Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Can the committee not be rewarded in any way due the time and effort they put in?

I presume CVR4 need an AGM, why doesnt CVR4 not pay for a slap up dinner and drinks for the committee when they have to attend this?

Mike
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Brian
    Last Online
    24-10-2012
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, S60R, GT-R

I can appreciate Mark's point about not haranguing the committee, but committee members choose to be on the committee, so the paid-up members of the club should be able to disagree (or agree!) depending on their point of view. Being a committee member means that you take the rough with the smooth but the membership must be able to voice an opinion if they think that a committee decision is wrong (for example, if they think that club funds are not being used to best advantage). That's democracy.

If I feel strongly enough about a committee decision, I have a couple of choices - I can apply to join the committee and try to influence club decisions, or I can leave. The third option of shutting up and doing nothing might suggest I don't feel strongly enough about it to do anything, which would be the position of most members, I suspect. A bit like politics and policitians, really ...

I have been in the club from the start (Member No 4) and appreciate all the work that Barry and others did to get the club moving and up to its current state. I don't have the time to be a committee member in this club, as I have too many other committee commitments in other clubs. That would limit my choices as above but, as a paid-up member, I believe I'm still allowed to voice my opinion.

I wouldn't support miller's suggestion, either. Committee membership should be purely voluntary. If you start paying them, in cash or in kind, their status changes. In 35+ years of committee memberships, I've never received, nor sought, a penny for my work and I would be disappointed if any committee member thought that the membership should pay anything to them other than committee-approved expenses.
    S60R | GT-R

artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner
    I can appreciate Mark's point about not haranguing the committee, but committee members choose to be on the committee, so the paid-up members of the club should be able to disagree (or agree!) depending on their point of view. Being a committee member means that you take the rough with the smooth but the membership must be able to voice an opinion if they think that a committee decision is wrong (for example, if they think that club funds are not being used to best advantage). That's democracy.

If I feel strongly enough about a committee decision, I have a couple of choices - I can apply to join the committee and try to influence club decisions, or I can leave. The third option of shutting up and doing nothing might suggest I don't feel strongly enough about it to do anything, which would be the position of most members, I suspect. A bit like politics and policitians, really ...

I have been in the club from the start (Member No 4) and appreciate all the work that Barry and others did to get the club moving and up to its current state. I don't have the time to be a committee member in this club, as I have too many other committee commitments in other clubs. That would limit my choices as above but, as a paid-up member, I believe I'm still allowed to voice my opinion.

I wouldn't support miller's suggestion, either. Committee membership should be purely voluntary. If you start paying them, in cash or in kind, their status changes. In 35+ years of committee memberships, I've never received, nor sought, a penny for my work and I would be disappointed if any committee member thought that the membership should pay anything to them other than committee-approved expenses.
    I completely agree with everything Brian's just said. In fact I was typing a reply along similar lines last night but my PC crashed before I submitted it.

Speaking personally for a moment, I am on the committee because I got the opportunity to join and I enjoy the fact that I can help drive the club. To do this however, feedback of every kind is absolutely crucial. You wouldn't sail a ship without listening to the crew, would you?

Case in point, one of the reasons we're holding a vote and soliciting opinion about the prize draw is because there's pros and cons for both 'Yes' and 'No'. As one would expect the committee members all have our own views on the prize draw too, but knowing what our members think is vital if we're to make a good decision that's in the best interests of the Club. And the only way we shall know what people think is when they comment and air their views. Without that, progression would stagnate pretty quickly.

On the subject of committee reward/renumeration, I appreciate the thought, but that would be a criminal waste of Club funding.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I hope the committee do get some kind of expenses based repayment for all the petrol, food, and drink that would normally be consumed in the meeting of CVR4 minds. CVR4 hospitality is very good!!!

and you don't have to give the petrol to the cars, if you are that way inclined you could put the coffee in the car and drink the petrol. however this is not recomended, as we way have to elect some new members very shortly, and that would never do.

but to be honest, the main bill faced would be petrol and some sort of claim must be made for that surely.

Doing for the love of it is one thing but doing for the love it and being £60 out of pocket every time there is meeting is another. £60 may be over stating it a bit but you get my drift.

Says he who own the July prize draw.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    07-12-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4

How nice it was to see a couple of Members giving the Committee support in such an open way on this forum. My personal, as well as the other Committee Members I'm sure, thanks to both of you.

