Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Looks good (especially at that price) but if possible I'd still try and put it behind the foglight and away from the existing cooling. RHS for mission cooler. LHS for engine oil cooler. My concern is that the more you put in the main aperture, the less airflow the rad, condensor and intercooler may get. I suppose it depends how far you're planning to take things....?

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Just looking to finalise this one way or another.

I would like to get an ATF temp gauge - but I think I'll bin this idea for now.

I am however thinking of organising a group buy, although I'm not convinced there's enough interest and actual savings to be made.

This is the intended cooler: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V8-Ge...mZ360148586894

It includes everything (including hose, although that's not in the pictures) to install the cooler.

The item itself is $33.90, and shipping per item is $45.50 to the UK. $79.40 in total is about £55 total to your door.

Given that the cooler is ridiculously cheap anyway, I can't see that much in the way of a group discount is available. On his previous thread, he said he would ship two of these to the UK for around $66, so say we ordered five, and those added an average of $15 each to the shipping, total shipping would be $111, i.e. an average of $22 per item. Therefore, each individual's cost would be approx $56, i.e. about £40 each, but before inland delivery costs. Now this would be around £8 each, so a total price of £48. Versus the direct to you door from the seller of about £55.

The clincher could be that if the seller sends items in bulk, they are more likely to be liable for import costs, AFAIK, whereas single items are more pot luck, although I've never had singular items opened by Customs. So the £48 bulk buy price could well increase by Customs costs.

In view of this, I think the group buy idea should be ditched in respect of the cooler, and we should go ahead and order our own individually. I'm happy for a kit that costs me £55 all in!

If there is sufficient interest before the weekend is out, then maybe a reconsideration is on the cards, but will depend on your feedback!

Cheers
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I've ordered mine now! Total of £54. Hopefully get it with enough time to fit prior to Japfest!

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Current statu: "Your item is being processed by customs in GREAT BRITAIN"

Hopefully this doesn't mean much extra cost for me!!

Anyway, I have a question which has not been answered by a fairly thorough dredge of just about every transmission cooler thread on CVR4, including BDA's article on installing the cooler:

Should I prime the cooler with ATF before connecting the pipes? Or should I install it as is, then just add ATF as necessary through the dipstick/fill pipe? I have one of Amsoil's oil pump gizmos to help with getting ATF into the fill pipe. BTW, I think my ATF *may* be a little high - as I have always struggled to get a decent reading on the dipstick (always looks too much), and yes, I have been performing the reading correctly, i.e. hot ATF, level surface (although not checked with a calibrated spirit level ), cycled through gears to leave in N with engine running when measuring.

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

I didn't prime my cooler and as it is a" return "pipe there should not be any need Nev

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

All fitted without leaks!

The three pictures are:

1) Kit as received - nice black cooler!
    2) Installed - picture through removed grille
    3) Shot from the passenger side, of the U pipe location used to install the cooler pipes

Once I got down to JapFest, I topped the ATF with another half a litre.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

Good work there Nev.

Think i'm going to jump on this wagon too... Have you got anymore pics with respect to intercooler positions etc? Reason being, i need to fit this alongside an uber intercooler!
    '97 EVO 4 GSR

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Fit it behind your passenger side fog ligth and make up a shroud to force air through it

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Indeed, that's my current plan. Just trying to pick up a rear diff cooler from a 300ZX (unfotunately they seem to be rocking horse sh1t as they were only on UK models) as it is the PERFECT size.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Although there IS stacks of room behind the foglight! So you could fit quite a varying size range of coolers.

The radiator position is easy to affix, harder to put in, but the foglight position is probably better if you already have an upgraded intercooler, or want to keep the skin on your knuckles.

If I did this again, I'd probably use the foglight position - it's just the additional fixings required to install it that I couldn't be bothered with!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

When I looked at it, it looked like a 90deg steel bracket and a couple of bits of "mechano" to stabilise it. Then, as John says, it'd be best to put a shroud in front, and possibly one behind.

Some enterprising Japanese mechanic has already cut a big hole in the passengers arch liner, so ducting the warm air away to a bit of mesh in the wheelarch would seem prudent. Potentially there is enough room for an engine oil cooler in there too!

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

I need to do this mod soon, i can feel a techy day at my place soon!
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    When I looked at it, it looked like a 90deg steel bracket and a couple of bits of "mechano" to stabilise it. Then, as John says, it'd be best to put a shroud in front, and possibly one behind.

Some enterprising Japanese mechanic has already cut a big hole in the passengers arch liner, so ducting the warm air away to a bit of mesh in the wheelarch would seem prudent. Potentially there is enough room for an engine oil cooler in there too!
    That's a pretty decent idea Steve.

I think it would be wise to have a fairly small ATF cooler, otherwise a larger one could be too efficient there, and not allow the ATF to get up to operating temperature. At least on the radiator, you get some conductive heating of the cooler. I would certainly recommend the addition of a thermostat.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Ah....I was going to leave the factory one in place and either have a thermostatic switch valve, or maybe just one that pops over when the boost / throttle increases past a certain point. 1Bar pressure switches aren't too difficult to buy, neither are electric valves.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    12-03-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4

You should organise a group by and get this

http://www.haydenauto.com/new-products/the-dawg.htm

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Nev, I assume you going now only on uprated cooler, not both: aftermarket and still radiator combo in-line?

What was dimensions of yours? It's just another mod on my "waiting-to-do-list"

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by swinks
    Nev, I assume you going now only on uprated cooler, not both: aftermarket and still radiator combo in-line?

What was dimensions of yours? It's just another mod on my "waiting-to-do-list"
    No - both are used, but the fluid flow goes from gearbox, to uprated cooler, to stock cooler in rad, back to gearbox. The idea is that the stock cooler acts as more of a temperature stabiliser. You can bypass the stock cooler quite easily. If you look at the third picture above, as you look at it, if you connect the right hand pipe of the top (and only remaining) upside-down U-pipe, and the right hand pipe of the lower (now not there on mine) upside-down U-pipe to the cooler, this bypasses the stock cooler.

Mine was this very item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V8-Ge...Q5fAccessories

Although for information (i.e. for when the item has disappeared off eBay in a few months!), the text of the ad reads:

Brand New as Pictured! Complete kit includes all-aluminum cooler, mount kit and 36" of Premium Quality Goodyear 300 PSI working pressure 2X reinforced 3/8" ID hose/blue. Fluidyne Extra Heavy Duty Low Pressure Drop/High Flow is State-of-the-Art! 18,000 BTU; 25,000 lbs GVW Rating Automatic Transmission Cooler is only 1" thick. Overall Oil Cooler Measures 18" X 9"; Core measures 12 1/2" X 7". Hi-Tech Patented Design Provides Maximum Cooling Efficiency; up to 50% More Cooling Over Tube and Fin Coolers of the same size. 9 Pass X 9 Channel (81 rows) louvered fin design (see second picture) #10029 is for Motor Homes on down. Extra hose is optional for $2.30 more/foot. Ships USPS Priority Mail in the USA. All Other Buyers email for rate prior to purchase!

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Cheers Nev, ive just ordered that same one! Not a bad price.

Mike

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

The total cost to me in the end was about £70, due to the VAT charge and customs handling fee. Which is still a good price though!

Last Online
    19-10-2010
    Country
    Other
    Car
    vr4 galant

hi , try to buy this , fits good , and have the work

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast