Thread: Rear Diff

Last Online
    16-03-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Galant VR4

Rear Diff

Have had 96 Galant VR4 for 9 days and it has blown its rear diff to pieces. Now I'm told this is common especially with mods like pod filter, front mounted intercooler, double plate clutch, and yaw and traction control. Is this true? am i facing multiple diff failures? HELP...!!

Name
    shaun
    Last Online
    31-07-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    'charged Mx5

looks like someones not been changing the fluids.........

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    31-03-2017
    Membership ID
    NZ051
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR4 5 Spee
    My Garage
    Visit

I think this either the third or fourth diff failure that iv heard of in the time iv been around CVR4, so its not very common. One was after a boost controller was fitted. The other is carstens not-so-stock facelift, which has had a gearbox bearing issue before this.

Other than that as far as manuals go most people like myself just end up killing the clutch.

I dont think it will be an ongoing issue, but its hard to say. Certainly the UK guys and Bradc etc are putting some big power through the stock diff.

If you are really worried, it may be better to go straight for a S-AYC evo diff. Do a search for some more info, or theres a full write up in the members section.

2/1/06 Rangikapiti Pa - Mangonui, Northland

Last Online
    16-03-2008
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Galant VR4

Fluids where black and carbon build up was evident, straight out of japan. I've been told that the double plate clutch will have meant that the power would have gone onto the diff instead of the clutch. also under power the rear diff will get a 60:40 ratio of power as opposed to the standard 50:50???? was a standard take off from the lights, not racing. clean broke off six teeth...

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I've got a spare one, $700 for you. In good condition and has done about 110km.

You'll find that launching hard with a twin plate clutch will screw the diff and the transfer case.

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

yeah its not common at all aye,. id say just lack of maintanence more then anything. and id doubt that it would be the clutch doing the damage, more constant launching!

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

get an evo 7,8, or 9 S-AYC diff and fit it, theuy are much stronger and are a different design from the earlier evo 4,5 and 6. (and legnum). It is a straight swap apart from the flange to the prop, use the one from your old diff, and a couple of 10mm spacers at the back two bolts, as some of the later diffs have an extra casting at the back. Apart from that very easy swap and much better handling.
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.