Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

Evoscan on carputer?

Anyone running Evoscan on a carputer for logging and/or displaying gauges?

Thinking of getting one of those miniITX computers linked to a touch screen single DIN head unit something like this:-
    http://www.plasma.com/xenarc/mdtx7000.htm

I'd like a single DIN screen so I can keep my boost gauge where it is in one of the existing DIN 'slots' as the VR-4 ECU doesn't have boost readings available and so that the screen is not quite so visible from outside the car.

Would like to know if anyone's installed or running a similar setup and if it works well.

I've read all I can find on Evoscan on here and can't seem to determine if it can run without the flashy dash light scenario mentioned in other threads (wouldn't ideally want this). Seems that plugging the data cable into the car's OBD port invokes diagnostic mode but I hope I've interpreted this incorrectly.

Ideally I'd like the kit to provide video and music playback (anything a desktop computer would play) and use Evoscan (or whatever) to provide fancy info gauges most of the time I'm driving as well as logging info as required.

I'm OK with the technicalities of the in-car PC, touch screen, connection, set up etc just wondered if anyone's done similar and specifically, using Evoscan or similar software for gauge display.

Come on gurus, give me some clarity.
    '97 Legnum VR-4 type S
    DONE - SARD 530cc injectors, SARD AFPR, FMIC, MAP2-ECU, Ralliart air filter & 'Special' MAF, Magnecor leads, NGK 7s, Polyeurethane engine mounts, New lash adjusters, RPW downpipes, Powerflow 3" full de-cat exhaust, Reconditioned turbos, Bespoke AYC gauge, SARD R2D2 BOV, CarPC with EvoScan, Fusion amp & InPhase sub, EBC Turbo grooved & dimpled brake discs, EBC red & green pads, HKS SuperForm Lowering springs, Hydraulic bonnet dampers, Momo steering wheel, Bespoke wideband AFR/Oil pressure gauge thingy, New wiper blades all round!, Amsoiled... woo hoo!
    Growling out 349ft/lb torque, 296 fly HP @ 0.9 bar

Name
    Lari
    Last Online
    15-08-2011
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum

Quote Originally Posted by apeman69
    I've read all I can find on Evoscan on here and can't seem to determine if it can run without the flashy dash light scenario mentioned in other threads (wouldn't ideally want this). Seems that plugging the data cable into the car's OBD port invokes diagnostic mode but I hope I've interpreted this incorrectly.

I can say that in 2.5 version there is below Logging
    choice to "Disable Mitsubishi Dashboard Flashing Lights (also you should disconnect Pin-9 for AYC/ABS support too)"

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

Quote Originally Posted by sladde
    ...choice to "Disable Mitsubishi Dashboard Flashing Lights (also you should disconnect Pin-9 for AYC/ABS support too)"
    It's a goer then. Thanks

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

i will be soon....when i get the cable should have it up and running, can then do rear diff changes aswell

Name
    Lari
    Last Online
    15-08-2011
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum

It's a goer then. Thanks
    Haven't installed it to my laptop yet to try with car.
    Need to modify my cable first and before that there is too much going on my life like cleaning the house and getting car ready to final compliance before my baby girl comes to this wolrd in this Friday.

Name
    Rees
    Last Online
    03-02-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Honda Civic

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    i will be soon....when i get the cable should have it up and running, can then do rear diff changes aswell
    yeah me too

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Anyone running Evoscan on a carputer for logging and/or displaying gauges?

Thinking of getting one of those miniITX computers linked to a touch screen single DIN head unit something like this:-
    http://www.plasma.com/xenarc/mdtx7000.htm

I'd like a single DIN screen so I can keep my boost gauge where it is in one of the existing DIN 'slots' as the VR-4 ECU doesn't have boost readings available and so that the screen is not quite so visible from outside the car.

Would like to know if anyone's installed or running a similar setup and if it works well.

Ideally I'd like the kit to provide video and music playback (anything a desktop computer would play) and use Evoscan (or whatever) to provide fancy info gauges most of the time I'm driving as well as logging info as required.

I'm OK with the technicalities of the in-car PC, touch screen, connection, set up etc just wondered if anyone's done similar and specifically, using Evoscan or similar software for gauge display.

I am thinking about doing exactly this if/when I have the spare cash. Although, I would want to have a double din touch screen instead. I will be interested to hear how you get on
    1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    96 Legnum VR-4

My plan too - but thus far the flashy dash issue has stopped me. I have all the hardware ready to go - just waiting for a fix.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The flashy dash is only whils stationary. As soon as the car is moving at more than walking pace the flashy dash doesn't.

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    96 Legnum VR-4

I know, I know - it just bugs me though. Along with all the other rattles and squeaks I'm trying to eliminate!

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

Quote Originally Posted by sladde
    I can say that in 2.5 version there is below Logging
    choice to "Disable Mitsubishi Dashboard Flashing Lights (also you should disconnect Pin-9 for AYC/ABS support too)"
    Nick, are you using v2.5 of Evoscan? (If not then why not: it's free and released in August? )
    If so then can you confirm that what sladde said above does the job?
    Yes the flashy dash may only be at stand-stlll but it would bug me all the same.

