Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: its doing bad things

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

to be honest i dont know what to do with it anymore, engines not happy, something broke on carpc, discs have cracked, trackrods are rusting out.
    Cant sell it in this condition
    Cant use it in this condtion
    Cant afford to throw money at it
    Cant break it and get enough back to buy a decent VR4

I was really hoping that the spark plugs would fix it, but instead its just really been another bit of cash down the drain, really am at wits end with it

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Maybe it's just not your destiny to own a VR-4 any more! Take a step back and you may need to make a hard decision.

Perhaps you could get something different, like an old school WRX? You might have more luck with that.

Not sure they'd have you over at scooby.net though!
    Last edited by elnevio; 20-12-2008 at 09:01 AM.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter_John
    I'm sure a number of hours with Nick Mann me or Benh would solve 95% of you concerns
    you obviously dont listen or read the posts people are trying to help you on which frustrates me and everyone else even more each day. Its the same in every thread you start with 'problems on your car'

Like John said get it to any of these guys and let them sort it and troubleshoot. Its not ''throwing money at it'' its general maintenance. 'throwing money at it' would be say new alloys or boost controller, unnessecary items for day to day running.

If you cant afford to regluarly maintain it then i think the VR4 is NOT the car for you in this current economic climate, maybe take the hit and get out whilst you can?

Mike
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

I cant drive it with big cracks through the discs, i cant put new disccs on, so i cant get it to anyone to have a look at it

I can afford to maintain one but when its breaking and stuff needs replacing all the time, you have to ask yourself, is the car economically viable anymore, what if i have to do this and that next month costing x amout of cash, the whole idea of getting a VR4, was to make it faster, not have it constantly in the garage using the money i had saved for modifications up on bits

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    I cant drive it with big cracks through the discs, i cant put new disccs on, so i cant get it to anyone to have a look at it

I can afford to maintain one but when its breaking and stuff needs replacing all the time, you have to ask yourself, is the car economically viable anymore, what if i have to do this and that next month costing x amout of cash, the whole idea of getting a VR4, was to make it faster, not have it constantly in the garage using the money i had saved for modifications up on bits

hmmmm WHAT IF's then.....

WHAT IF i buy a 12 year old car and think its as sound as the day it rolled of the production line

WHAT IF WHAT IF WHAT IF

So now the way i see it is you dont like the VR4

Sell it......

to sell it you need to sort the discs.....but from your statement
    Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    i cant put new disccs on
    then its for sale as 'spares or repairs'

maybe post in here on the UK for sale section... the longer you leave it the less chance you have of recouping any money from it. Which by the sounds of it you need to do soooon.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

either going to break it or park it up, already started hunting for new cars last night

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Quote Originally Posted by pits
    Then get a loan, fix the car, sell the car and get your pathetic ass down to your local ford dealership and buy a 1.4 Ka with 3yr warranty and free insurance. It's a good car, a cheap car, and has predictable expenditure as per the service schedule.

Fiscally and psycologically you're not equipped to own an aging performance car.
    Your best bet would be to befriend some of the guys on here, swallow your pride throw yourself on their mercy and perhaps ask them to help you out in exchange for something OTHER than cash.

Unfortunately, as you have a tendency to not listen and to throw any sympathy, kindness or professionalism back in peoples faces, I don't think anyone wants the risk. I know I don't: Don regrets selling you the car (which was mint and trouble free) and everyone is currently regretting you buying it.

It's a fast car, and though it will take abuse, it is 10yrs old and needs some sympathy. If you can't afford to keep replacing parts, then
    a) drive it slower: it's cheaper.
    b) buy top-notch parts in the first place and get someone who knows what they are doing to fix it.

You seem to be letting your emotions do your thinking with regards to this car, and it's stretching everyones patience.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    Then get a loan, fix the car, sell the car and get your pathetic ass down to your local ford dealership and buy a 1.4 Ka with 3yr warranty and free insurance. It's a good car, a cheap car, and has predictable expenditure as per the service schedule.
    wouldnt own a ford
    Fiscally and psycologically you're not equipped to own an aging performance car.
    Your best bet would be to befriend some of the guys on here, swallow your pride throw yourself on their mercy and perhaps ask them to help you out in exchange for something OTHER than cash.
    Ive got no issues with taking it to people on here to check it

