Donald
    Last Online
    13-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

WTB: Single wheel needed

Hit a huge 5ft long pothole last night which took out a front wheel (7x17 ET38)and tyre on the Legnum so am looking for a wheel to match the one shown below. The steering wheel is now off to the right so more damage to find...

Have a claim in for the damage to the council but they say only one in five claims are successful! I'd have thought that the council have a duty to maintain the roads to avoid damaging cars but apparently only a periodic inspection is needed and if they don't know about it then they can't fix it. What makes this worse is the hole is at the end of a long straight just before a sharp right hander (60 limit - narrowish road) and after hitting the hole, the NS tyre deflated pretty quickly just as I was turning in to the corner. How the car didn't end up in the ditch/field is just pure luck.

Even worse still, this hole was supposedly filled 2 weeks ago....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

the fact that they filled it only two weeks ago proves that they knew about the issue which gives you more ground against them .

good luck with the hunt for the wheel

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

If you know the make and model name of the wheel it may make it easier to locate a set of them. I have a similar set of alloys but they are definitely not a match for the one you want.

And as Nutter said, if the council recently 'filled' the pothole in, it may make your claim easier to prove, but with the recent cold weather, there are potholes everywhere. Thankfully, the ones I've hit have been small enough and my 235 wide tyres just ride over them!

Good luck in the hunt though.
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    Donald
    Last Online
    13-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Checkpoint have confirmed the wheel is a TEKNO, made in italy but no UK suppliers. I don't know if the wheels were on the car before it entered the UK, or if they were fitted over here after import. Perhaps 'Turboshaz' can confirm?

I have intimated that the insurers for the council either have to find a wheel or supply a new full set of whatever looks similar. Time will tell. The chances are the claim will be thrown out quoting some 'rule' that stops their liability for the damage. As far as I'm concerned the roads should be safe to drive on and accept it's difficult to maintain them perfectly in weather like this and with budgets being squeezed by Westminster but I do expect them to be safe. When a hole damages a tyre to the point it deflates just before a sharp 60mph corner then they've been negligent in my eyes and that'll be the main thing I'll be following if the claim fails. I won't be backing down on this one!

Meantime I have a set of Evo wheels I can fit but they have my soft compound hillclimb Dunlops on - not good on standing water!

Get the popcorn and pull up a chair! I'll post progress as and when I hear back.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

If the council have not put a cone or warning sign at the hole, they are responsible, (and as mentioned above if they have repaired it badly that goes against them! also), and will settle out of court rather than pay the court costs as well. They will say it's not there problem to put you off, but I know two folk in Glasgow who have had full sets replaced as they could not find the exact wheel still available, hang in there, good luck.
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Donald
    Last Online
    13-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Cheers for the replies, feeling a little better now that I might actually get somewhere with this claim for damages. I've had claims thrown out in the past despite having photographic proof. Seems they can use the 'it was inspected within 180 days and it was fine last time they looked' line to throw out a claim.

Still no further in finding a replacement wheel though

Last Online
    23-08-2009
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4/5gt turbo

hello,

im really sorry to hear this i looked after those alloys like nothing else, just your luck eh These where added to the car in the UK after import. Ive sent you a pm but thought id add i seen a newish Corsa with the same make of alloys on the other day not the same style though. Also seen the same make, once again not same style though, for sale in a car modifying shop in Ayr (can remember the name). Ive sent you my hotmail account anyway, as im not on this much looking at Legnums just makes me want another one! So the make is available to buy in the UK just seems quite rare! I wish you all the best with it!

Sharon
    Owned by a Renault 5 Gt turbo & the new addition Legnum Vr4!!
    Diamonds are a girls best friend

Name
    Donald
    Last Online
    13-03-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Update: Still no luck finding a single wheel but have had a letter from the Councils' insurers saying they're dealing with the claim and want to 'investigate' further.

The letter says I now have to prove the council has been negligent before there's any payout. I called the lady dealing with it at the insurance co. and told her I know the pothole was 'repaired' (using that term looseley!) a few weeks before and it'd opened up again. I'd have thought negligence they did a bodge repair that wouldn't last until their next inspection would be enough I guess?

The bad thing about this is the car hasn't turned a wheel in the last few weeks so needs a good 'spirited' drive to blow away the cobwebs but I've not got round to checking if the 8x17" rims from the Evo will foul the arches. Perhaps someone can confirm?

Good news is I have a UK spec head unit on the way for it which I'm hoping will allow the multichanger to stay

Also saw a maroon Legnum in Culter earlier in the week, and a white one today while on the way out to Inverurie. Anyone on here?

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

The evo rims will be fine. I haven't seen a maroon Legnum in Aberdeen but there are a couple of Galant estates.
    I was in Aberdeen today with my brother's white facelift but there is also Aboo and Tolcol with white pre's