Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boost controller and gauge

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

boost controller and gauge

i have asked sky how much it is for the following, and after being highly suprised, i might be going down the boost controller route. ive done some searching, but im not going through 500 threads.
    so i have been wieghing it up, wether to go MBC or EBC. now what i have learnt, is that the MBC`s can spike horribly sometimes, where as the EBC is controlled. but the EBC is expensive, and the MBC isnt.
    what i want to know, is which to buy.
    a good cheap EBC-
    a good cheap MBC-
    a good boost gauge-

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    i have asked sky how much it is for the following, and after being highly suprised, i might be going down the boost controller route. ive done some searching, but im not going through 500 threads.
    so i have been wieghing it up, wether to go MBC or EBC. now what i have learnt, is that the MBC`s can spike horribly sometimes, where as the EBC is controlled. but the EBC is expensive, and the MBC isnt.
    what i want to know, is which to buy.
    a good cheap EBC-
    a good cheap MBC-
    a good boost gauge-
    Choice is totally yours

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

ffs Kyle , stop it , just stop it now

You have posted about problems with the vr4 on other threads with them ranging from rear cv joints to rear diff to fuel pump relay .

Look you have just bought the car why not leave it six months until you get used to driving a VR4 and then look for more power

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter_John
    ffs Kyle , stop it , just stop it now

You have posted about problems with the vr4 on other threads with them ranging from rear cv joints to rear diff to fuel pump relay .

Look you have just bought the car why not leave it six months until you get used to driving a VR4 and then look for more power
    Ya Reckon he's FUBAR

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

because its my car, and i can do what i want with it . im just asking for recomendations.
    first thing im doing is sorting the noise out on the back and the fuel pump relays. as for being used to it, ive put about 2k miles on it since ive had it (whoops ) im used to it. if i choose to fit a boost controller and gauge then its my choice. and its not like im upping the boost dramatically, im going to 10psi, and thats it.
    i just want some info, now so i can start to look out for any good deals, nothing wrong with that is there?
    i want some personal experiences and comparison of what has been used and how happy people have been. ive read that some people have seen massive boost spikes, with an MBC, but i have also read that Kenneth has never had any problems with his ones.

i like to research things before i do anything to a car, all my cars i have planned out in my head when stuff is being done, whats being and how its being done.

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

Quote Originally Posted by Pitslayer
    i like to research things before i do anything to a car, all my cars i have planned out in my head when stuff is being done, whats being and how its being done.
    That's what "search" is for and there is plenty of info about different types and manufacturers there. That's what I did and I'm very happy with the one I have.
    Last edited by Kenneth; 11-03-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

ive done some searching, but im not going through 500 threads....
    I would if I were you - The info you're after is already there and even the seemingly irrelevant threads can throw up useful information. I know it's a ball ache but that's how the forum works - it's an eclectic resource and there's no right or wrong choice - there's good and bad to all. As Wodj says - choice is yours.

I have to say though that without wishing to patronise you (it's your car after all) that I agree with John to some degree. Get the issues you have sorted first.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitslayer
    ive put about 2k miles on it since ive had it (whoops ) im used to it
    I don't believe you. You've only had it since March 2nd - This would mean averaging 222 miles every single day since that date. Given that a VR-4 averages about 220ish to a tank, this would mean you'd already spent £450 in fuel alone.

You've got nothing to prove. Get a feel for it, there's no rush and there's other things you might want to consider before just wanging up the boost.
    Last edited by Kieran; 11-03-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

the only thing that really puts me off the mbc, is that you google it, and you got all the links, and most say, this is not a bleed valve. how can you really tell its a not a bleed valve. i dont want to buy an mbc that will ultimatly kill my engine....

if anyone needs me, i will be trawling through the search pages

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

how can you really tell its a not a bleed valve. i dont want to buy an mbc that will ultimatly kill my engine....
    This is exactly why you NEED to search. It's all there for the reading. The Library might be useful too.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran
    You've got nothing to prove. Get a feel for it, there's no rush and there's other things you might want to consider before just wanging up the boost.
    This is the whole of my point , when i purchased my VR4 i did not upgrade the power for 7 months , but before i did i put on some brembos .

Get used to the car 2000 miles will not give you a full picture of what the car can do ,I have done nearly 62,000 miles in mine and would honestly say that i do not have 100% full knowledge of what the car can do .

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

I have done nearly 62,000 miles in mine and would honestly say that i do not have 100% full knowledge of what the car can do .
    "STOP DRIVING LIKE A GRANNY"

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Git , you know what i mean

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Git , you know what i mean
    I know exactly what you mean

Had my car 4 1/2 years.. And i would say i know it 99%

But it's not thinking that i know it 100% That keeps Me, and It, in 1 piece

Respect it Or it won't respect you
    Last edited by Wodjno; 11-03-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

well said Glenn and that was my point as well over confdience can kill

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

im not over confident in it, at the moment, im happy with my limits that i have reached with the car. i personally prefer to get into the car with a bit more power, and learn my limits in that car.
    only because i can leave it months, and go yeh ill up the boost now, but then i will be completly used to the car, and up the boost, and still try and reach the same limits i was getting before. if i do it while im not use to the car, ive got a better chance of learning how it works.

so i have been looking at boost gauges, and at the moment, i just want something cheap and cheerful, im assuming this will work, as its just a boost gauge? or am i wrong?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3D4%26ps%3D42

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

if i up the boost while i've not harnessed the power I have already got, ive got a better chance of finding out just how quickly a Legnum will go through backwards though a hedge.....

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with wanting more power - we all do. But I honestly think you should put your cash into maintenance and other upgrades like suspension and brakes first.

As for the gauge - If you're going that way (and a boost gauge on it's own can be useful), then get something decent. That's a very cheap looking gauge and I wouldn't rely on it reading accurately or reliably.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

i will eventually be getting proper gauges, at the moment i just want an idea of what boost im putting out. wont be there to long, ive got to find somewhere out of site to mount some proper gauges.

now i have also been reading, that people are upgrading the BOV`s, which of course i will end up doing. but can the standard bov handle 10psi. the reason im querying it, is that. i have read, that the cars should put out 12psi, through the bov. now mine being the auto, will put out 7-8psi. correct?
    so surely i shouldnt have to upgrade, the bov for an extra 3 psi? or am i wrong there. you guys know better

Name
    Lorraine
    Last Online
    20-05-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ToyotaMR2GTI-16

I have to agree with what the boys have said especially with K's last post ^^^^^

If you are seriously looking at upping power you need to look at up grading your brakes first. Legnums are heavy old beasts and you need to know that you can stop it... standard brakes just aren't up to the job imho.

Mods are great f but your own safety should undoubtedly come first.

Have a real good think about it Kyle.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

im running EBC vented and grooved and drilled discs, with EBC red stuff pads, and i believe superblue racing brake fluid.
    i do need to do a brake bleed on it though, im not happy with the pedal, its to sqaushy for my liking. my comfort in a brake pedal is one that is hard,

Name
    Lorraine
    Last Online
    20-05-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ToyotaMR2GTI-16

Fair enough.....

Was under the impression you were running completely standard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast