Thread: Protection

Last Online
    04-09-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Jag X-Type estate

Protection

With the onset of cold, frosty nights I am looking to cover my car while it is not being used. Unfortunately, and like most people it seems, the car has to stay outside, so is being covered by frost and dew most days now. I have been looking at a full car cover, but with so many choices I was wondering if any of you had already got one and/or can make any recommendations.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Not got one, but I did hear that covering the car can be a bad idea. It can end up keeping the moisture in rather than keeping the rain off. There are inflatable jobbies that are supposed to be better, but I haven't go a clue regarding cost or usefulness.

I'd be tempted to give it to Don and get a good protection detailing thingy done instead!

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

I used to use a car cover. Mine has vents all round it which help dissipate the moisture build up inside and still keeps the rain out.

The manufacturer recommends removing it at least once a week. Did I find it useful? Yes, most certainly. It stopped birds from sh!tting all over it and from wind blowing leaves, grass and dust from rain over everything.

The thing I hated about it is actually fitting it in a hurry. I've often had to chase it around the yard in the pouring rain which by then makes fitting it pointless as you can't use it on a wet car.

Car also needs to be reasonably clean and dust free before you put it on as this will prevent scratching.

Name
    shaun
    Last Online
    31-07-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    'charged Mx5

I would say give the car plenty of airings if you cover it, I've been there and after one car that had been given a pretty expensive paint job, I know how NOT airing is detrimental, as after 2 years being undercover moisture had bubbled some of the paint and other parts of the cover had actually degraded to the point where it stuck to the paintwork. Maybe this was an extreme example but it can happen.

Last Online
    04-09-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Jag X-Type estate

Thanks Guys. As I commute by train weekdays, the car would be used as normal at weekends, so airing would be pretty regular. Also some of the covers I have seen now, are like rainproof jackets in that that have an inner layer that wicks moisture away - if you believe the hype (sorry! advertising) that is
    Reason I am think about one, is come winter time, it would be nice to get into a car that is still clean, frost and/or snow free when I need to get out and about. I was just hoping that this would be the way to do it as using my garage is not an option.

Name
    Dan
    Last Online
    29-12-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Tell you what Peter why don i just sell you a nice timber garage? That must be the best way to keep your leggy nice and dry!

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

Ok theres two things here it seems to me.

No.1 Being frost free and snow free for ease of driving quickly during the winter.

For this I would recommend just a windscreen cover.

No.2 If you want to protect the paintwork the car would be just as well protected by two or three layers of Collinite 476s carnuba wax as by a car cover.

The dangers of a car cover are that every time a breeze blows you have rough material rubbing on your paint.

I have seen some horrific examples of paint where car covers have scuffed the paint to hell.

You do not need to get your car to me to give the paint protection I would be happy to provide you links for inexpensive products that you could apply yourself.

Could you clarify what exactly you want? is it ?

a) Protecting the paint finish from the ravages of winter or...

b) being able to jump in the car and drive it straight away without scraping snow and ice off it?
    '07 Satin Black Shogun (Running), '98 Black Legnum VR4 Super (In Storage), '01 2.0 Silver Manual Galant Estate (Daily Driver), '98 Silver Colt (Dead), '97 Trigger Mauve Legnum VR4 Shell (Doner for Super)

Also in the family: '07 Mini Cooper, '05 2.0 Lancer Sport Estate

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

i found a company that do proper designed to fit car covers, unfortunatly they start at like 200 quid for basic one, but supposed to be good

Last Online
    04-09-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Jag X-Type estate

Quote Originally Posted by AncientOfMu
    Could you clarify what exactly you want? is it ?

a) Protecting the paint finish from the ravages of winter or...

b) being able to jump in the car and drive it straight away without scraping snow and ice off it?
    Dan - would love to have your garage except that I already have a double garage. Crazy I know, but one side has now been shortened to give extra facilities for the missus (utility room) so is not long enough for the car anymore and the other side has got my folding camper parked in front of it. And I cant move the camper to the other side as I couldn't get the car in and out easily, otherwise that would be the answer

Don - to answer your points I suppose I want both. Yes I want to protect the paintwork and when I do use the car at weekends it would be nice if it was just a case of driving away, rather than having to clear snow/ice/frost beforehand (assuming that we have a bad winter). So protection is first, clean dry car is the nice-to-have.

Pitslayer - yes that is the sort of price I have been seeing for these sooper-dooper ones that is supposed to be the best. I was just wondering if anyone had gone to the stage of buying or using one

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Im getting the old man one for christmas for his 840, but thats going to be the cheap one as the car is in the garage most of the year, never comes out unless its sunny. and want to stop the cat walking all over it
    here we go i found the email with what i got qouted for the 840
    Quotes for our Custom Outdoor Car Covers available for your vehicle:
    Stormproof-mono* £339.00
    Noah* £265.00
    Mosom Plus* £239.00
    Stormproof-duo* £379.00
    Duo-tone Weathershield* £370.00
    from here
    http://www.thecovercompany.co.uk/car_covers.html

Last Online
    04-09-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Jag X-Type estate

Thanks Pitslayer. I'd already found that site and checked them out. The material spec looked good but they were at the top end of prices compared to some others. If/when I get around to buying one - which looking at the frost on the car this morning, won't be long - I'll report back on the pros and cons.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

there is another option, i don't have one but i have seen one.

it looks a bit odd but so does a car with a cover on.

what you have is a frame made of hoops of different lengths covered in sme knid of material, all of it's hoops pivoted at the same point in the middle of the car either side. it is fixed to the floor at the front and you un fold it over the top of the car from front to back where it fixes to the floor. thus forming a kind of tent over the car.

the cover does not touch the car and there is plenty of room for air to circulate under the cover with vents. does this make sense to you. it does mean parking the car in exactly the same place every night. but we all tend to do that anyway.

not sure where it was bought from or what it was called, it might even be a one off, made be this guy.

Bye for Now!

Last Online
    04-09-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Jag X-Type estate

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj
    there is another option, i don't have one but i have seen one.

it looks a bit odd but so does a car with a cover on.

what you have is a frame made of hoops of different lengths covered in sme knid of material, all of it's hoops pivoted at the same point in the middle of the car either side. it is fixed to the floor at the front and you un fold it over the top of the car from front to back where it fixes to the floor. thus forming a kind of tent over the car.

the cover does not touch the car and there is plenty of room for air to circulate under the cover with vents. does this make sense to you. it does mean parking the car in exactly the same place every night. but we all tend to do that anyway.

not sure where it was bought from or what it was called, it might even be a one off, made be this guy.
    Dave - these are folding garages, and they are fairly common. A guy a couple of streets away has got one for his car. The only reason I didn't include this in my search, is that they are a permanent fixture where you park the car, so precludes easy access to the garage area, when the car is not there. At least with a car cover, you can fold it up and store inside when it is not needed.