Donald
    Last Online
    13-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Some general questions about the Legnum

having introduced myself in the 'Newbie' section, I thought it best to start a new thread as I have some questions I hope can be answered as a legnum virgin!

Am familiar with the Evo5 and have done extensive work to my one and use it for sprints & hillclimbs. From what I can see, there's a few similarities to the legnum and I have a garge full of Evo spares, but don't know what would be interchangeable.....

1) will the Evo Brembo calipers & discs fit the legnum?
    2) is the AYC diff the same as the early Evo's (4-6) with the same tooth count?
    3) Is the transfer box and gearbox the same?
    4) where is the best place to fit/wire the speedo converter?
    5) Are any of the suspension arms/links the same as the Evo ones?

Any info is appreciated. My Legnum is a 1997 pre facelift model

Cheers

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

evo brembos and discs arent a direct fit, yours is a PFL so the hub carriers are different, they are on the FL cars, think you can change the carriers to get them to fit

Name
    Malc
    Last Online
    29-11-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Audi S3 3000GT
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome aboard.

There are a number similarities between EVO's and VR4's.
    Brembo's will fit but you will need later facelift hubs.
    AYC is similar in that VR4's
    Thats the extent of my knowledge but I'm sure somebody with more
    detailed info will be along shortly.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

1) will the Evo Brembo calipers & discs fit the legnum?
    They will fit facelifted cars (usually 1998 onwards) if you fit bigger wheels.
    Pre-Facelift (PFL) cars will need different carriers, as mentioned.

2) is the AYC diff the same as the early Evo's (4-6) with the same tooth count?
    Not sure if it's the same internally, but all AYC diffs seem to be interchangeable? I believe you may need shafts as well, though.

3) Is the transfer box and gearbox the same?
    Not really: I believe they can be made to fit, but it's easier to swap the internals, as the casings are quite different.

4) where is the best place to fit/wire the speedo converter?

Pass: Mine was fitted when I got the car, however I think most peoples go behind the dashboard.

5) Are any of the suspension arms/links the same as the Evo ones?
    I don't believe so: The suspension arms seems to come from the Eclipse rather than the Evo.

welcome to ClubVR4. Can I reccomend you join up as a full member (if you're buying the car) where all these questions (and more) are answered in full detail within the members section & articles.

As you'll struggle to get your hands on the right fluids in the UK anyway, it's easiest to join the club and have a ready supply complete with a discount that pays for your membership

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Answers:

1. Only the facelift. The hole spacing on the caliper/hub carrier join is incorrect on the prefacelift.
    2. I am pretty sure so, yes. People on here have "upgraded" to Evo 8 rear diffs when the AYC goes bang, due to the lower tooth count but fundamentally the same ratio.
    3. I have never seen any evidence to say that the transfer box is the same, however I would be gobsmacked if it is different. The gearboxes are the same, but with a different bellhousing.
    4. I would say just above the gearbox, below the throttle body, as the wires enter the loom from the sensor. This offsets the speed limiter as well as converts the speedo and odometer (from that point on). Any other way is just as tricky to wire and doesn't necessarily do everything you want.
    5. Not that I am aware. The suspension shares things with the Eclipse from the same era, but even that is not all proven. Some of the wheel bearings are the same as the evo ones, I think.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Feck me, what a helpful forum this is!

Name
    Donald
    Last Online
    13-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    Feck me, what a helpful forum this is!
    Certainly is! Thanks for the answers to my questions.

So if the wheel bearings are the same as Evo's it stands to reason that the PCD for the wheels is the same? as Evo wheel bearings come with the drive flange and studs ready fitted.

There may be the odd time when parts for the Evo don't arrive and I'll need to switch cars for an event... if the wheels are interchangeable I can fit the soft compound tyres and rag it up the hill.... Might feel slow compared to the Evo (610hp)

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Yeah. If your Evo wheels are more sticky-out (good technical term eh?) than the standard Evo wheels, then you will probably foul the arches.

I am running Evo 9 wheels fine, and many on here run other Evo wheels. With 235 wide rubber, there is a small chance of tyre rubbage on the rear arch. It seems dependant on how load you are carrying and the make of the tyre.

The standard VR4 discs and pads are identical to the non-Brembo Evos. (If you quote the Evo 4, you get the right stuff every time.)

Name
    Donald
    Last Online
    13-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Thumbs up

Excellent. I only use Evo 7 wheels so they should fit fine then? At the moment I have 3 sets with Dunlop D02 S2 soft compound to destroy! 235's just fit the Evo without fouling the arches but the Legnum has been lowered already so I'll have to try them on

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

We'd be keen to know how you get on.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicga...p?do=view&g=50

I used to use 7's. I still have them for track days...

Name
    Keith
    Last Online
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4

I have evo 7 wheels with 235 rubber and ralliart suspension. I have not noticed any fouling of the arches.
    When I drove it home I was carrying one passenger and 5 wheels and tyres in the boot.

Cheers, Keith

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

To answer your questions that haven't been fully answered yet:

1. As others have said, chuck some facelift hub carriers on and they will bolt on.
    2. AYC - the EVO 4 and VR-4 have identical diff's. They have 16/53 teeth for a 3.323 ratio. EVO 5-9 have 13/43 teeth. They did this to strengthen things up a bit as they were breaking the pinion wheel when people were doing launches. Obviously the 5-7 are normal AYC and 8/9 are SAYC, but they still all have 13/43 teeth. The new ratio is 3.307, this didn't seem to be enough to bother Mitsi, all EVO4-6 and VR-4's share the same part number for the transfer case, which answers your next question.
    3. The gearbox internals are the same. I'm running an EVO 7 gearset to give me a longer 1st, 2nd and 5th. Every EVO 5 speed gearbox from 4 to 9 is the same.
    4. I live in a civilised part of the world where we use kmh, so I don't know
    5. Not really. We run MultiLink all round, whereas EVO's use a simpler MacPherson at the front.