Anyone know how transportable settings/gauge designs etc are from PC to PC because ideally I would like to configure Evoscan on my desktop PC and then port any data required to the carputer. I don't want to be farting about with designing gauge displays whilst sat in the car. Carputer would be for 'entertainment' rather than creativity.

Thanks for the responses: I'm getting a bit excited now!

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

Quote Originally Posted by phosty
    ... I have all the hardware ready to go - just waiting for a fix.
    Phosty, any links to the bits of kit you got? I've been searching for a while for computers and screens but you may have found something different.

Name
    Rees
    Last Online
    03-02-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Honda Civic

but i thought flashy das was only in diagnostic mode i.e. when your playing about with afr for example
    why would it booother yu so much ?
    btw the hand held halo data logger doesnt do it it says
    look it up on ebay , abooot £80 tho !

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    96 Legnum VR-4

Apeman - I have gone for a very cheap and cheerful setup. I have an old laptop feeding svid out through a svid-to-composite convertor (passive) into a cheapo chineese 7" double din head unit (£90ish of eBay - Eonon) that accepts video in.

With a simple screen the graphs look readable - but you can't read fine text. I was then planning to get one of those stick on touchscreens for input.

Wires are everywhere so it's just proof of concept so to say. If I can live with the quirks of a carpc I would gradually upgrade to a proper touchscreen and vga output.

Last Online
    16-02-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Selling EP3 4 VR-4

Laptop's a neat way to do it on the cheap.. As for designing graphics apeman, If you know the native resolution of your Screen you can design your graphics around this. This way it wont up scale / dowscale and make all your graphics look poop. So if your in 640 x 480 on the DIN Screen ! In your graphics package make this your workarea. Once saved in the appropriate file ext. Your ready to load it upto your Car pc from your desktop. Any more prob's shout em out. i have EVOSCAN running on my laptop. I have nothing to plug it into yet, but i had a mess with the graphics config / design.

Apeman get excited, I am..

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

like said ive already got a carputer up and running in mine, its complicated yet simple to do. it can also be expensive, when i get chance ill write up a guide on how to do one

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

I don't have a problem with putting it all together. I need to make sure I get the right components for the job: good PC, great screen, software front end (I have access to Centrafuse), Evoscan working as I would like it.
    I have found the PC I intend to buy (£338). The screen has got to be the Xenarc MDT-X7000 because it looks the business in terms of PC compatibility and future connectivity though I cannot yet find a UK distributor.
    I will be e-mailing the manufacturer today to find out if it can be sourced in the UK at a reasonable price. Xenarc want $799 and I have found another US company doing them for $646 but, as of yet, I have not got a shipping cost.
    The Evoscan software is going to be bought anyway ($25 is nothing!).
    I will probably get the OBD cable from the Evoscan people (with pin 9 missing for the ABS & AYC).
    It'll work out at about £750 altogether and I'll fit it all myself. This is going to be a very similar setup (though the PC I will get is of a higher spec) to one I have seen a UK company selling for £1700 fitted!

Just wanted to be sure on a few points e.g. Evoscan flashy dash, best place for fitment of PC unit (one of those Voom2 cases), portability of data (gauge designs) from desktop PC to carputer.
    At this point I am ready to buy everything except the screen so, Hawk, I AM GETTING VERY EXCITED - the neighbours heard me shout that!

So, location of the PC box itself..... was thinking either glove box (if there will be enough room to enable CD/DVD insertion and ejection), under passenger seat where my original Mitsy sat nav CD drive is (again limited usability of DVD drive), or in the boot. Any ideas, observations or comments.
    Ideally I wouldn't like it in the boot unless it will fit in the left hand side compartment that the original Mitsy CD changer was in however, access to the DVD drive that will be in the PC would definitely be a problem. However, use of the Xenarc will at least mean that the PC DVD drive would not necessarily need to be used at all - Xenarc DVD drive is recognised as a system drive by the PC under Windows OS.
    This carputer thing is a life-long commitment so I'm going to get it right and ensure that the system components will meet my requirements now and in the future.
    Thanks for your help so far and keep giving me advice and suggestions.

Last Online
    16-02-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Selling EP3 4 VR-4

Maybe these may be of some interest ? Sorry if these links have been posted up before. However relevant here ! Enjoy ;-)

PC system DIN size 1GHz/512Mb/40Gb
    http://www.in-car-stuff.com/shop/sys...0gb-p-283.html

CarPC Install idea's
    http://home.mchsi.com/~deviaant/2DeviousEvoCarPC.html

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

2 important components i see missed off there.
    On/Off controller, Cd player with line in thats minimum extra 80-160 on top.
    as for putting the pc in the glovebox, unless your going single din, you have nowhere to put your cd player

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

here yo go, for a rough idea of whats involved in just getting a screen to fit
    http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29830

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast