Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

You know what - I reckon those turbos are verging on too big!
    I also reckon the Garretts will am absolutely amazing - close to the old spool time, but with the same peak power.

I bet your fuel usage is way better............................if you can resist putting your foot down.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

The power still drops off a bit though above 6000rpm with a steady boost, if anything the boost is going up a bit around 6600rpm. I wonder if it is due to cam duration or timing?

Having a look at your old dyno's, with the auto you were running at 1.25 bar across the entire range with a small peak to 1.276 bar at the end. Your max power was with around 1.23 bar. On your new dyno your max power was with about 1.18 bar.

You need to get the boost back up to around 1.25 or 1.3 bar across the whole range
    Last edited by bradc; 18-03-2010 at 07:24 PM.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    You know what - I reckon those turbos are verging on too big!
    I also reckon the Garretts will am absolutely amazing - close to the old spool time, but with the same peak power.
    Which Garretts might that be Steve? (I've searched this topic but can't find a model number, I do know there is no easy upgrade way, but, who knows... I might be next doing something 'stupid' )

Name
    Anders
    Last Online
    23-10-2020
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR4-19T&Legnum

It is probably the GT2554R or GT2560R ball bearing turbos. Both uses the same T25 inlet flange as the KKR 280. Have not checked the physical size of the 2554R compared to KKR 280 but maybe it is even smaller. That means it will bolt on to the standard manifolds with adapter plates

2554R:s is what I am planning to install some day

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

That's the fellas

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yeah I did loads of research and ended up working out that the 2554's would be awesome on the vr4 , they are the smallest BB turbos but are supposed to flow enough for 270 bhp each

Name
    Madhav
    Last Online
    15-08-2019
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    450whp supra

Yeah I think the boost could be upped from 17psi to 21psi and this could potentially give more power, maybe 10-15kw? I don't know, at the end of the day 250kw atw is pretty damn good.

If the kkr's are failing, as in this is the cause of the gray smoke, then I will ask about replacing them with gt25rs as they would be physically smaller and should be a relatively easy swap considering kkr turbos are desingned to be a bolt on upgrade for nissans. All the ground work is done. Will take it to embleton and ask him. There is a mechanic next door to him, I'll get him to diagnose it, I hope it is the turbos and not the valve stem seals now.

The turbo size is comparable with a lot of 'big single' turbo setups, as in when the boost and torque comes on, just not with what us vr4 drivers are used to, we are all spoilt. But yeah I will enquire.

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Aren't these turbos relatively new? I would be pretty surprised if they were failing already!

Name
    Madhav
    Last Online
    15-08-2019
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    450whp supra

Pics of the new tune vs old one. Top two are with the manual transmission, just tuned yesterday, bottom two are with the auto transmission, a few months back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Madhav; 19-03-2010 at 01:00 AM.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Quote Originally Posted by wintertidenz
    Aren't these turbos relatively new? I would be pretty surprised if they were failing already!
    I seem to recall they were either starved of oil or oil pressure was too high at one point.

Name
    Madhav
    Last Online
    15-08-2019
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    450whp supra

Quote Originally Posted by wintertidenz
    Yeah I would be too, will find out soon what the problem is... and yeah the first time they failed was because one of them wasn't primed properly and had an incorrect oil pressure restrictor.

Name
    Felipe
    Last Online
    07-01-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    97 manual VR4

was that 255 kw at the flywheel??? am i reading that wrong?

Name
    Madhav
    Last Online
    15-08-2019
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    450whp supra

255kw atw, even though the chart says flywheel.

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    02-01-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    96 Legnum VR-4

Nice! The peak figures and boost figures look very similar but then I noted that you now hit 224kW ATW @ 4500rpm whereas the RPW tune only hit 210kW by 4500rpm.

Since the boost curves are very similar it seems to show the value of a good tune!

The boost curves are both very good and seem very flat once peak boost is hit....compared to the stock tubs which generally seem to show a drop off at higher revs. Which suggests you may be able to get more out them?

Name
    Madhav
    Last Online
    15-08-2019
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    450whp supra

Had it diagnosed, definitely valve stem seals... will still enquire about the turbo swap while I'm at it though.

Name
    Madhav
    Last Online
    15-08-2019
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    450whp supra

To update: a week before going in to drop off my car to get the v s seals changed, the timing belt tensioner bolt randomly snapped on me. The car was still running after it snapped, but it sounded like a tractor with the timing belt cover rattling on the cooler pipes, after i switched the engine off, it refused to kick over... I dropped the car off early to the mechanic, and he said I now had to change the engine.

Called up the mechanic who did the 100k service, explained the situation, he said he's done many vr-4s and the timing belt is done all the same, and it would have snapped due to either stress or old age but not over tensioning. I don't know what to think? But either way he said he'd change the engine for only $200 in labour.

So i scored another engine with similar km from an aussie forum member and this one looks to have been looked after (plastic vr4 engine cover in good cond) and am now like the auto to manual conversion days, playing the waiting game.

I will be taking the engine back to stock turbos though and selling the car. So if anyone is seriously interested in a bolt on turbo kit proven to make good power you day has come. Just don't know how long it will take to get the mechanic to finish the job! But it will happen eventually.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

just read through this and still interested in the kit. I have a pair of kkr280 turbos waiting to go on. If you still have it, how much would you be interested in? also post to uk

Name
    Madhav
    Last Online
    15-08-2019
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    450whp supra

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wiltshire View Post
    just read through this and still interested in the kit. I have a pair of kkr280 turbos waiting to go on. If you still have it, how much would you be interested in? also post to uk
    I actually sold the kit a long time back to a guy from south Australia, so I cant help you, however if you log onto ozvr4 and search for a member called ,"bogan bob" he has the kit and maybe able to help you out sourcing all the other bits and pieces.
    Last edited by Madhav; 24-01-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789