Don regrets selling you the car (which was mint and trouble free) and everyone is currently regretting you buying it.
    I regret buying it, its been nothing but a PITA, and it wasnt mint or trouble free otherwise i wouldnt be having these problems with it, which i cant force the car to do
    It's a fast car, and though it will take abuse, it is 10yrs old and needs some sympathy. If you can't afford to keep replacing parts, then
    a) drive it slower: it's cheaper.
    b) buy top-notch parts in the first place and get someone who knows what they are doing to fix it.
    11 years old, its a high performance jap, stuff goes wrong i get that, but mine goes more wrong than anyone elses
    You seem to be letting your emotions do your thinking with regards to this car, and it's stretching everyones patience.
    Its stretched my patience, I bought the car to drive and have fun in it, not buy it to fix it up. I can afford to run it, but when your hit with a bill of this in one week
    New plugs
    New discs
    New pads
    New rack ends and track rod ends which are now not in very good contion
    Car still misfires and doesnt run properly
    carpc packs up for some reason

it kinda gets to you, ive got no problem with the servicing and running costs
    im currently thinking how long before i have to replace even more things

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

in reverse order:

carpc packs up for some reason
    You built it, you fix it. Don't blame the car.

Car still misfires and doesnt run properly
    and everyone is losing the will to help you fix it.
    You paid out for plugs you didn't even need. Did you gap them properly before you put them in? I bet no.

New pads
    Nobody will believe you until you post pictures. You haven't worn them out. You've probably abraided them, or got a stuck caliper pin.

New discs
    Ultra aggressive pads on a fairly "budget" disc. Okay, it's unlucky, but that's car modifying for you. Swallow it like a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Pits
    New Plugs
    nobody told you to buy plugs.
    You chose to do this as you didn't want to take the inlet manifold off again.
    It's only a niggle so you could have just lived with a rough idle for another few weeks.
    And it doesn't sound like you did the job properly...no mention of gapping, or replacing the HT leads. And it could still just be a coilpack.

11 years old, its a high performance jap, stuff goes wrong i get that, but mine goes more wrong than anyone elses
    Trouble free before as well. The only thing that is different about yours, Kyle, is YOU. Your fault again.

I regret buying it, its been nothing but a PITA, and it wasnt mint or trouble free otherwise i wouldnt be having these problems with it, which i cant force the car to do
    stay away from the toolbox and I bet you it's fine.

Ive got no issues with taking it to people on here to check it
    You've missed my point: You could have been humble and begged for help, but you've been arrogant and pgheaded and whiny, and now nobody wants to help you on here, let alone make the trip to "the valley" to hold your hand (which is frankly what you need).
    You can't even be bothered to read peoples posts properly, which is so rude it's incredible.

wouldnt own a ford
    Beggars can't be choosers. You've just explained to us that you can't afford to finance your automotive lifestyle. I offered you an alternative (go to a dealer and buy a half-decent, cheap, hassle free car) and you picked on the ONE word to be negative about it. Idiot.

You seem intent on alienating most of the members of this forum who could help you most. The scale of your stupidity astounds and dissapoints me.

Frankly, I think you need to see a therapist.
    Last edited by Turbo_Steve; 20-12-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Edited after realising these were EBC brake discs.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I keep hearing a line from a song when reading this post over and over again

Burn Baby Burn

sell it Kyle as a spares / repair , you will make enoough to cover a newer car and move on , maybe come back in a few years when you have a little more spare cash and a little more mature

Just look back on it as learning experience

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

In fact I'll even make you a pretty good offer for it. I'll collect.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

perhaps ask them to help you out in exchange for something OTHER than cash
    ....Swallow it like a man
    Don't do it Pits, I've seen midnight cowboy don't turn yourself into a male gigalo!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mitsubishi? They made the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor! I ain't sellin' Hitler's canoe to no traitor! Hop on your sushi-boat and git!

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

In fact I'll even make you a pretty good offer for it. I'll collect.

I hope Pits has already sent a PM to steve and his problems are sorted.

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Okay..... I'm locking this thread off before we end up in a situation of flame war.

However, I do need to post a few comments of my own.

Kyle.... You've had a rough ride on this thread, no doubt. Some of the posts earlier were just insulting and as such they got deleted. However, I've left Nev's, John's, Mike's and Steve's posts from the last 24 hours because whilst they are strongly worded, I believe that given the current gravity of the situation you need to take them on the chin and listen to what they say. Yes, you may not like what they say or how, but the advice they offer is essentially very wise - Even if said in a somewhat unpalatable fashion.

