Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Another HC dials thread...

As effect of some threads 'bout HC dials, let me present that mini guideline for anyone who is willing to made some styling by himself.

Potential problems spotted:
    1. General dials wiring, pins location, an controls location.
    2. Rev counter differences
    3. GDI control in EA3x vehicles

If you have just EA5x vehicle only one problem you have is the dials wiring. Owners of EA2x, EA3x, and EA6x have to modify rev unit, and EA3x needs also GDI control.
    Then let's begin!

General dials rewiring:
    Pins and bulbs on back needs to be rewired:
    1. Screen washer control – pin no 3 - make the bridge to proper bulb
    2. Oil level control – pin no 5 - make the bridge to proper bulb, cut wiring path just after made bridge
    3. 12V feeding HC – make the bridge from pinu no 4 to wiring path from pinu no 5 just after cut
    4. GDI light control – made in free place for control just below „check engine” control – the bridge from pin no 16 to wiring path of pin no 8. Then, cut wiring path to isolate that control, and provide 12V to bulb as well - see picture.
    You can find my rewiring solutions on attached picture:
    [IMG=http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8660/modyfikacjazegarwhcjpgzj7.th.png]
    dictionary:
    "przerwanie" - cutting
    "poziom oleju" - oil level
    "spryskiwacz" - screen washer

Vehicles with GDI engines needs additional GDI control. The only solution is to make own GDI control. I personally wouldn't do it and use present "tow bar" control as GDI, but if we are desperate, then follow as:
    1. print on any good colour laser printer sticker with GDI control (suggested dark green transparent foil and black ink/toner),
    2. then remove/clean proper area using screen-printing disolvent (both sides of dials are printed in black, so you have to clean both one),
    3. dry, and paste your sticker onto upper (visible) side.
    These will look nasty and awful, so the only solution to camouflage it - make darker that plexi shield on dials using any window tintenig foil (smoked/brown colour). It may look like this:
    [IMG=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1129/p1000906po8.th.jpg]

But, in my opinion - avoid it. Too much effort, and result might be real nasty if you have no experience. Just rewire any not used control.

Rev counter modification:
    Rev counter unit needs to be modified if it to be placed in vehicle with 4G63, 4G64 or diesel engines (4 cylinder).
    This is a unit from 4 cylinder vehicle (possible minimal differences, but not important):
    [IMG=http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/8750/klasycznyobrotomierz4g6vc9.th.jpg]
    Blue - the elements to replace onto HC rev unit.
    Another picture with these elements:
    [IMG=http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/584/widokzgryklasycznejpytkfg7.th.jpg]
    This is rev counter taken from 2.4 GDI (4G64) vehicle, in case of petrol engine 2.0 (4G63) or diesel the difference is in paralell resistors: in 4G64 value is 6.1kΩ (resistors 15k and 11k), but in 4G63 value is 5.8kΩ. In reality there is no matter, so you shouldn't be bothered (possible wrong indication of 50-100 revs).

This is rev counter unit HC from vehicle with engine 2.5V6 (6A13). Blue elements should be removed.
    [IMG=http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5439/obrotomierzhc6a13vy2.th.jpg]
    Elements to be removed.
    [IMG=http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2431/widokzgryhctl9.th.jpg]
    Final picture of modified rev counter. Blue - elements already replaced. Watch the wiring path cutted and resistor 24kΩ placed there. (I placed one from wiring side). The same, I placed 10kΩ resistor between diode and +12V from wiring side (diode was placed just into 42kΩ resistor place - from elements side).
    [IMG=http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/1016/modyfikacjaobrotomierzaaj1.th.jpg]

And finnaly, plug and play. It's working with no fuzz or mess. Just as pictured:
    [IMG=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2449/p1000908pr4.th.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BraindG; 23-08-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Name
    I
    Last Online
    07-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70

I see you're now selling these dials on ebay, so I thought I'd weigh in with a few things...

1) Mitsubishi did fit the GDIs with the HC dash from the factory in later models.
    2) The dash you're selling isn't appropriate for the GDI as the GDI redline is lower than that of the V6 and the 2.0. See here for a picture of a real 2.4 GDI HC dash: http://www.askisaac.com/images/car/galantdash.jpg
    Last edited by BraindG; 23-08-2010 at 09:49 AM.
    It's been a crazy year, But through all the damage done,
    I have turned and I have learned, To make next year a better one,
    Singing Oh Hallelujah,
    Singing Oh I am home.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Sibson
    I see you're now selling these dials on ebay, so I thought I'd weigh in with a few things...

1) Mitsubishi did fit the GDIs with the HC dash from the factory in later models.
    2) The dash you're selling isn't appropriate for the GDI as the GDI redline is lower than that of the V6 and the 2.0. See here for a picture of a real 2.4 GDI HC dash: http://www.askisaac.com/images/car/galantdash.jpg
    re: no.1
    I didn't say that. I said it's very rare.

re no.2
    I agree, but, how often are you really concern 'bout red rev limit while you are driving? How often your revs are more than 5k-6k? So, in real life it does NOT really matter.

And in general, if you really want to upgrade your dials to HC one, it's easier to find used one from 2.5V6 and for additional cost few pences make for your vehicle, than wait ages for appropriate one. BTW, new HC shield for dials is about 450 quid in MMC.

