Thread: What sort of money to upgrade to VR-4?

Last Online
    04-06-2009
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant Sport

What sort of money to upgrade to VR-4?

Hi chaps,

I hate having to write this out as I know that there is no straight answer due to the many varibles but.....

As some of you may know I currently run a 2000/X V6 Sport Galant Saloon (107k).

In the near future I would like to make the move up to a VR-4, but with varying prices I would be interested in general opinions of how much extra cash I will need to put on top of mine, in order to get a decent, reliable VR.

I've read a few horror stories & so do not want to buy a car that needs this, that & the other doing to it before it's unlikely to blow up on me (i.e; Remap lol).

I am only interested in a Saloon, facelift preferably. I know manuals are rare anyway, but not fussed if it's a tip or manual.

Tips & thoughts???

Many thanks,

G

So, going on that

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Facelifts seem to still have a premium over pre's, but the first ones are now over 10 years old, so are starting to be imported.

Money is a changeable thing, but I will take a guess at £3k plus your car. It may be mroe or less, depending on who gets a bargain and who doesn't!

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Prepare for much much more. Sooner or later you gonna rebuild you car, ugrade this or that, tune this or that. It's a disease and everyone will catch sooner than late a specific bug.
    So... better pay some horrendous money for very top shelf piece of car, than later spend same for upgrading.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by Minter
    Hi chaps,

I hate having to write this out as I know that there is no straight answer due to the many varibles but.....

As some of you may know I currently run a 2000/X V6 Sport Galant Saloon (107k).

In the near future I would like to make the move up to a VR-4, but with varying prices I would be interested in general opinions of how much extra cash I will need to put on top of mine, in order to get a decent, reliable VR.

I've read a few horror stories & so do not want to buy a car that needs this, that & the other doing to it before it's unlikely to blow up on me (i.e; Remap lol).

I am only interested in a Saloon, facelift preferably. I know manuals are rare anyway, but not fussed if it's a tip or manual.

Tips & thoughts???

Many thanks,

G

So, going on that
    These cars are very reliable if they have been maintained properly (like most things I guess). Using the correct specification of fluids is quite important. Wherever you buy your VR-4 you need to have it thoroughly checked out - if you aren't mechanically minded, take some along who is and quiz the owner at length about what has / hasn't done.

Repairs can be very expensive if items requiring attention have been neglected (especially the automatic transmission which requires diligent maintenance).

Check out the Buyer's Guide which may be of some help:

http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=BuyersGuide

Name
    Jan
    Last Online
    26-04-2015
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Series 2 Legnum

What about getting a pre-facelift VR-4 and swapping the front and rear bumpers on your facelift car over? Then you could put the pre-facelift items on your car and sell it off. You might save some money there over buying a facelift car.

Last Online
    04-06-2009
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant Sport

Hmm, not sure about swapping bumpers around. I like the idea in a way but realisticly I'd prob' have to sell mine before buying a VR.

Anyway, as for money, it looks like thoughts are in order to get a decent VR I'd need to put 3k to mine, so what price should I expect for mine....circa £1500 - £1700??

I was hoping to add about about 2k, thus having around £3.5k to play with.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Thougt you needed to do some mods to the bumper to get it to fit a PFL.

I wouldnt rule out a PFL car, there are more of them, and they do look better imho, Stuartturbo has a nice one for sale I think, already modded

Name
    Jan
    Last Online
    26-04-2015
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Series 2 Legnum

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    Well the front bumper from a PFL bolts right up to a FL car, no probs, I know that.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by pitslayer
    Nope! Just swap plug&play, only just one issue with front bumper - PFL wheel arch covers are bit tight (FL are wider), so pins on the edges of bumpers ain't maching holes in wheel arch covers. But you can use anything to tie bumper with cover

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    17-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Alfa Romeo 159

If you get around £1k for your V6 Sport, you would only need up to another £3k for a decent, late-model VR4. You will find plenty of facelift VR4 from £3.5k to £4k if you look around.
    2014 Skoda Octavia 2.0 petrol Vrs estate
    2015 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 Tdi Bluemotion
    1971 BRG MGB Roadster
    1970 VW T2 Baywindow camper