I've already commented on aspects of the Prize Draw and some of the reasons we decided to implement it. As you all know, the outcome on that is now the subject of a Poll to see if Members wish to keep it or lose it.

I'll now address the latest direction this matter has taken. I'm talking personally and not on behalf of the Committee.

I think that Brian (Roadrunner) has got it just about right, with one exception that I'll address later. We ARE a democracy and any Member is allowed to agree or disagree with Committee decisions. And it works in reality ...... simply look at the matter in hand, the Prize Draw. Some Members have stated that they don't like it and want us to spend Club money differently. This has been taken aboard by the Committee and the Poll was instigated. We shall see the outcome later, but whatever the Members decide WILL be implemented by the Committee. Democracy in action!

And all Members should understand that whatever they decide, via the Poll, is ultimately what each Member of the Committee wants, because we want to do what makes Members happy and makes the Club grow. We have a noticeably unique Club. A generally happy Club with exceptionally supportive Members, and the Committee can only operate in this friendly environment otherwise it would transcend into a 'them & us' situation which is ultimately non-productive and could easily destroy the basic tenets of our Club.

By the way ...... I do hope that many of you have noticed in this and other threads that nearly all contributors have different ideas as to how the funds should be spent. That's fine, I have no issue with all these suggestions as we need them - but again I'll point out the numerous options we had (as a Committee).

I do think that the manner in which a VERY small number of Members complain about certain Committee decisions is unacceptable, but frankly it goes with the job. In general, any rudeness from any Member simply means that I discard their words as useless and pointless to my deliberations on behalf of Club matters. Therefore, even if they did have valid arguments, they are wasted.

Now, as to Brian's comments about Miller's kind suggestion regarding Committee remuneration. What absolute bull****! Do you all think that I do this for love? Do you think I don't like £££'s? I had hoped that all this might lead to an OBE or even a KBE (so that you would all have to call me 'Sir' ...... rather like Lord Bernmc).

All 'brown envelopes' accepted gracefully (and gratefully) .........
    RIP: Richard (Physician)

Bog standard silver VR4 except a decat pipe and quad exhaust outlets.

Name
    Brian
    Last Online
    24-10-2012
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, S60R, GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Physician
    Now, as to Brian's comments about Miller's kind suggestion regarding Committee remuneration. What absolute bull****! Do you all think that I do this for love? Do you think I don't like £££'s? I had hoped that all this might lead to an OBE or even a KBE (so that you would all have to call me 'Sir' ...... rather like Lord Bernmc).
    Ah, now, that is something we may be able to do something about When Scotland gets her independence, we'll undoubtedly need a Physician General, a position for which you are clearly eminently suited That position will carry, at the very least, a lordship The only downside (purely from your perspective, of course) is that you'd have to wear a kilt (which will likely be more comfortable than your Morris Dancing gear though ) and move to Scotland

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom

It's looking like a hung jury at the moment. Not sure how you can deal with that democratically.

If the prize draw continues, how regularly will this be reviewed? Presumably if the club finds a "better" use for the money it would stop??

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    07-12-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Alex

If the prize draw continues, how regularly will this be reviewed? Presumably if the club finds a "better" use for the money it would stop??
    This was always the case Alex. As stated in the initial post regarding this Prize Draw:

"At a Committee Meeting in 2007 it was decided that we would 'return' some of the Members funds to the Members although we weren't sure how this might best be achieved. After discussing various options we felt it would be good fun to have a monthly Prize Draw for all UK Members of CVR4.

The monthly Prize Draw is completely at the discretion of the Committee and may be terminated at any time. It is totally unrelated to the cost of Membership of CVR4. In other words, becoming a Member of CVR4 does NOT mean that any Member can expect to be included in any Prize Draw."

We were aware that there may be better ways of spending the Member's funds hence the wording above. If the vote is hung or the Members vote to keep the Draw then we will still review our spending regularly.

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Quote Originally Posted by Physician

All 'brown envelopes' accepted gracefully (and gratefully) .........
    no problem mate, send me your address and i will send you my electric/telephone/heating oil/counciltax etc bill, i always knew you were a true gent and this monent of unbridaled generosity has just reconfirmed that position for me.

Name
    Marcin
    Last Online
    03-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR4 Rall

I have got an Idea.
    If we got some spare funds, we may get a nice kettle for the Eurospec 2000 guys!
    We can have a coffee every time we get there then
    Last edited by Nevman; 26-08-2008 at 03:44 PM.
    Nevman

...And The Road Becomes My Bride...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456