Thread: Facelift AYC pump requires Facelift AYC ECU?

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Facelift AYC pump requires Facelift AYC ECU?

Some of those who went to the dyno day today might recall me mentioning that I had the AYC warning light on in the Galant.

Only noticed it this morning, so wasn't sure why it was on. My initial thought was that I had destroyed the AYC clutch packs (which wouldn't be a surprise as any sort of full throttle takeoff is an automatic 3 AYC bars)

However I recalled that when I put the car back together I put the facelift AYC pump in, and then after flushing the AYC I actually hooked up the facelift AYC ECU.

A couple of weeks ago I disconnected the facelift AYC ECU because it was just hanging down the back of the glove box and I didn't think it was a good idea when going for WOF. (At this point, I plugged the pre-facelift ECU back in)

Anyway, I re-connected the facelift AYC ecu this evening and the fault went away. I did the obligatory thrashing of the AYC system getting 3 bars on basically every corner of my private test track with no issues.

Has anyone here used a facelift AYC pump in a pre facelift car and either had or not had this happen?
    Last edited by Kenneth; 08-11-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    27-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Rading you post you say you unplugged your facelift ECU from your car and got a AYC warning light, then pluged a facelift ecu back in and the error went away.

where is the surprise in that?

i know you know what you are talking about that is why i ask the question, but i don't see what you are trying to say.

have i read your post wrong?

or have you missed out some "pre" words from the post.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj
    Rading you post you say you unplugged your facelift ECU from your car and got a AYC warning light, then pluged a facelift ecu back in and the error went away.

where is the surprise in that?

i know you know what you are talking about that is why i ask the question, but i don't see what you are trying to say.

have i read your post wrong?

or have you missed out some "pre" words from the post.
    Sorry mate, have edited the post.

I didn't remove the pre-facelift AYC ECU when plugging in the facelift one, so for WOF (MOT) I reconnected it to the pre-facelift ECU.

So in essence, I ran the facelift AYC pump and facelift AYC ECU for 6 months without any trouble. Re-connected the pre-facelift AYC ECU and got a fault code after a couple of weeks (probably about 5 times out in the car)

Re-connecting the facelift AYC ECU has removed the fault code and appears to be working fine.

Obviously a ECU connect and disconnect might have removed the code in itself, so I will have to see if the fault comes back any time soon.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    27-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

that is a weird one maybe there is some kind of difference in the signaling level that the faceflit AYC ECU uses, compared to the prefacelift AYC ECU with regard to the pump itself.

i don't know what just a thought.

Name
    Malc
    Last Online
    29-11-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit

Whats the difference between a Face / Pre facelift AYC pump. Only the pressure switch action I would think. Prefacelift - Normally Closed. Facelift - Normally Open. The ECU would need to see an open circuit or contact closure respectively when up to operating pressure.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    27-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

ask the right person get a plausible answer.