Michael
    Last Online
    18-04-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo Wagon

Boot installs

I have had a good look round and can'd find many pics of ICE installs around. I have some gear from my old car which I have decided after almost two years(!) to put in the Legnum (but with quick-release for track days etc!). I have a sub and a couple of amps (so will go for new speakers all-round too) to give the sound quality a lift, but it needs to be tidy so I'm looking for inspiration.
    I'm thinking one side of the boot with a build to section a small area off with the sub in and the amps mounted externally to the left of the sub.
    I can't loose much boot space as I have a big dog to fir in too!

It's either that or sell the set-up, settle for the cack sound and spend the cash on mods!

Any advice much appreciated.
    Possibly the only former owner of Black Legnum VR4 with Manual shift & Moonroof who now owns a Hamilton Silver Galant.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

I have a Fli 12" sub, they come with the amp built in to the sub enclosure. I like it, it sounds pretty good, its small and easily removed. Plenty of companies sell active subs now, that way it saves you building an install and its easily removed.........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

But unfortunately not very dog proof!

I have two suggestions, but no pics. The first is to mount a single sub in a custom fab glassfibre & MDF enclosure on one side of the boot. I'd suggest the Left hand side, as you don't want it to get in t he way of servicing the AYC, though there does appear to be more space that side!

Amps etc can either be mounted inside the body with the sub, or inside the body on the opposite side.

Option two would be to use the absoloutely huge space in the spare wheel well.
    As far as I can see, if you can fabricate a modified oddments tray (as it helps to support the boot floor) with a 12" or similar cone mounted through it, and amps towards the rear of this space.
    Alternatively, if you're prepared to completely lose the spare wheel, you can get quite a lot in that space.

Issues? Getting the bass into the cabin would appear to require some ducting, as the seal between the boot floor and the cabin is pretty good. I was considering running some long, tuned ducts under the rear passenger seat? Wide and flat is the way LOL.

My preference is to mount the amps etc in the well, and graft the sub into the bodywork one side of the boot.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

You can also get amps under the front seats - easier wiring running the P-Con and battery feed to the engine bay. Admittedly it is tight with length x width - but I went for this model of Pioneer amp and it was the best for the money and perfect fit for underseat mounting.

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/2...420/index.html

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

HM...I'm guessing your kids don't clamber in and out of your back seat, then: If I put an amp under the seat, the cables would last about 5 minutes LOL

If your car is being used by respectful grown ups, it'll fine.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    HM...I'm guessing your kids don't clamber in and out of your back seat, then: If I put an amp under the seat, the cables would last about 5 minutes LOL

If your car is being used by respectful grown ups, it'll fine.
    hehehehe!

I have a saloon... and is that what I need to watch for when I have kids?

At the moment the car is immaculate inside - so any kids I have will be automatically assigned exclusively to the squeeze's car!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Pretty much, yes: When they're very small it's patches of vomit/drool. Then they get a little bigger, and it's random raisins, bits of breadstick, and maybe vomit, though you hope not. A bit older and it's..er...."toilet training" related spillages. Then it's "I can get in myself daddy" which means door sill scratches, footprints on the patch of carpet just next to the seat, and footprints on the seat.

Toys get dropped into the footwell, and have to be "explored for" on the way out of the car.

And you won't complain. You'll sigh, and think "oooh..I remember when this car was pristine" but you'll smile because it's actually quite wonderful, and means that your decision to buy a 10yr old Japanese car instead of blowing the savings on that massively discounted RS4 are totally justified. She's happy with the car, and so am I, though it needs to be quicker, and lose the wood, and when the seat gets a footprint, or banana on it, I just sigh and wipe the leather clean and don't worry about losing value on the car: it's already gone.

These really are the performance bargain of the century: they're a bit of everything to everyone, but the perfect performance family car.

I've had amps under seats, and CD changers, and the grown ups kick them about unintentionally. The kids would just destroy them as they get older.

