Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

A new angle grinder?

My little Power Devil (aka cheapass Billy-No-Name brand) angle grinder, one of my power tools that's been with me through thick and thin for the past 8 years finally shat itself today and burned out one of its brushes.

Hopefully I can get a spare set of brushes and all will be well again, but if not - Any recommendations on brand/model?

I'm looking for a 115mm (4.5") grinder and don't want to spend more than £35.

Brands that I've considered so far include Clarke (via Machine Mart) and Hitachi. Any other suggestions within my price range?

Sounds daft but given that it was a freebie with a bigger grinder (that I've used all of once!!) and that it's served me well, I'm almost mourning the passing of my little Power Devil!! How sad is that?!

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Six years ain't a bad life if it's had a lot of use. The clarkes range is not too bad, but again not really a heavy duty job.

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    06-12-2020
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galaxy
    My Garage
    Visit

So what happened to the spare brushes that usually come with these cheap grinders? I usually put them safely away and then forget where that was!
    Why not get whatever B&Q have cheap and with spare brushes and suddenly you have 2 grinders.... Come to think of it then take the new one back for a refund (Don you bad bad man you)
    If you have a problem with getting Amsoil just contact me on 07949 944523 email don@performanceoilsltd.co.uk or web at http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/
    AMSOIL 'The First in Synthetics'

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by amsoil
    So what happened to the spare brushes that usually come with these cheap grinders?
    I don't think that it did come with spares... But I can always nip around to my dads and check.... It might have done but it was so bloody long ago I can't remember!!

Name
    shaun
    Last Online
    31-07-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    'charged Mx5

just buy a 20 quid job from lidl and chuck it when it goes bang!

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

For your price range and work id do as Don said and get 1 from B&Q but with a min of 1 year guaranty it goes bang take it back get a new 1.

I personally like better tools as you know my grinder is a Dewalt and has done me well for years.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Well, following a trip to my dad's house, I now have the spare set of brushes that came with my little Power Devil!

So the area around KieranCorp Towers will once again ring out to the sonorous tones of metal against grinding disc tomorrow!

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Never heard it called that before But, hey well done mate!

Name
    stuart
    Last Online
    13-05-2014
    Country
    England
    Car
    530d touring

The grinder liveth on !!!

Just a note for any others with worn out brushes in drills, grinder whatever, I had this with my mrs hair dryer, good pro make but worn brushes & no spares available. went to my local tool shop and bought whatever brushes he had that were almost the same size, gently filed one side down as they were about 2mm too wide, put them in, hey presto like new !!!!

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by richy rich
    For your price range and work id do as Don said and get 1 from B&Q but with a min of 1 year guaranty it goes bang take it back get a new 1.

I personally like better tools as you know my grinder is a Dewalt and has done me well for years.
    yeh you would think that wouldnt you, im a bosch person myself, but my mate bought a bosch angle grinder which the bearings have sounded like they want to sh*themselves for the past 3 years, not a happy grinder.
    i bought one from halfrauds, was like 20 quid at the time, ok the button is stuck constantly on, but it half bad. it cut the front end of my golf of with no problems

Name
    shaun
    Last Online
    31-07-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    'charged Mx5

I've a black and decker ....... had it for 10 years or more and its really been hammered , still soldiering on and I can get spares for it if it breaks...

Name
    Jan
    Last Online
    26-04-2015
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Series 2 Legnum

Is this a grinder you use for polishing and buffing your cars, or do you use it for grinding metal or whatever? For car detailing would you recommend an angle grinder (with a suitable head) over a dedicated buffer / polisher?

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    My little Power Devil (aka cheapass Billy-No-Name brand) angle grinder, one of my power tools that's been with me through thick and thin for the past 8 years finally shat itself today and burned out one of its brushes.

Hopefully I can get a spare set of brushes and all will be well again, but if not - Any recommendations on brand/model?

I'm looking for a 115mm (4.5") grinder and don't want to spend more than £35.

Brands that I've considered so far include Clarke (via Machine Mart) and Hitachi. Any other suggestions within my price range?

Sounds daft but given that it was a freebie with a bigger grinder (that I've used all of once!!) and that it's served me well, I'm almost mourning the passing of my little Power Devil!! How sad is that?!

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

No not for detailing. Angle grinders are specifically designed for grinding/cutting metal. Dedicated buffer/polisher for detailing with suitable heads. Not well up on them myself but I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction. I know Kieran got himself one recently, but I believe there is a new model out that is very populer. Kieran.......