Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will there be another boy racer crack down?

Name
    Aaron
    Last Online
    27-10-2023
    Country
    Japan
    Car
    2000 Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth
    If you want to hold a high performance license, you then pay a fair (as in not too much) fee every year or 2 to undergo a driving review.
    lol, I pay for owning a high performance car already in all that tax at the petrol pump and the already high insurance premiums! I do agree though there needs to be a lot better driver education.
    Daily driver / circuit car / drag car / show car / weekend cruiser / project car

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

yeah but a high performance license that would let you go 130kmh on the motorway would be worth paying for

Name
    Jan
    Last Online
    26-04-2015
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Series 2 Legnum

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    rubbish, how much will insurance cost per year for a $1000 with 3rd party only coverage in a rural area?

btw Jan, got your money for the filter
    Cheers Brad.

From putting options into the State Insurance online quote calculator, 3rd party insurance in a rural area (RD1 Opotiki and a 1990 Mazda Familia were the options I picked), it could be as much as $300 - a fair amount of money if you're on a benefit. WINZ might give people like that grants or advances if it was essential though I guess, meaning that taxpayers pay for it anyway.
    Last edited by Robotnik123; 19-03-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

you dont have compulsory insurance in NZ.........dear god, i wouldnt be caught dead without insurance, you want to get the british laws in(what the hell am i saying)
    insurance, liscence,tax, mot/wof?
    driving without insurance in the uk, is an instant ban, tax you get fined, mot you get fined. but now most police cars have ANPR, or automatic numberplate recognition, detects the car, and driver, and insurance. none of them you get pulled, no insurance, loose your liscence

Name
    Kayne
    Last Online
    21-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    94' Galant VR-4

The main problem with that is our public transport is ****, you guys up in auckland may have trains and what not, but there isn't much down here.

The bus system isn't the best, and other than that you could walk.
    1994 Galant VR-4, 6A13TT conversion 230kw atw
    2000 Legnum VR-4, Daily driver
    1995 FTO GPX

Name
    Whenz
    Last Online
    04-02-2020
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori

petrol going up in auckland, so they can help fund the new public tranportation system they (govt) plan to get. ie electric trains?, more roads... how many roads do you fullas need up dea? geez! hahahaha..
    VR-4

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    I dunno, if you buy a car, pay for registration, keeping it up to WOF standard, as well as petrol, it is pretty expensive. Most people would be able to catch a bus or a train for similar or cheaper money.
    Very good point Brad, now you have just explained one of the reasons some lower income people drive around in un-registered, uninsured cars with no WOF.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Goku
    The main problem with that is our public transport is ****, you guys up in auckland may have trains and what not, but there isn't much down here.

The trains we have are useless for the great majority of the population. due to the sprawling nature of Auckland (look on the weather reports in the news to see what area is covered) and the fact we are on an isthmus leads to very poor public transportation. Getting in and out of the city is a nightmare and public transport costs too much for it to be worth the time it takes.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by d i c k i e s
    petrol going up in auckland, so they can help fund the new public tranportation system they (govt) plan to get. ie electric trains?, more roads... how many roads do you fullas need up dea? geez! hahahaha..
    We need many many more roads, even more widened, a second harbour crossing, better public transport networks and much more besides.

If it wasn't for most of the rest of the country whose roads are paid for by the taxes coming off the Auckland roads, we wouldn't be in this position to begin with.

Its funny how people complain about the amount of money going into Auckland transportation at the moment, but don't stop to find out where that money came from in the first place

Name
    Jan
    Last Online
    26-04-2015
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Series 2 Legnum

The trains we have are useless for the great majority of the population. due to the sprawling nature of Auckland (look on the weather reports in the news to see what area is covered) and the fact we are on an isthmus leads to very poor public transportation. Getting in and out of the city is a nightmare and public transport costs too much for it to be worth the time it takes.
    I am from Auckland originally, but left at the turn of the century. I am glad I did too. In Auckland I was doing like 1hr+ commutes in each direction to get to and from work. In Wellington I can be into work in around 10-15mins and the distance in kms I travel now is not actually that much less than it was in Aucks.

Name
    Dale
    Last Online
    15-09-2020
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Mazda6,EG Civic

It's a take and not give policy for insurance Co's though isn't it generally. I mean if driver X puts a couple of go fast bits on his car he gets charged more or just wont be accepted for cover, but if driver Y puts better suspension and upgrades the braking system do they get rewarded for it????
    I'm not arguing...I'm just offering an endless series of contrary points of view.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by Goku

Trains? In Auckland? If you can call this glorified mechano set a rail network They are useless and regularly run late - that's why I have stopped using them as they cannot be relied upon.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Very good point Brad, now you have just explained one of the reasons some lower income people drive around in un-registered, uninsured cars with no WOF.

Yes, and they shouldn't be driving around at all!

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

we were talking about this today.

compulsary insurance - cant insure a high perfomance car until you have been driving for x amount of years.

cannot get finance if you are under a certain age to buy certain cars

defensive driving compulsary

these were some of the ideas that were brought up....

now, how does nailing cars with loud exhausts prevent idiots killing themselves? i really cannot see where they are coming from with this one!

also, you have to ask yourself, WHERE THE HELL ARE THE PARENTS?!?!?!
    if i came home at 16yo with a vr4 or wrx my old man would have taken the keys off me, kicked my arse into next week and sold it! my first car was a 86 familia 1500cc and i think that this is the sort of thing young drivers should be driving!

you should have to earn the right to drive a nice car. i busted my arse to be able to buy my car and in the time it tool me to do it (6 -7 years!) i learnt how to drive properly!

let the young guys race around in cars that struggle to the speed limit, not hit double the limit in less time then it takes to put there shoes on!

