Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boost controller and gauge

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

no its all been done, apart from calipers, how ever im going to search for a replacement for the red stuffs, dont get me wrong there brilliant pads, just i dont use the brakes for about 5 miles, as im on a country road with hardly any traffic. and what little traffic there is, you can see. so when i end up getting to the town, the pads are still cold. but thats a different thread all together
    edit: and besides that i know how quickly standard mitsi pads and discs can go wrong, and then loose there braking capabilitys

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

On the topic front I can heartily recommend the Profec E-01 if you can get a good price on one. A reasonable amount of setting up to get it right but very much worth it in the end. The link to an emanage blue ECU is useful as well, as is the logging facility.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Last Online
    14-03-2009
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Fiat Bravo 1.4

I have a HKS Boost Controller - set to 0.8 and seems to do the job very well...I also have an alalogue boost gauge but to be honest, the HKS EBC tells me what I need to know - I don;t understand what it means but I know when I floor it the figure gets closer to 0.8, then it sits on 0.8 until I take the foot off (well I'm guessing it does, I tend to watch the road more than the gauge!).

When I first got the car I was getting real bad mpg - 11-15 but the boost controller was off, I switched it on and now get 23.5mpg - I suspect it was bad as I was just learning how to drive the car - 2 weeks driving and 5 fill-ups had me convinced I wasn't driving it properly, boost controller on and had a shot for another 2 weeks...better fuel economy and loads of smiles.
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...

Name
    Dan
    Last Online
    14-03-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4

boost controller is the best upgrade in performance you can do to the vr4 imho..

like all i like my current setup and think it is the bestest...... after alot of research and hours of reading decided on apexi avcr... works very well...

fitting is also easy if you know your way round the engine...

but it really is up to the individual... get a unit that is good quality and has been proven to work...

Last Online
    20-05-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

I bought a Greddy profec-B2 boost controller. Got it for £150 off a mate, they usually sell on Ebay for that too. It's good because it has a boost guage, has hi+lo settings, and is fairly easy to install and set up.

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    31-03-2017
    Membership ID
    NZ051
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR4 5 Spee
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    im going to 10psi, and thats it..
    Thats what i said

I ran with the Gizzmo IBC about 18 months ago, it has less tunability that the likes of the more expensive controllers, but was cheap enough, and simple to set up. Gives you 4 settings that you can change on the go, and has the ability to self learn. Doesnt have the ability to set boost according to RPM, like the MAP2 and some other models, but did the job quite nicely. Certainly got the car up to boost, and held it steady well on the dyno day way back. Also has a digital boost readout, but i had a gauge already so never used it.

Since then iv done 30,000k's and worn out the front turbo.. but that was mostly due to a pipe cracking and coming detatched sometimes, and it sucking road crap for a month or so before i figured out what the hell was up.

PS screw everyone else, do it Its just a matter of deciding now how far you are going to go, in terms of investing in a 10 year+ car these days. Youd hate to decide in 6 months time that you should have gone for a piggyback instead or so on..
    Attached Images Attached Images

2/1/06 Rangikapiti Pa - Mangonui, Northland

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

check this out! it isn't perfect due to the fact that my graph was skewed, but not bad.

Basic difference I want to highlight is exhaust vs boost controller. Exhaust wins.

/edit: In saying that, exhaust plus boost controller is even better still.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    31-03-2017
    Membership ID
    NZ051
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR4 5 Spee
    My Garage
    Visit

thought i was going blind there for a sec

Thats very cool, goes to show just how much quicker you were getting on boost versus the stock exhaust + a muffler..

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by mpau009
    thought i was going blind there for a sec

Thats very cool, goes to show just how much quicker you were getting on boost versus the stock exhaust + a muffler..
    Yeah, it does make you think you have double vision for a bit... lol

The boost response with a full exhaust system is just phenomenal... It is quite surprising to see how much the standard boost lifts (which looks like it must peak at about 13.5psi... pity the boost reference wasn't plugged in properly for that run) as it doesn't FEEL so aggressive to drive as there isn't a big lump, it starts pulling and doesn't stop.

Unfortunately The torque graphs are not comparable as the scale is different, however torque can be judged well enough by the power graph.

It would be interesting to overlay with Brads graph to see just how much he gets from the standalone ECU and more importantly, where that is.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

unfortunately my graphs done by Gary are completely different to the Torque Perf ones. You can still plot my graph on top of someone else's if you spent a bit of time in MS paint and joined the dots.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    unfortunately my graphs done by Gary are completely different to the Torque Perf ones. You can still plot my graph on top of someone else's if you spent a bit of time in MS paint and joined the dots.
    i like dot to dots, especially the ones you can colour in afterwards

basically ive said to sky this is what i want to do, how much is it going to cost me....i will be going to 10psi and i will be sticking to it, if there is ever an incident i dont want the assessor to go....well you werent running 10psi were you?
    pay for one modification at at a time, i dont want to be 4k out of pocket and minus a car, for that extra bit of speed.

as for exhaust, im going to be getting a custom stainless catback made, if i can get my mate to be bothered to do it,
    what i would like, is the boost controller, the catback, and flappy paddles done and declared to insurance, for japfest

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

I'm even more interested in the exhaust side now I've seen the above info. Mine is lovely and quick already but I think the exhaust would compliment the EBC nicely. My only problem is I wanted wheels and some other stuff too....decisions decisons!

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

the way i see it, is, you have one the most ultimate sleepers ever, performance before looks

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

True but when I don't have a safe way of putting that power down (or stopping it afterwards) then I have to fix it. In this case it's an opportunity to change the wheels which I may not get the chance to do again. In reality I only feel I need to change them in order to fit some Brembos so I may just wait out a while and order some good quality rubber all round.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

imho a VR-4 with evo 7 or 8 wheels and brembo's just looks awesome, it only enhances the look of the car, increases handling and braking performance.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

I'll have to see if I can get Evo wheels here. I couldn't agree more with the looks.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    as for exhaust, im going to be getting a custom stainless catback made, if i can get my mate to be bothered to do it,
    what i would like, is the boost controller, the catback, and flappy paddles done and declared to insurance, for japfest
    For best results (and comparable to the ones I posted) you will need a full system including down pipes.

I cannot rave enough about the difference the down pipes make to the system.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

i can get all that made aswell, just convincing my mate to do them aswell. will have a search for some specs of the downpipes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12