My first observation here is that you're in just the same situation as you were with your V6-24. The car is expensive to run, it has a few niggles and you're struggling to keep up with the basic maintenance of the car, let alone start troubleshooting, and now you're doing just what you were with the V6 - things keep breaking, they aren't being dealt with and you're now starting to blame the car. That's where the root of the problem is. Now look - that ain't a criticism. I was in a similar situation with my Honda - I was 22 years old at the time. I could afford the purchase fine, the finance, okay.... The insurance... Stung a bit... The fuel economy.... Hurt..... The Service prices at the local Honda Dealer?!..... They just finished me off. I hadn't done anything wrong as such, I'd just over stretched myself - It was just one of those things, and we all do it; I'd just bitten off more than my finances, my technical ability (I wasn't so good with spanners back then) and my motivation could deal with.... But the worst bit was having to admit that and sell the car. And to this day I regret that I had to, even though it was the right thing to do at the time.

I'd say you NEED to get something cheaper that's within your ability to maintain and run -properly. By that I mean fuel it, service it on the dot, tax it, insure it, etc. And deal with the problems promptly and quickly. You can also help yourself in this regard I think by calming down a bit in terms of your driving style from what you've posted in the past - There's an awful lot of 'Driver Stories' that you've posted and you admit your hard on the cars you drive... Couple that with bare maintenance and you're just asking for it.

Now - Regarding this particular thread... One of the reasons I've locked it but not deleted anything is because as I've said above - I don't think anyone's said anything subsequently that's bang out of line... I'm afraid this post quite clearly illustrates that you reap what you sow.... Frankly I'd been running out of patience too... Simply because you've posted complaining about a problem and our collective advice seems to be falling on deaf ears.... We got to page 3 before you admitted that you'd not even checked the plugs..... When you're not straight out with exactly what you have and have not done, what's wrong and what isn't and when you dismiss diagnosis without at least trying it... Well, as someone trying to help it makes my life difficult and I can be doing without it. Couple that with scant 'thank yous' and a LOT of moaning about the car and you're gonna get people's backs up.

So.... How do you move forwards.

Well, I think you need to divide this into two areas - Your forum etiquette and your car:

Forum:
    • Be factual and concise about the problems you have.
    • Don't post up statements pertaining to be 'fact' that are just based on your opinion - Like you did in the Hong Kong thread.
    • Don't dismiss the suggestions of other people because YOU don't think it's likely - A lot of people who have replied offering help in the past have age, experience and knowledge of these cars on their side. You don't.
    • Don't try and save face on the forums by posting 'Ah yes, I did 'X' because of 'Y'' when discussing problems and such.... You're fooling no one. We all make mistakes or miss things.
    • Don't post up continually moaning/whining about the car. We all have bad times with our cars and yes, sometimes a good 'STUPID CAR!!!' thread can be cathartic. But don't keep on and on and on doing it.... Sympathy will quickly turn to annoyance.

Car:
    Having read all the above posts and responses by yourself.... In your situation, I would say that yes you do need to cut loose. Bung the car up for sale as a cheap 'fixer upper' and you'll still get a decent-ish amount. I would suggest doing this as an 'AS IS' sale; I doubt you'd get back the cash you'd spend fixing all of the niggles and they are just that in the grand scheme of things. It's not like you've just holed a piston or blow the gearbox apart.

Then get something within your budget. A grand or even less would net you something cheap to run, easy to fix and fun to drive in the current climate - There's some cracking bargains to be had - Golf GTi? Pug 205 GTi? MG ZR, Galanza Turbo.... there's all sorts if you look around. And even if it turns out to be as much hassle as the VR-4? Well, it'll be cheaper and simpler to fix, or you can just swap again without having flushed thousands down the toilet... Look at that black GLSi I had - Okay, it wasn't a driver's car, but for £500 it tidied up into an absolutely brilliant car and I still miss it. It really was a corker.

Do what I did.... Swallow your pride, get a few more years and some more cash under your belt and level-up your cars gradually. I did that when I joined here and I'm glad I did - And I'm glad people at the time told me to stick with what I'd had until I was ready to move on - Which was later than I thought it was!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345