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    31-03-2017
    Membership ID
    NZ051
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1998 VR4 5 Spee
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru ETA
    my first car was a 86 familia 1500cc and i think that this is the sort of thing young drivers should be driving!

you should have to earn the right to drive a nice car. i busted my arse to be able to buy my car and in the time it tool me to do it (6 -7 years!) i learnt how to drive properly!
    Hey big spender my first car was a 1300cc 88 mirage spacewagon But even that was a handful when loaded up, and trying to be a **** for my friends

I think thats absolutely the right point that you make, it is inevitable that we try and show off or do something stupid, the difference is when i messed up, i slide across the road, or spun out doing 60ks or less, not 180 in a residential.

SO to summarise what i get from reading this thread.

Cars More powerful
    Cars Cheaper,
    More People,
    People Just as stupid,,

Outcomes 10X more serious...

2/1/06 Rangikapiti Pa - Mangonui, Northland

Name
    Whenz
    Last Online
    04-02-2020
    Country
    New Zealand-Maori

My first car was a 1993 Galant VR4.
    Never did anything stoopid. But i did spin out for some reason on a straight doing 50-60km?

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

if i do a rough calculation, to keep myself and my car legal, each year, is costing me 3,500 nzd. im prepared to pay that, so that i dont loose my liscence, can own a fast car. now from a different point of view, when i learned to drive, it was in a 1.8 carisma, then onto a 1.9 diesel go nowhere toledo. then i went onto a 1600 type 3 vw, onto a mk1 golf GTi by the time i was 18, then i went up to the galant V6.
    now i find that insurance companys dont mind me anymore, im now 20 years old, ive got a VR4, ive had no accidents, no speeding fines or points on my liscence.
    if you keep yourself clean, then your fine.
    20 years old driving 3 years officially(from date passed test)
    no accidents, 2 years insurance no claims bonus, no points on my license.
    i now have a VR4, which i am paying 2700 nzd insurance on. which is cheap, believe it or not...

what they should do, is offer a cheap insurance policy which covers you only third party fire and theft, compulsary. for the first 3 years of driving, and you are not allowed to modify your car in anyway. and this should be then checked at every wof, or random roadside checks. anyone caught modifying there car should be severly punished.
    after that, you can then buy a bigger car, and so on.

im not against modifying, but against idiots who cant drive to save there lives in fast cars

Name
    Simon
    Last Online
    04-04-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Airtrek Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru ETA

now, how does nailing cars with loud exhausts prevent idiots killing themselves? i really cannot see where they are coming from with this one!
    I am not sure it is a direct method to save lives, more a way to attack boy racers. A lot of the concerns about boy racers isn't their driving it is the growing anti-social behaviour in their culture (see the mayhem in Chch a few weekends back). The sound limit on exhausts gives the police a reason to get some of them of the road, as well as combating the nuisance caused by the noise of some of the exhausts.

Its also something the government and police can do that just affects boy racers and not other drivers. You don't see nanas driving down to the supermarket in her Honda Jazz with a 95dB exhaust. You do see the odd middle aged driver with Big Bore exhausts, but they are generally milder ones that improve performance and sound, not ones that are just there to make the car loud.

Personally, I think the rules are still going to be too soft. There are so many cars with exhausts that are simply there to make the car as loud as possible to grab attention and to annoy people. Those type of exhausts don't even make the car sound good. That being said, I love a proper big bore like my old VR4 had that was only marginally louder than the factory job, but gave significant performance gains, and gave it a V8 like rumble.

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

yeah but some of the falcons we get in at work are bloody loud. and we all know that if i was sitting at the lights next to a miidle aged man in a v8 falcon, we all know whos going to get done!

i have been in my mates car and been pulled over and some of the crap the the cops try to pull is just stupid... they see a modified car and just have to pull us over. the dork was going over the bloody thing for 45mins trying to find something! everything was certed and it was legit as. but the cop still decided to make the law up as he went along! apparantly his car wasnt alowed to have the rear seat out and a 1/2 cage....even tho the cert plate had it all on there that the car was now a 2 seater and had the cage that was motorsport nz aproved.

the whole time he was wanking around us at least 10 people ran the red light at the interesection we were next to.....

whats more important i have to ask...

Name
    Jan
    Last Online
    26-04-2015
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Series 2 Legnum

Yeah some of your ideas have merit. Still I'd prefer if we didn't adopt a lot of those things here. Eg. that computerized license plate recognition camera could infringe on people's civil liberties in all sorts of ways and I'd prefer not to have my wherabouts tracked by CCTVs everywhere I go. I don't think we necessarily have to emulate the UK if we can at all help it.

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    if i do a rough calculation, to keep myself and my car legal, each year, is costing me 3,500 nzd. im prepared to pay that, so that i dont loose my liscence, can own a fast car. now from a different point of view, when i learned to drive, it was in a 1.8 carisma, then onto a 1.9 diesel go nowhere toledo. then i went onto a 1600 type 3 vw, onto a mk1 golf GTi by the time i was 18, then i went up to the galant V6.
    now i find that insurance companys dont mind me anymore, im now 20 years old, ive got a VR4, ive had no accidents, no speeding fines or points on my liscence.
    if you keep yourself clean, then your fine.
    20 years old driving 3 years officially(from date passed test)
    no accidents, 2 years insurance no claims bonus, no points on my license.
    i now have a VR4, which i am paying 2700 nzd insurance on. which is cheap, believe it or not...

what they should do, is offer a cheap insurance policy which covers you only third party fire and theft, compulsary. for the first 3 years of driving, and you are not allowed to modify your car in anyway. and this should be then checked at every wof, or random roadside checks. anyone caught modifying there car should be severly punished.
    after that, you can then buy a bigger car, and so on.

im not against modifying, but against idiots who cant drive to save there lives in fast cars

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast