Thread: heater controls

Last Online
    23-07-2004
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    galant Equippe

Question heater controls

can anyone tell me is it possible to convert the dial type heater contols to the digital sort and if so how hard is it to do?

also how hard is it to do that boot conversion that ian has done

i have a 2001 galant equippe

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

I too have looked into this, as part of the project to get MMCS power alongside my GLS Power

The conversion could be a bit of a sod... I believe the wiring loom is in place (though I've not yet had the centre console out to confirm this), but there are several new parts you'll need...

On the exterior, there's an air temp sensor, and a UV sensor too, I think. These aren't present on the Manual Aircon systems.

Inside the car, there's another sort of photo sensor, that lurks inbetween the demister vents at the front of the dashboard. My GLS just has a blank there, and I imagine yours will too.

The big troublespot is with the heater matrix unit. Surprisingly, given what the rest of the car is like, the dial controls operate a mechanical linkage which opens or closes the air control flaps on the heater unit. The Climate control system does away with this and instead has a couple of electric motors to control the flaps. These motors recieve a control signal from the climate control ECU telling them how far to open. I'm not sure if it's possible to retrofit these units to manual aircon car.

When I've got more time, I might post up the wiring and assemble schematics I've got from my dealer in the member's area for reference

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    19-04-2024
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Audi A4 Tdi

:wavey: the flip boot mod is very easy to do and is very cheap to do ..
    i'll take pic's and do a post on it this week.
    E39 BMW SPORT

Last Online
    23-07-2004
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    galant Equippe

thanks guys, its great knowing i can get such good advice on all sorts of things, i have been a member of others sites that do not offer such friendly advice and tips or seem to have the knowledge you guys are willing to share

once again thanks