Give how much amps, subs and everything else has come on, I am confident that as long as you can get some forced air cooling to the amps, a single decent subwoofer is more bass than you'll ever need in a family car.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    28-11-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by bigsed
    I have had a good look round and can'd find many pics of ICE installs around. I have some gear from my old car which I have decided after almost two years(!) to put in the Legnum (but with quick-release for track days etc!). I have a sub and a couple of amps (so will go for new speakers all-round too) to give the sound quality a lift, but it needs to be tidy so I'm looking for inspiration.
    I'm thinking one side of the boot with a build to section a small area off with the sub in and the amps mounted externally to the left of the sub.
    I can't loose much boot space as I have a big dog to fir in too!

It's either that or sell the set-up, settle for the cack sound and spend the cash on mods!

Any advice much appreciated.
    I will post up some pics of my install after I have ridden today

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

hi guys,heres a few pics of mums vits i bought and pimped out for her,i made a custom fibreglass enclosure with a punch rockford sub,deep sub,hope this helps,im building my custom sub install in the same manner as mums,in the spare wheel well too,but without the wheel tho,i designed mums sub enclosure to be easly removed and the sub enclosure and wood top lifts out and unclips fast for quick removal if she needs to change the mag
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Shane
    Last Online
    11-02-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    99 Galant VR4

"The
    KOKENATOR Sent back in time to destroy all inferior tools!"

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    28-11-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 Galant VR4

caution messy boot install attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

man you should contact soundstream i think your a perfect candidate for their spiders to make webs in lol,all them amps and 1 lil sub?? or is there another few somewhare?

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Looks like amps for fronts, rears and one for the sub.
    Not an ideal setup, I have to admit, but you work with what you've got!

Generally I leave the rears alone, just sticking a passive Hi-pass cross-over on them and running them off the headunit, though now that the kids listen to music in the car, this may change.

For running a single Alpine DDD, I'd be tempted to choose a good quality Alpine 4 channeller, and run it bridged on the second channels, though, and get my spare wheel well returned to me!!

Plus, you could sell me your spare amps LOL

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

For instance, I reckon that the Alpine MRV-F450 V12 is a really good piece of kit for a family car needing a bit more poke in audio department. Small footprint, not too power hungry, and surprisingly underrated power wise (Alpine's I've had have been much more powerful than the numbers on the box).
    I'm dead keen.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    28-11-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 Galant VR4

actaully I don't run rears, the MRV-F340 is running the tweeters (type X), the MRV-1005 is running the mids (also type X) and the MRV-1000 is running the sub.

I had 2 x type R subs running off a MRD-1000 but sold them to free up some cash a few years ago.

The head unit is currently a CDA-9855 but is usually a CDA-7998R coupled with an MP3 stacker.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Just re-read my posts: Sorry Tim: I wasn't meaning to down on your setup....I bet it sounds good, and with that lot is plenty loud!! Alpine kit is very good.

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    28-11-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 Galant VR4

it is over kill power wise but sounds really good.

I just need to sound deaden the doors to make it sound better.

Name
    Michael
    Last Online
    18-04-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo Wagon

Lots of interesting stuff here thanks folks, I'll see what I can get built over the coming weeks if its not too cold! I think for now I'll sorth the sub out, as I ran cables to the boot ages ago as my boxed sub was in but the enclosure was too big and kept shifting about.
    Once the bass is sorted I have a quite big 4-way Kenwood amp to go in but might just use it to power the front speakers when I pick some replacements for the stock ones. It's just deciding where to put that amp, if its under the seat it might get too hot, plus there's an air vent down there too. If I manage to make a resonable job of it I'll get some photos up. Cheers folks.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

good onya man,just remember its for YOU not for other people so downt worry what others think of your setup,as long as your happy with it youll love it and be proud of your onwn hard work and choice

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

As mentioned, unless it's small, and you mount it up off the floor, or block the vents, kit under the seats generally has problems. From experience.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast