United Kingdom
    Car
    COTY

Legnum on ebay

Hi,

I'm after buying a legnum & I've spotted one on ebay -
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=005

Is it known about on CVR4 ??

What's the considered option of the experts hereabouts - is it worth a punt ?? It's not near to me which is why I ask - save me the bother of a 5 hr round trip if it's a bag of pants.

Cheers.

Paddy

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

If he has been honest then it does sound a good car.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Can't say as I know the seller from the ebay ID.

It seems okay from the ad. Could be a good 'un, could be a bad 'un! A couple of minor pointers - prefacelift tiptronics are 260 bhp not 280. The front tow cover is missing. (About £40 from a stealership, IIRC.) The battery is a small one which probably means the car is a warm area spec - i.e. very little under body corrosion protection, no heated elements on the bottom of the screen, smaller alternator, no heated mirrors. Most of these are no problem, as long as you get it undersealed pronto.

Good luck, and let us know!

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

He is a bit out on bhp it is a 260 not 280 standard.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    29-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2000 vr4 legnum

This list is not correct either

As this car is the Type-S is has the following options over the base VR4

Active yaw control

Switch able traction control [lunatic button]

Full-length sunroof and climate control

5-speed triptronic gearbox

HID lights genuine gas discharge lights NOT blue bulbs

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi and welcome to the club.

The advert you mentioned is offering a car at a very hopeful price! I'm not saying that its overpriced but it would have to be EXCEPTIONAL to command that sort of price.

BHP is 260 on pre-facelift auto's.

With the mileage at 44K miles, it is due a cambelt change which is expensive, so check its been done!

I think there may be some club members up that way, so someone might go look for you, wait and see who checks out this thread.

Good luck with your hunt and if you haven't already done so take a look at the buyers guide
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

He's said that the plate is a private plate - but is it not an NI plate? Whilst you can use them in the mainland UK, AFAIK, they can cause a few more issues with insurance, etc. But, if he's already converted everything and it's road-legal (well, it apparently has an MOT!), then I would have thought it would be fine.

He is selling it a bit quick though having just got it? Potential issues? Might be being a bit pessimistic there, but you need to be sure.

Hopefully, a local CVR4 member may be able to assist you. Good luck!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Does he realise he has a Fujitsubo exhaust? Gimme gimme gimme. Nice looking car though.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    Paddy
    Last Online
    29-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    COTY

Hi,

Thank you all for your input - it's very much appreciated.

I'd spotted the missing tow cover & incorrect BHP & thought the plates were a bit irish (I had no idea about insurance hassles with this tho'); but clueless about the battery size & exhaust - you guys know your stuff !!

What Nev said is bang on - he's had it since Feb so a bit too soon to be flogging it because it doesn't get driven often IMO.

I having to go down to Devon tomo for a funeral & won't be back until Monday so unless it doesn't meet the reserve & gets reslisted I'll prolly not be buying it ;( It a shame tho', I do so want it to be a good car & be mine.

Thanks again,

Paddy

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm now not so convinced that they cause insurance issues after all, but it's a bit odd to have it on a fresh import. It's possible he imported it into Belfast though!

Name
    Paddy
    Last Online
    29-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    COTY

I've chatted with the seller - it's a P reg as issued from the DVLA but he's got his own NI plate on there.. From what I can see on the internet it's not that rare to get a NI plate as a 'private' plate - it's also used for hiding the age of the car as NI plates don't indicate year. It's not via NI anyhoo.

No underseal (only done 300mi in this country). I'm told that the belts an' than have all been done (in Japan).

It ticks all my boxes except colour - I don't know what his reserve is but IMO the buy it now price is about 15% too much given what's available at the mo.

Thanks again.

p

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Fair point! I do know that an unregistered NI plate cannot go straight onto a mainland UK car, i.e. has to go on an NI car first, then be transferred. It is a good way of having no age identifier though!

If you're interested in the car, make him an offer after the auction ends - if it doesn't meet its reserve?

Name
    Paddy
    Last Online
    29-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    COTY

It didn't meet the reserve so it's been relisted on a best offer/buy it now
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:WNARL:GB:1123. THere's new photos here - it looks nice. Really nice.

It got to £3k, the buy it now was £5k, I don't know what the reserve was but he said he wouldn't let it go for less than 4 & a biggish bit thou. I'm tempted still but for a few more hundred I could by thecustomers leggy on sale here which has leather & a 1yr warranty.

Anybody over that way with an hour to spare this w/e care to give me a hand looking over it & offering opinions of a guide price ??

Cheers.

Paddy