Last Online
    30-11-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    e46 330ci Conv

BOV Information

Learned friends.

I am contemplating buying an atmospheric BOV for my Scooby but, apart from the fact they make a fun noise, I don't know much more (yes, I want one for the noise!).

So, I have a few questions (I can think of - there are probably loads more to ask) and would be grateful for some answers.

1. Why the price variation - £35 to £350?? What is so good about a £350 one?
    2. What does the "Bung" do (is it important)?
    3. Will it damage my car in any way?
    4. Will it improve anything on my car?

Answers to the above and any additional questions I should be asking are most welcome

Thanks - Nev
    One of the big problems in society is stupidity.
    Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Right.....

1. The price variation is down to quality and what you are after. If you are just after a VTA for the noise then you want a twin piston rather than a diaphram if you dont want them to leak. Don't be fooled into thinking that the more you spend though the better it will be, its not always the case. For example...I didnt really care about what type of noise it made, i just needed a VTA for the setup on the VR4. So i could have gone out and spent £250+ for a HKS SSQV or i could have bought a NOMAD twin piston for around £100. It turns out the Nomad sounds amazing but the main reason i bought it was the fact that it doesnt leak, unlike some of the more expensive ones like the HKS. If you want a specific sound though that some of the named valves have, like again the ssqv or the r2d2 then you'l have to pay the money

2. As your removing a recirulating valve that pumps air back into the induction system you will need a bung or you'l constantly be sucking unmetered air.

3. It will not damage your car in anyway...It will slightly effect the fueling as the ecu has calculated for the air that your dumping to be back into the system, so you will run slightly rich for a second while it dumps the pressure.

4. Unforunately unless your old valve was leaking, or you've increased the boost beyond the capabilty of the standard one to withstand then you will not notice any real difference other than the sound.

Hope that helped at least a little