Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

No problem sending packages between UK-mainland-UK. Well... as long as the package does not contain 'exiting' stuff like NOS bottle/containers (which was the only package from the UK that ever was causing trouble).

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

I am happy to help try and get parts from Germany if needed.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Last Online
    11-03-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant, Prelude

Good stuff guys, hopefully I'll be able to buy in August and if I need a hand with anything I'll drop a message or pm etc, seems to be ok and then the rust can be banished forever! hehehe Cheers for the info and help offers guys, much appreciated.

Chris

Name
    Richie
    Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '97 legnum MT

strange. Vreg, 140k+ miles, bubbling on both arches. my old car, 1998 S reg, 170k+ miles, not a hint of bubbling. unless of course the old car had already been to the bodyshop before i bought it 4 years ago
    1998 2.0 GLS>1999 2.4 GDI>2001 2.5 sport>1997 VR4 + 2000 2.5 sport
    1997 legnum (manual)
    CUSCO rear strut brace
    BILSTEIN springs on uprated shocks
    3" S/S downpipes and exhaust
    induction kit
    EVO V RS transfer box
    EVO VIII brembos
    HEL brake lines
    V6 sport interior
    laser cut engine cover
    GRP EVO style bonnet
    18" inovite redlines
    HKS SSQV
    2003 Mazda 6 2.0 TS estate

Last Online
    11-03-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant, Prelude

All down to the treatment Scanny, some people look after cars and some don't, if you don't then rust will appear from stone chips and the like but regular cleaning and using a good quality wax will help keep it at bay by sealing in the metal and giving some extra protection from mild abrasions and chips. Things are a tad costly at the moment but soon I will have some new arch panels and work can start on my prelude which is coming off the road to become a mad mad race built monster kind of thing hehehe.

Chris

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Duo
    All down to the treatment Scanny, some people look after cars and some don't, if you don't then rust will appear from stone chips and the like but regular cleaning and using a good quality wax will help keep it at bay by sealing in the metal and giving some extra protection from mild abrasions and chips. Things are a tad costly at the moment but soon I will have some new arch panels and work can start on my prelude which is coming off the road to become a mad mad race built monster kind of thing hehehe.

Chris
    i suggested the same for garrys lude as that thing is back on the driveway, i got told ever so kindly where to go

i will be needing some of them arches very soon, Don your about an hour from garrys dads, if you get i will ask garry to ask his dad to see about if he can sort it for you!

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

When I had my arches treated and re-sprayed a few months back (admittedly they were so light on rust on the lips of the inner arch but I wanted to get them done before it took hold), the bodyshop thickly applied underseal to the inner lip of the arch so water, dirt, etc, doesn't sit there.

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSanne

links not working, it just comes up with a page but no info on it

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Name
    Harry
    Last Online
    03-04-2011
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Hey Guys

I drive a 2001 Galant V6 Sport saloon, silver

It is mechanically sound, 72K miles

One problem, dreaded rust in rear arches

It went to the bodyshop 3 months ago for treatment and re-spray. The bodyshop told me the rust would come back at some stage. They thickly applied underseal to the inner lip of the arch to stop water sitting there. The guy in the bodyshop said the galant rust problem is due to double wall rear arches holding water.

Anyway, the rust is starting again, it is a real pain!

Don't want to shell out another £300 for a few rust free months until it returns again

I spoke to a different bodyshop who said they could weld new arches in and colour match them (only one bodyshop I found who were keen to do this), it sounds like a big job, stripping seats out of car, etc.

Has anyone had an experience of getting new arches welded in? This guy says he can make the arches himself

I'm in Northern Ireland

Thank You

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

Checking out my wheel arches today (in the snow!) I found that on the inner lip there is a very slight amount of rust between the two skins. Is this indicative of rust inside, or would it be possible to grind back the lip in the summer time with a die grinder and prime/seal the bare metal?
    Mitsubishi? They made the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor! I ain't sellin' Hitler's canoe to no traitor! Hop on your sushi-boat and git!

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

That sounds like the perfect idea - and should work wonderfully.

I would also use something like Jenolite rust treatment ( www.jenolite.com ) before you prime and seal the bare metal.

Has it come through or is there fresh signs of rust on the outer lip?

I was lucky to just have very light surface rust on just the outer lip - or so that's all I could see - which is why I wasted no time in getting it sorted.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

The very edges of the wheel arch are slightly rippled but have not corroded through, I think this may be due to the expansion of the rust? The tri-star god is punishing me for my lackluster wheel arch cleaning Either way if this doesn't work then the wheel arch will have to be cut out and repaired, so I suppose I've got nothing to lose.

I have seen Granville Rust Cure recommended by Mini owners (they should know what they're talking about!), so I was thinking of using that and then the POR-15 system over the top which handily comes in black. After that perhaps heavy underseal to stop water/mud sitting there as they did with yours. I'm going to get some of the POR 15 to do some cosmetic touch ups in the engine bay anyway on some light surface rust on the slam panel and maybe some of the suspension components.

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

I use vactan rust converter. The best I have used so far. POR15 isn't really suitable in my opinion as you need an awful lot of prep to make sure it works properly .I used Bilt hamber electrox primer which is very high in zinc content and then top coat and dinitrol 4941 on top of that if it can't be seen

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

I got an idea.

If so many of us are in need of replacing the wheel arches them selfs due to them being to fecked, why not see about a group buy?
    I know they are not that pricey to buy anyway, but non the less its always nice to get things cheaper.

what do you say to that?

Name
    Harry
    Last Online
    03-04-2011
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Hey Guys

I'd be keen to buy some rear galant arches for my 2001 galant v6 sport saloon. I had found someone who said he could make me some, but didn't come through

I have a bodyshop that can fit rear arches to my galant, I just need to get some

Has anyone successfully ordered a set and had them fitted? if so, please let me know where/what you bought

Thank You

John

Name
    Harry
    Last Online
    03-04-2011
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 Sport

Hey Guys

Any info on succesfully purchased galant rear arches would be great, the rust is coming through

Thank You

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

The company already listed above in Germany has these rear Galant arches:

Left: http://www.atp-autoteile.de/Product.aspx?p=5579743
    Right: http://www.atp-autoteile.de/Product.aspx?p=5579744
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

I am going to be buying these very shortly, like in the next week or two.
    IS anyone intrested in a group buy????

Name
    Stephen
    Last Online
    17-03-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    BMW 323i MSport

Is the rust on the rears mostly surface rust or it's all the way through from behing the lip?

Cheers
    scc

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast