26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Right cmon you lot, there's a lot of rubbish talked about on this thread, lets see if we can't help a member out with some useful information....

Pits, get someone to sit in the back of the car to try and identify where the noise is coming from. It could be a rear wheel bearing playing up. I haven't heard of anyone having a shagged rear diff so unless its been running without its oils, then this would seem unlikely. If nothing is obviously wrong from a visual inspection I would have the rear wheels off to check the brake discs and calipers for damage.

As was mentioned before, how can you tell its not driving at the rear? Put the car up on 4 axle stands and check that all the wheels have drive.

I'm not the most technical person around but this is what I'd start looking at.

Hope this helps..
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Mine clunks a little if I slow to an almost stop then try to pull away at anything more than 10% throttle.
    AS has already been mentioned I'm not sure how you could tell that the front is pulling and the back isn't pushing unless it is dipping harshly at the rear.
    Get some one to sit in the boot and just drive at a sedate pace, on a private smooth road of course, they should be able to determine left or right then turn 90degrees and determine front or rear.
    Do any AYC lights, etc come on ? if the rear wasn't running at the same rate I would expect the lights to start flickering.

My car makes lots of clunking noises at the rear and it's all down to the things in the underfloor trays shifting as I corner. Have you tried checking under the boot floor to ensure nothing has slipped down into the wheel well? Try taking everything out then going on a run again.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Last Online
    09-04-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 type

Ditto the above Pits...... what sort of noises are you getting? I had my car 3 days on jap part worns......1st hard corner was me going sideways with a 4 wheel drift...... awesome.

If the diff was goosed it would make some orrible sounds, AYC lights would be going disco........ stone stuck between dust plate and disk? had this on a spirited country lane drive in my RX8...... thought I'd killed the LSD, I found the offending stone 3 days later after driving like a granny for those days

Diagnostics 1st....blame 2nd
    Tim

New toy at www.2into.co.uk/rumrunner

MX5 05 Launch Edition 2.0 It's RED with extra tweaks
    Legnum VR4 1997 Type S 320PS 2.5 SOLD
    Mazda MX5 1990 1??PS 1.6 SOLD
    Ex Mazda RX8 2006 231PS 1.3 - Sold - and will be sadly missed

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

Quote Originally Posted by pitslower
    i expect stuff to break not going up my drive
    Leaving aside grammatical assassination of the mother tongue, did you REALLY expect things not to get broken when you already said

our drive kills cars. our next door neighbour has gone through loads of stuff for his car, the other mitsubishis have had numerous suspension parts go, the jeep has had the diff play up and ending up being a 1200 quid bill
    Ok... Letting that one go for now, we come to

im not going to put it off because someone cant maintain there properties.
    Hmmm. So in other words "I don't care if it gets broken as long as I can blame someone else, but I'm going to moan about it anyway"?

If you love the car as you profess to, maybe you could take a hit on accepting that the rest of the world isn't quite so perfect as the car, and tolerate a bit of inconvenience so as not to damage the car? You can't go around in life assuming that everything is as perfect as you want it to be and then blame someone else when that imperfect world that you refuse to recognise causes some imperfection in your little world.

Oh, and regarding the rear end playing up, try Preparation H.
    It's been a crazy year, But through all the damage done,
    I have turned and I have learned, To make next year a better one,
    Singing Oh Hallelujah,
    Singing Oh I am home.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Sibson
    Leaving aside grammatical assassination of the mother tongue
    LOL at Isaac

our standards are slipping again.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Sibson
    Oh, and regarding the rear end playing up, try Preparation H.
    line delivered with a prefect level of class , I nearly pished myself with that

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

I think he was just venting.
    If I'd just bought a brilliant car and was suddenly suspecting a massive repair bill, I'd desperately need a vent and some sympathy.

I think perhaps a ClubVr4 "There There" is in order.

