Last Online
    22-12-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    LEGNUM VR4

Additives

Hi

What If Any Additives Do People Put In Their Vr4's ?
    Redex Do A Injector One ?
    Stp Power Boost ?

Thanks

Ben

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

I wouldnt bother, most octane "boosters" are pretty poo. I think 5th gear did a test on STP, NoS and another one and they actually reduced power. Ok it was on a Rover K series engine, but you get the general idea.
    It tends to go off pretty quick, so by the time its been packaged, delivered and sat on a shelf for a month or so its pretty flat by the time it ends up in your tank.
    Better off spending the extra money on higher Octane petrol, not that you'll be getting much on the Island. Harwoods or Fairlee are the only garage who sell 97 RON, for the price of a leg!
    BTW Where are you on the island? Im in Ryde?
    No longer empty and frantic...

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

I use injector cleaner once a year, the car seems to feel better for it afterwards, I consider it a service item now.
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

I would caution against manganese (commonly known as MMT) octane boosters - Get the dosage wrong and you'll coat your plugs and cat with a nice layer of orange deposit. Not so bad for the plugs, but it will poison your cat - Not good!

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

There is a difference between OCTANE BOOSTERS and FUEL/INJECTOR CLEANERS !

I think Ben is referring to Additives, as in cleaners for the fuel system

Fuel cleaners for the injectors etc, can really make a difference..

I have always used an injector/fuel cleaner, especially after 1st purchasing a car. Normally after a couple of tank fulls of fuel, so as to see if it makes a difference. On most cars i have n, better noticed a minimum of 3mpg improvement, on top of better idling and better overall running..

I even put some fuel cleaner in the Gdi before it departed toward PSB, as it was revving and surging. Less than 2 miles after it went in the tank, the revs dropped to 700rpm, and the surging stopped completely .

With a New purchase, you never really know how the car has been treated and serviced. So for the sake of £5-£6, you might as well give it ago. Also the use of an induction cleaner can also give you benefits. Both can be purchased for less than a tenner. And that can be re-couped in a couple of tankfuls of fuel..

Obviously it pays to put a good quality fuel in your system from the start.. ie. VPOWER.. But even then it still don't hurt to use a fuel cleaner once or twice a year..

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

i put some injector cleaner in the day before my MOT and it sailed through i don't know if it made a difference but i was happy, 50 squids a lot of money on a fail so I'll use it next time
    "Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"................ (Gilles Villeneuve)