john
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum VR4

propshaft

I have been getting a knocking noise down the centre of my legnum. Last time this happened the pro went and i replaced it with another second hand one. Is this a common fault and is there any way of stopping it. It was the front part i replaced the UJ from the transfer box had come apart and made a bit of a mess of it's self.

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

Couple of other members have reported a similar problem. Phosty is one

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Never had any issues with propshaft.. but I know a few have.. it's certainly not a common problem....
    hopefully it's not another propshaft issue.. but if u need a propshaf , I have just removed 1 from my car..

cheers

WODJ

Name
    Ben
    Last Online
    03-03-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mitsubishi GTO
    My Garage
    Visit

There are three things that you get failing on the 4wd mitsus which seem to give the 'thud under the seat symptom'.

In order of frequency (ie most usual first)

Prop shaft mouts/bearings. You know the big rubber doughnuts in the centre of the prop? The rubber gets tired and starts to allow the prop to slap about in the mounts. You then get the kinkythunk as the prop twists and loads up/unloads against the bearings. These are prety common to go on galants, evos and gtos.

Next are the uj's in the prop itself. The bearings in there wear, particularly if the prop mount/rubber bearings etc have been warn for a while. You can get the uj's done at agricultural engineers, and they should also be able to balance the prop for you. You can do it yourself, but you have to cut the old uj out. I use oxy-acetelene to do that, but to be fair i have never found a uj the right size to use with mitsu props.

Finally lash in the rear diff or transfer box. Lash in either of these will get the propshaft thunkining and a kining and a ROCKing just like smashey and nicey listening to BTO! Basically a bit of lash in either will have the front wheels speeding up as you apply the drive, but slack in the rest of the drive train until it catches up. At which point you get a fantastic thunk as the whole lot loads up. To be fair this is rare on an evo/galant, but since the xfr box of a gto is off a fiat panda and the diff is from a 1969 capri its not as rare on those.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Ben.

PS, you can adjust the lash in the conventional diffs, but i dont know about the ayc ones.

Name
    john
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum VR4

Thanks for all your help people. Think i will change the whole thing and see how i get on from there.