As all the sensible (and there are lots here) people have said, don't be too quick to point the finger. Do some decent diagnosis cos you might just be lucky. I don't think there is much your driveway could do to your diff that wouldn't show immediately on the outside of the casing: bear in mind that AYC, despite it's mechanical fragility when poorly serviced / towed etc, is massively robust for what it is: The Evos are designed to take a fair bit of punishment, after all.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

im going to swap the tires around tomo if that doesnt work im going to get it up on some ramps

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

is the spare wheel/ toolkit tight in the back? make sure theres nothing in the side pockets either.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

From the noises you state.. It sounds like your diff is on the way to letting go.. Prolly missing a tooth or 2...

I'd get it looked at as soon as...

if you need a New Diff then drop Mark4 a message, he'll be able to sort you out wit 1

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

everything is tight in the boot, its to constant to be anything rattling around in the boot.
    it did it once last night, put foot down, nothng happened then it picked it up.
    also when i left the pub last night(not drinking beer) it changed into 2nd, then when it hit 3rd it launched forward then backed off

i dont want my car to break . Don has car keeps it in maticulous condition, i get car, follow in Dons footsteps, first day had it up in the air checking it all over. its had 3 washes and polishes this week, oil checked every 2 days. havnt gone above 85mph if that. and it starts to go funny .....and i could pretty much say without speaking to Don, he hasnt noticed it before, as Don told me every single little problem with the car, and i havnt found any other problems, apart from what he has told me. (which is why i now refer to him as Honest Don )

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Have you checked the ATF level? Lurching on changes is often caused by incorrect ATF level.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

hmmmm, will check that tonight...best sort out my club membership and get into the guides section

Name
    Lorraine
    Last Online
    20-05-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ToyotaMR2GTI-16

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    hmmmm, will check that tonight...best sort out my club membership and get into the guides section
    Make sure you check it on the level... not on your wonkey driveway.

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

Check the voltage to the fuel pump.

the relay may have gone screwy again.

A permanent fix would be to hard wire the fuel pump to the battery.
    '07 Satin Black Shogun (Running), '98 Black Legnum VR4 Super (In Storage), '01 2.0 Silver Manual Galant Estate (Daily Driver), '98 Silver Colt (Dead), '97 Trigger Mauve Legnum VR4 Shell (Doner for Super)

Also in the family: '07 Mini Cooper, '05 2.0 Lancer Sport Estate

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Is it a metallic clunk (like a nut being dropped into an empty paint tin) or a dull (BUMF) sort of thump, like someone throwing a football at the bottom of the car?
    If its the latter, it's your diff bouncing in it's mounts, and usually means the diff is okay, but the engine / gearbox are suddenly giving it a lot of power all at once.
    Had this on a scoob, where a sticking propshaft bearing meant that it'd take a few moments before it would spin up, shock loading the rear drive train and THUMP as it struggled to turn the wheels suddenly.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

I thought it was a whining noise he was hearing, the clunk was just the once.

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

First thing i would do would be to check ATF and AYC fluids (including diff fluid). With the car being sat around for a few months doing very little perhaps there has been some leakage where seals arent being kept moistened by the oils?

Im not pointing the finger at you or your drive (or Don for that matter), but i think you need to get things looked at mechanically sooner rather than later. I cant see the rear drive knackering up after a couple of weeks going up and down a bumpy drivve!
    No longer empty and frantic...

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

right i have driven the car today, and i had the rear seats folded down. and its defintaly the left wheel, it soundslike someone has left a sticker on a tire, but it sounds like its coming directly from behind the wheel.
    Don i think you might be onto something there, with the rear seats folded down, i can hear what i guess to be the pump, from the drivers side of the car. and it sounds to be surging, it isnt a constant vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....its a vrrrr....vrrrr...vrrrrr..vrrrrr...
    where would i find the fuel pump relay?

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Have you checked your ATF and AYC fluid levels?
    When was the AYC fluid last changed?
    1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast