john
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum VR4

Turbo Upgrade

Hi all i have been looking under the bonnet of my legnum and had taken off the air intake after the intercooler and i see there is a bit of oil in there. I know this is a sign of the turbos on there way out. I was wondering if any one knows what are the best ones to replace them with and where the cheapes place to get them from. Also is it some thing i can do or have i got to get the engine out and have some one do it for me. Thanks for your help all.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Don't be so sure the Turbos are about dead. Yes, it is often a sign that there's a little bit of oil escaping past the turbo seals, but you'll be hard pressed to find a VR-4 that *doesn't* have oily inlet pipes. Also these cars do tend to generate a bit of blow by (as with any engine) and this is fed into the inlet stream pre-turbo when you're on boost, so this can make the inlet pipes more oily than you'd expect.

Now - if you start getting LOTS of oil and dirty great plumes of smoke on boost or overrun, then yeah, perhaps the turbos are shot.

As far as replacement units - have a search, there's lots and lots of discussion on this subject, but be warned - Changing from stock units is quite an undertaking!