Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Kyle, without sounding rude we've already told you you can't compare against other cars. You don't know what the other driver is doing or how good they are at driving that particular car.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    Edmund
    Last Online
    18-03-2020
    Country
    Other
    Car
    91 Galant

Not all blown turbos will throw smoke.

If it has play and rubbing on the housing, the car won't make power but it will not smoke

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

it went back to how it felt when i got it. put foot down, slightly pinned to the seat ie it went like stink, yesterday it didnt. was bag to being sluggish

Name
    Gerald
    Last Online
    18-04-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4, Almera

Hi Paul Beazer,
    The aero engines that I work on are very similar to a cars more even more close to a Scooby. Horizontally opposed, the smaller the plane then they are carbd and as they get larger they are fuel injected some common rail and some as Mitsubishis` GDI are direct injected.
    As the scientest above has said not all turbo units if going or gone will spit out smoke. It also depends on how or what caused the damage on the turbo.
    For instance 2 months ago, an aircraft Piper Cheiftain Twin Engine Total of 500SHP , the left engine ( single turbo ) was showing lack of power. People investigated but could not solve los of power. Finally they did as I had asked and told and found the turbo was seized.
    And another aircraft as Scientest also said the compressor side had so much play due to a disentergrated bearing had worn away the compressor housing.

And both although no signs of oil being burnt gave loss of power.

Pitslayer, take the inlet piping of the rear turbo and see if you can twist the turbo shaft. If it is stiff to turn then your turbo is going to kick the bucket. Sorry but that is the only and best way to be for sure.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

i did a coolant flush on it yesterday, as the water was a very rusty brown colour, seems to be a fair bit better now....now to find out why the water was brown. 2 explanations, someone didnt put any coolant in and its just rusted something to bits, or someone put the brown radiator stop leak stuff in....

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Jerry, whilst I broadly agree that not all turbos smoke: these are sleeve bearing CHRAs. If there is play: they smoke.
    I agree a ballbearing item can fail far less spectacularly (and indeed have seen them do so...also seen them seize with no play in the shaft at all: the ball race had simply wedged solid).

How ever with these sleeve bearing Mitsubishi items, they rely on perfect shaft geometry to keep the oil and (to a lesser extent) water seals intact. The slightest hint of any play in the shaft will result in the seal beaing broken (and usually, but not always, worn away) and the shaft lubrication entering the compressor side, and sometimes the exhaust side. This is bad news, as the burning oil massively reduces the fuel octane, and can lead to detonation, though this is unusual.

A normal sign of a potential failure in a Mitsubishi item is either ingress of oil into the compressor side or (more rarely) pressurisation of the engines oil system, resulting in the vents spraying oil everywhere, or a seal failure (Scoobies notoriously fail the crank oil seal) or popping out the dipstick....and spraying oil everywhere!

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    i did a coolant flush on it yesterday, as the water was a very rusty brown colour, seems to be a fair bit better now....now to find out why the water was brown. 2 explanations, someone didnt put any coolant in and its just rusted something to bits, or someone put the brown radiator stop leak stuff in....
    Coolant was flushed and changed when the cambelt was done. And I know for a fact that WRD put the correct coolant in.

Kyle if it had had radiator stop leak stuff in you would already know about it. (Because I would have told you)

I spent a FORTUNE on that car. It was very well looked after. Do I seem to be the sort of person to scrimp on some coolant??

HTH

Don
    '07 Satin Black Shogun (Running), '98 Black Legnum VR4 Super (In Storage), '01 2.0 Silver Manual Galant Estate (Daily Driver), '98 Silver Colt (Dead), '97 Trigger Mauve Legnum VR4 Shell (Doner for Super)

Also in the family: '07 Mini Cooper, '05 2.0 Lancer Sport Estate

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

lol coolant being under 10 quid i higghly doubt it don . i have heard of incorrect coolant rotting out heater matrix but if you did it at wrd ihighly doubt it had incorrect coolant. will upload a pic of the coolant now

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

here we go, this is what came out of the car, didnt even taste sugary its strange, i dont believe that Don would skimp on it considering he had everything else replaced properly on it.

and considering Don told me every little thing about the car i highly doubt he skimped on coolant

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    lol coolant being under 10 quid i higghly doubt it don .
    Was going to reply to this but ive just deleted my reply, you know why? I just can't be bothered anymore.

I usually find it very hard to regret something I've done in the past but you are making it a whole new experience for me.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

That doesn't look that bad, especially if it's been stood for a while, there will be a little surface corrosion internally...certainly I've seen much worse.

Don, even Kyle admits you're fastidious about your cars: I don't think he's having a pop at you, though I do think a little more tact wouldn't go amiss on his part. Don't take it too personally: no one in their right mind is going to judge you on Kyles experiences, as he's still "shaking down" the car, especially as it would seem he uses it significantly harder than you did. (judging by the sound of his driveway)

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Don you sold me a brilliant car, your a top bloke you havnt done anything wrong and im not trying to make you come across as someone who sold a bad car(which its not) im just trying to sort out everything to my liking

edit:what i ment by my post about coolant being under 10 quid, was that considering you did the following
    cambelt
    waterpump
    tensioners
    bumper
    wings
    doors
    etc i highly doubt you didnt spend anything on coolant, its probably been like it since it was back in japan

double edit: Steve yes i am still shaking the car down whilst Don has done a fantastic job on the car, im trying to regain some power lost over the 12 years its been on the road, as i cant afford to run the car with higher boost and the insurance uppage on that. stuff breaks, and im the kind of person to want to know, when why where how etc i like to know these things, and when something doesnt feel right our sound right i want to know.
    as for the drive, we have since moved and my car doesnt get put through that torture, it now resides in lovely garage, where i can put a blanket over it at night and give it a cup of Vpower to sip at night.
    yes i do drive my car hard, whats the point in having it if your not going to use it, i expect stuff to break its 12 years old, a high performance car stuff goes wrong and i want to fix it before it does go, its just me
    Last edited by pitslayer; 23-07-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567