Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Great....so when I take mine to a Dyno operator using a well know US brand Dyno, how do I persuade them to use the US method and not the UK one?

More to the point, if this IS true, then a US car on a british dyno with a lower power reading will still run the 9.5 second times it ran in the US.... but they don't? They're always shocked by how slow they are over here. And they usually end up going bang!

I do totally agree that the more factoring you do with the results, the more innacurate they're going to get (just look at the differences between the same dyno on different runs) but I think there is more to it than just this.
    Like the big-power jap cars that are imported with Dyno graphs showing 1000hp or more, but on their first run here just won't break the 800bhp barrier.

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    17-05-2022
    Country
    United States
    Car
    97 Vr4 type V

The only thing left that I can think of is altitude and air density which is "basically" the same thing. That is probrably the reason you guys get higher octane fuel to compensate
    Car best: 11.8
    Personal best: 12.5 @ 112 mph

Name
    Edmund
    Last Online
    18-03-2020
    Country
    Other
    Car
    91 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    Great....so when I take mine to a Dyno operator using a well know US brand Dyno, how do I persuade them to use the US method and not the UK one?

More to the point, if this IS true, then a US car on a british dyno with a lower power reading will still run the 9.5 second times it ran in the US.... but they don't? They're always shocked by how slow they are over here. And they usually end up going bang!

I do totally agree that the more factoring you do with the results, the more innacurate they're going to get (just look at the differences between the same dyno on different runs) but I think there is more to it than just this.
    Like the big-power jap cars that are imported with Dyno graphs showing 1000hp or more, but on their first run here just won't break the 800bhp barrier.
    That happens in the caribbean also, they import cars claiming to be making over 1000hp but fall short when dynoed, and a lot of them fall flat on their face when raced (blown engines). But with regards to times on the track, a lot of factors are to be considered, like track preperations, tire choices etc. Its like this example, some cars left trinidad running 9s, went to grenada to race for the caribbean championship but had a hard time breaking 10s because of how the track was prepped and how much track bite was laid down. Even some of the record breaking cars in the US have a hard time being consistent going from one track to the other.

As for the rolling road request, ask for the raw dyno data or ask him to produce the results without factoring BHP calculations.

Dynojet offers their winpep viewer
    http://www.dynojet.com/downloads/zip/7.5.2_Install_.zip

http://www.mustangdyne.com/downloads/PowerDynePC%20v143%20No%20Docs%20DEMO.EXE

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

And that'll be some rep.

Mante, are you sure US fuel is actually worse?
    I was led to believe that it's a completely different ratings system, so that your 91MON was equivalent to our 95RON, and 93MON was our 98RON?

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    17-05-2022
    Country
    United States
    Car
    97 Vr4 type V

And that'll be some rep.

Mante, are you sure US fuel is actually worse?
    I was led to believe that it's a completely different ratings system, so that your 91MON was equivalent to our 95RON, and 93MON was our 98RON?
    I have not done the research myself but 91 mon (here in the us)is equivelant to 98 ROM over there.. Our EPA (environment protection agency), dot..nhtsa well put it this way several agencies regulate the fuel here in the states..

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing these results with those for mixtures of isooctane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON) or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Fan-flippin-tastic, John!!

So, Mante, your "rubbish" fuel isn't all that rubbish after all, just "conservatively rated" against ours LOL

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    17-05-2022
    Country
    United States
    Car
    97 Vr4 type V

I have noticed (R+M)/2 on quite a few pumps. I still call it rubbish because if I want to use pump 93 I have to use a fuel additive. My practice is having a 5 gallon tank having it filled at tracks or shops to add one gallon of 118 to a tank of 93.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Fan-flippin-tastic, John!!

So, Mante, your "rubbish" fuel isn't all that rubbish after all, just "conservatively rated" against ours LOL
    wikipedia is great ain't it

I did know all that but could not think of a better way to say it

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

LOL Yeah Yeah....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234