Thread: Hi Guy's

Last Online
    05-08-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 type S

Hi Guy's

Just found this site and thought I would say hello.
    I've owned my 2002 Legnum type S for a couple of months and found it to be a fantastic relaxed cruiser with super smooth auto box. Car appears to have been very well cared for with services bang on 4.5k all receipts and mot's even had a recent cambelt and exhaust. What isn't so good is the way it stops despite grooved and drilled disks and "performance pads" of unknown origin fade is terrible after a couple of big stops.
    I also have an Evo 9 with APs and it looks like the old brembo's should go straight on the Legnum as long as I fit 17"s is this likely to improve matters coupled with some decent fluid?
    Are induction kits worthwhile or are there too many heat soak issues?
    Do decats help or just trigger an ecu fault? (not had chance to check wether Legnums have pre and post lambda sensors). ATM I am not really after performance gains, just better breathing and maybe a slight improvement in mpg (have noticed this in modifing other jap turbo cars).
    Anyway great car for the money, lovely ride handling compromise and goes well standard even with a boot full.
    Any local meets? I live near Mansfield north notts.
    Sorry for all the questions.

Kind Regards
    Chris

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by 360
    Just found this site and thought I would say hello.
    I've owned my 2002 Legnum type S for a couple of months and found it to be a fantastic relaxed cruiser with super smooth auto box. Car appears to have been very well cared for with services bang on 4.5k all receipts and mot's even had a recent cambelt and exhaust. What isn't so good is the way it stops despite grooved and drilled disks and "performance pads" of unknown origin fade is terrible after a couple of big stops.
    I also have an Evo 9 with APs and it looks like the old brembo's should go straight on the Legnum as long as I fit 17"s is this likely to improve matters coupled with some decent fluid?
    Are induction kits worthwhile or are there too many heat soak issues?
    Do decats help or just trigger an ecu fault? (not had chance to check wether Legnums have pre and post lambda sensors). ATM I am not really after performance gains, just better breathing and maybe a slight improvement in mpg (have noticed this in modifing other jap turbo cars).
    Anyway great car for the money, lovely ride handling compromise and goes well standard even with a boot full.
    Any local meets? I live near Mansfield north notts.
    Sorry for all the questions.

Kind Regards
    Chris
    Hi and !

Kieran will be getting excited - he's not far from you. Mind you, neither am I, and we do have the odd Midlands meet. But as it's show season, these tend to be what people try to get to. We had JapFest at Castle Combe last month, and were at JapShow at Santa Pod last weekend. Check out the events forum for the latest info.

As you have one of the last Leggies, there might be one or two unknowns with it (i.e. updates from earlier models). The earlier ones can just swap out the cat for a decat pipe.

Induction kits generally hamper the breathing due to the high engine bay temps, unless you can sort out some REALLY good cold air feed. Often something the needs the space by moving the battery to the boot.

Some others will no doubt be along to say hello and give you better advice later!

Enjoy your stay!

PS: The £20 membership fee is quite possibly the best twenty notes that can be spent. The Amsoil discounts are worth it easily, unless you have discounts from being in another car club, MLR perhaps?
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

A decat pipe will be fine, no drama's there at all. All VR-4's only had one O2 sensor before the cat.

The best option for air intake is a Ralliart or K&N filter in the stock airbox.

EVO Brembo's fit onto facelift cars (post 98) no problems at all. I have some on my car and they are great. Click on my username then gallery for a few pics.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    12-12-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2009 Colt

hi and
    "Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"................ (Gilles Villeneuve)

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Welcome, is your car silver and did i see you on the mansfield by pass other day! flashed and got a wave back.

Mike
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    02-09-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant VR4 Legn

Hi and Welcome to the forum
    Nick

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Hi and welcome. Looks like most of the questions you have asked have been covered. The only other thing to add is that if you get some 17" alloys to fit over the Brembo calipers that not all 17" wheels fit over Brembos. A lot of people on here run Evo alloys which fit on the Legnum no problem. However, there are aftermarket options too ...
    1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi,

Is yours a genuine Ralliart UK supplied model?
    '97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Last Online
    05-08-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4 type S

Miller - my car is white, not seen anyone to wave to yet!
    Tar - I think it may be a ralliart supplied model as I have the original sales invoice from Gordon lamb Sheffield but it does say Legnum on the log book. Iam not sure how to tell but the car has a fog light built into the rear bumper dash is in mph.......
    Thanks for the advice on the wheels will try to get some evo wheels.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Put some pics up!

Almost certainly a Ralliart-supplied version. All Ralliart did was import them like any other grey importer, just with a few UK-only modifications (I think to things like interior options, etc.). Legnum on the V5 is correct. Pics would help though...

Some of the more well-informed members will be able to advise you on the finer points, especially if you put some pics up.

Oh, and I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but we want to see some pictures!!

(Droolage material is required - I really like the facelift in white...)

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Everything above is good info:

Decat will be fine, the sensor is in the down pipe just before the cat.

Brembos will bolt straight on, including the rears, but you'll need to modify the rear dust cover to take the slightly bigger disc. With Brembos and fluid, you should get a more than acceptable level of braking, though perhaps not as good as your APs! As stated, you'll need wheels to clear the Brembos. Most stuff that Evos wear fits, but go too wide or too little offset and wheel arch rubbage will ensue. 8" Evo rims with 235/45 rubber is mostly okay, although very gentle rubbage has been observed on some cars.

And as said, the Ralliart supplied cars are still Japanese Market from the production line. There was never type aproval, so Mitsy UK just SVA'd them, but they did put them in their warranty scheme etc.

Induction kits have been proven to reduce power in the past - heat soak is definitely one problem, but we also believe that the MAF is irritable with non-linear air flow that some induction kits provide!

Enjoy your time with the car, and as all the other in this thread are hinting at -

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Hello and welcome!

As Nev says, there's quite a few of us knocking about in the north notts area and there's the occasional midlands meet too, so keep an eye on the events thread and pop and say hi!