Last Online
    02-08-2010
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant V6 2.5

I want one... Whats the link for the item in ebay? I searches but could not find it.. :S:S

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

I sold mine to Spain, but on several occasions you can find one on eBay, so with some effort you can modify any to your Galant.
    I've found one for Galant EA3x (2.4 GDI) on Polish auction web "allegro". As I see, rev meter to modify for your 6cyl engine (reverse as in my guideline). If you want one give me a shout, 'cos my bro lives in Poland, so no problems with purchase. But honestly, it seems to me they want to much for that one (some approx 100 GBP).
    There's link:
    http://moto.allegro.pl/item339638083...we_czarne.html
    BTW, 1 GBP is approx 4.3 PLN

Last Online
    02-08-2010
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant V6 2.5

Ok I found one HC Dial here in my country exactly from the same car I have (2.5 V6 non-tiptronic) The speed limit and rev counter are exactly the same. But I have a couple of questions.

1. The actual Dial I have in my car has the "old school" analog odometer, the one that is not digital. The new HC dial has a digital odometer. Will the digital odometer work In my car. I case it wont work, what should I do to make it work?

2. In the center of the dials, you have the transmission markings. Mine has PRND32L. The new one has PRND4321. My transmission is not tiptronic. Will the markings work in my car? If not, how can I make them work?

3. Since the dials are almost the same except for HC Lights, Digital Odometer and The transmission markings on the center. What are the exact changes I have to do to the wiring diagram. Have in mind that I know nothing about wiring etc.. So please be as specific as you can.

Thanks! I'll be waiting for your reply

Actual Dials

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

luisigor: just quick reply...
    1. odometer - it will work without any mods
    2. a/t lights should work properly (gonna be highlighted only that marks which is your a/t working. My advice: compare electric paths (light marks to pins in plug), maybe few bridges and cuts need to be done.
    3. you didn't read carefully that thread !!!
    so once again:
    General dials rewiring:
    2. Oil level control – pin no 5 - make the bridge to proper bulb, cut wiring path just after made bridge
    3. 12V feeding HC – make the bridge from pinu no 4 to wiring path from pinu no 5 just after cut

dictionary:
    "przerwanie" - cutting
    As you see without point no 4 obviously as it is about GDI engine cars.

Name
    calisto
    Last Online
    26-07-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    GALANT COLT LAN

Quote Originally Posted by swinks
    luisigor: just quick reply...
    1. odometer - it will work without any mods
    2. a/t lights should work properly (gonna be highlighted only that marks which is your a/t working. My advice: compare electric paths (light marks to pins in plug), maybe few bridges and cuts need to be done.
    3. you didn't read carefully that thread !!!
    so once again:
    General dials rewiring:

dictionary:
    "przerwanie" - cutting
    As you see without point no 4 obviously as it is about GDI engine cars.

swinks hi whant to leave YOU MY PERSONAL THANKS! for post this tread because you help me A LOTTTTT lol. thanks mate is working just find.!! by the way my galant is a estate diesel! and had that stupid old faschion dials.
    i recomend this mod to every one.

you are a cool guy!!!
    cheers
    Last edited by calistofox; 27-11-2009 at 01:28 AM.
    NOT A VR4... BUT IT SEEMS LIKE ONE!

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

revival form the dead,hey um if i have a 2.4 High Viz Dash and am putting it in tthe same type of vehicle currently without the high Viz do i still need to change the whole rev counter wiring etc etc?? or just the powers?

Name
    calisto
    Last Online
    26-07-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    GALANT COLT LAN

Quote Originally Posted by VR4WGN
    revival form the dead,hey um if i have a 2.4 High Viz Dash and am putting it in tthe same type of vehicle currently without the high Viz do i still need to change the whole rev counter wiring etc etc?? or just the powers?
    in my case yes! but on yours maybe is plug and play

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

have pushed it in and its not lighting up ,so is there another option to try without going extensivly?

Name
    calisto
    Last Online
    26-07-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    GALANT COLT LAN

Quote Originally Posted by VR4WGN
    have pushed it in and its not lighting up ,so is there another option to try without going extensivly?
    ummmm , you have to convert for sure my friend! like i did

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

You need to connect pin 4 and 5 as per the earlier posts in this thread.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

Brad pin 4 and 5 from?? i looked through all the pictures and cant make heads and tails of anything,please help me dude....

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

pin numbers 4 and 5 on the original picture in the very top post.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

like this sir???

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

in the yelllow square just bridge a wire form 4 and 5 to join them?

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Basically yes. You're best to confirm with someone that has done it before though! I think you will need to do this on my ST-R.

Name
    calisto
    Last Online
    26-07-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    GALANT COLT LAN

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    Basically yes. You're best to confirm with someone that has done it before though! I think you will need to do this on my ST-R.
    on this picture you can see the top here is the socket the number that whe are tlaking about, just do a brigde

http://img231.imageshack.us/i/modyfi...whcjpgzj7.png/

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Just to confirm again Calistofox and swinks, to install a VR-4 dash into a non-high vis n/a V6, what needs to be done? Just pin 4-5 or the resistor soldering work on the tacho? At the moment with no wiring mods, the tacho jumps around and isn't steady at all at the moment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast