scratch on my car.

Name
    Rees
    Last Online
    03-02-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Honda Civic

lets get it on!

Last Online
    06-05-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

sounds like the rear diff is on its way out had the same noises from mine had to get it changed in the end

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

the front started to pull, but the back did nothing. then it kicked in, and was doing that all day yesterday
    How can you tell that the front end is doing something but the rear isn't?

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

I have to be honest and say if it was me I would have waited to purchase the VR4 until after I had moved. You've already said how many ££££s have already been spent on various cars due to the driveway, so if it has caused damage to the VR4 then the person to blame is yourself for taking it up and down it.

It's a bit like taking a VR4 on track and then moaning that the tyres and brakes are shagged........you expect it before you do it.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

i dont wait for anything im far to impatient. On track is different, i expect stuff to break not going up my drive. We will be gone in 2 weeks anyways. And he cant get anyone to move in as there is a health warningog on the property. But this isnt about my drive. Its about the problem my car is making bad noises. I just want to know what to check next and how to check it

Name
    Lorraine
    Last Online
    20-05-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ToyotaMR2GTI-16

I don't see the point in trying anything until you move....

The chances of you breaking something else in the meantime from what you say seems very likely.

Just park it up till you move then get all your problems sorted out or you may as well set fire to your cash.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

should had brought a 4X4
    "Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"................ (Gilles Villeneuve)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast