Last Online
    24-02-2021
    Country
    Other
    Car
    galant v6 2.5 s

Lightbulb applied dohc to sohc engine

Dear all,
    my ride is galant v6 2.5L sohc with 165 hp, ihave idea to put the dohc head cyllinder from vr4 engine into my ride becaused the basic both engine is same 6A13. That is possible to do ? in my country is difficult to get vr4 because the spesification car imported is different. i want to increased the acceleration my ride with increased hp. thanks for your comment or advice.

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

it is possible, but youl need a lot of changes such as coil packs, ecu, rev counter from VR4, wiring loom, alternator bracket, manifolds, downpipes etc etc
    Also the compression ratio is different and I'm not quite sure how they alter it, whether it be different pistons, head gasket thickness, or even cylinder head chamber. Course you'll need all the intercooler etc. Just remembered, you need to chech the con rods are the same, VR4 has oil galleys to spray the bore, don't honestly know if the N/A has these. Hope that helps
    Last edited by The Vee; 22-06-2008 at 08:25 AM.

Name
    andi
    Last Online
    24-02-2021
    Country
    Other
    Car
    galant v6 2.5 s

So is more easy to swap the engine than to modified like this ? that the piston are same ? how if i replace the piston with vr4 , and add turbo ? or any sugestion if i want to apllied turbo to my vehicle (type turbo, max boost,) thanks .

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

you could try going down a supercharger route, know someone is making the kit for the FTO. to be fair i looked into this all, and its better to wait for a VR4 to come around, you will spend VR4 money upgrading a car to half of what the VR4 is

Name
    andi
    Last Online
    24-02-2021
    Country
    Other
    Car
    galant v6 2.5 s

oke friend but so far i know my galant model now is discontinued produce in my country and will be continous model by fortis not vr4, its 4 cylinder. So when i will have vr4 may be just a dream........

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

There were a couple of N/A 6A13 DOHC engine built, but they were development units, so i've no idea whether they were 6A13's with the 6A13TT DOHC heads on them, or just 6A13TT's with the turbos removed!
    No longer empty and frantic...

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

that is something we're not sure about either. It is easier to just buy a VR-4 engine or a VR-4 than try and convert a 6A13 n/a

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

If I was doing it again, I would still opt for complete engine swap rather than converting one into another. Its not easy whichever way you go. Have you decided to stay FWD? if so, If it's not already, I'd opt for a manual transmission as I don't think the FWD autobox would like the extra power.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

I'm impressed you haven't had any issues with your manual Andy!

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    I'm impressed you haven't had any issues with your manual Andy!
    Me too!

But, now you ain't gonna like this, I have just managed to source a spare manual box - should the worst happen
    Absolute rocking horse doo doos!

Name
    Paul Beazer
    Last Online
    27-12-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V50

I would be interested to hear how yours is holding out Andy. Any bearing noise? Have you checked / changed the gearbox oil since it was paired with the 6A13TT?

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Not really put a spanner to it since the conversion. The gearbox has been fine despite not filling it properly on that maiden voyage to IOW. That did possibly cause a little bearing noise, but several Ring trips later including Spa and of course a couple of Combes etc, it is no worse. Have always said I wanted to put new bearings in,even at the time of the conversion. This spare box will now allow me to do it without too much downtime. The car has been very reliable and really have no complaints. Done about 25000 miles now. Sorry if this seems a little off topic peeps but put the response here as it may give a little more thought for anyone doing this conversion. Oh, and no not changed the gearbox oil since getting the level right

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

ive got a spare manual mitsubish gearbox, all i know is it has 25 splines, its a manual, and from a mitsi, supposedly a V6 box out of a galant, but didnt fit mine, as i had 27 splined gearbox in my blue one

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

either of you fella's got the final drive gear on the output shaft and diff crown wheel? Should be 18 and 67 teeth

Name
    andi
    Last Online
    24-02-2021
    Country
    Other
    Car
    galant v6 2.5 s

thanks friend, its just my idea to perform that mod. but if its too difficult and more expensive iam expected and its right your advice to swap the engine. so how if i want to perform more horse power to my new engine ? can i replace the turbo with the big one ?

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

you can do various things to them to get them up to 350hp, but if you're sticking with FWD I think that 280hp will be enough for a while

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

I've got a similar converted Galant like Andy, a so-called 'VR2' and the orginal V6 gearbox is holding out without problems too. I did do an Amsoil geaxbox oilchange just to know it is done for sure and done with proper oil. Only things changed are the ACT "race" clutch and pressure-plate, as the orginal Mitsu ones didn't last too long. It take a few days to get used to driving a race clutch (quite a bit heavier and much, much shorter 'moment') but it does the job!

I can only think of one other alternative to gain a fair amount of power from the engine and that is to put on a compressor (supercharger) which will add at least 85bhp but add a bit of more fine tuning with the air/fuel ratio's and there could be quite a bit more from it! I've seen and driven a 6A13 supercharged FWD Galant from one of our dutch GalantFans members. Feels and sounds totally different compared to a 6A13TT but it sure is (just as) fast!

Also see: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk10OqQ2kGQ

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by bradc
    either of you fella's got the final drive gear on the output shaft and diff crown wheel? Should be 18 and 67 teeth
    how do i tell that?

Name
    andi
    Last Online
    24-02-2021
    Country
    Other
    Car
    galant v6 2.5 s

vee, did i need to make a new one engine mounting specialy back mount engine to fix vr4 engine ? i had info that i had to replace the original mount vr4 and then apllied to my n/a ride. Thanks

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

Kyle - count!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast