12-07-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Airtrek R turbo
    My Garage
    Visit

I know what your saying Nev. Cause I had the whole front of the car of last weekend I put it as low as I could so the bumper will have to come off.
    The mighty Leedsnum has gone but the Airtrek mods will soon fill this space

How To:Contact Committee or Moderators.

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    12-07-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Airtrek R turbo
    My Garage
    Visit

Got the leak sorted out this morning. The clips that comes with the kit ( well mine anyway) are'nt up to the job.

When you tighten them up the srew bends the grove that tightens it up(hope that makes sence) & it slips.

I replaced them all with 13-15mm fuel line clips as was suggested earlier.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by aboo
    Got the leak sorted out this morning. The clips that comes with the kit ( well mine anyway) are'nt up to the job.

When you tighten them up the srew bends the grove that tightens it up(hope that makes sence) & it slips.

I replaced them all with 13-15mm fuel line clips as was suggested earlier.
    Yep, know what you mean, Andy. Glad you've got it done!

In case anyone was wondering about the fitting - I squeezed my cooler up through the gap between the radiator and intercooler, but need to loosen the intercooler bolts to get enough space at the bottom! Once it's in the gap, there's plenty of room for manoeuvre, even with a bigger FMIC. Although the gap at the bottom would be too big with an FMIC anyway...
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Thread from the dead alert!!

I had a leak from one of the oil cooler hose connections to the standard pipework which would not seal, so I bypassed the cooler, effectively returning the system to stock. About three years ago!!

This was probably due to the supplied cooler pipework being a touch too large. Now, I've been busy with the measurements and I am putting these together in this post for future information.

The OD (outer diameter) of the stock PS (power steering) cooling loop is 10mm.

The OD of the gearbox cooling pipework is 8mm.

The gearbox cooler in the kit I purchased in 2009 has connections of 3/8" (~10mm), and the ID (inner diameter) of the supplied hose was the same.

The difference between the ID of supplied hose (10mm) and the OD of the gearbox pipework (8mm) is probably the cause of the leak. That combined with the boggo jubilee clips. It worked initially, but with a few heat cycles, the expansion and contraction looks to have ultimately led to the leak.

So, if you are looking at a gearbox cooler, I would suggest getting hold of a cooler with 5/16" (~8mm) OD connections, and using Mikalor style clamps.

I am going to use a pair of 10mm to 8mm reducers, new 8mm ID fuel injection hose, and new Mikalor-style clamps galore to refresh & reconnect the ATF cooler.

Well, that's the plan anyway! And my plans have a habit of taking up permanent residence on the back burner! (I thought about making a procrastination smiley, but haven't gotten around to it...)

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

In a surprise turn of events, I have now made my amendments! Not tested it yet as I've not restarted the car. But hopefully good, and it was nice to have snugly fitting pipework.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

This was my mistake also, i bought below that were 3/8" to put on the oil cooler and had to make a 3/8" to 8mm reducer. this has no stared to leak very slightly so i am going to try and find a proper 8mm fitting that will screw onto a standard mocal oil cooler.

Bye for Now!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345