Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Project Finesse Commences - The Rebuild

Well it's been a week since I moved the car to the workshop to start the rebuild process so I thought I'd catalogue some of the work here. Mods please feel free to move this to a more suitable location if you see fit.

It's been a slow week with some work last weekend and only 2 nights this week. The down side to working here is that your only friends are the people you work with and none of them are the slightest bit interested in cars. I therefore drag Heidi, and occasionally Sophie, in as I'm not allowed on my own. This has the down side of meaning I get moaned at after two hours that they're bored so it's down tools. Some of the time was spent on fixing Yoshi, the Delica, that needed some glow plugs and a few other tweaks. I had hoped to get the KADs fitted too but the FMIC proved to be a little trickier to get right than I expected, too much panic on my part, it even took me 40 mins to be happy with the position of the axle stands LOL

So here goes:

Everyone has seen the threads about stripping out the headlamps. You then remove the two press clips holding the edges of the bumper to the wheel arch liners, the two press clips holding the leading edge of the bumper to the two brackets and the four screws hidden behind the bumper going up into the front wings. There's then a row of press clips along the top edge of the bumper and you should be able to lift it away.
    There's a metal strip that the top press clips go into that can be removed by undoing the two 10mm bolts holding it in. Then it's the turn of the impact beam which takes two 12mm bolts either side, et voila.

Almost a week later and I'm only this far. The impact beam is unmodified but as Glenn will vouch its a smashing good time getting the FMIC in. I opted for a different method of adjusting the bonnet catch and I think it still needs some fine tuning but at least it locks in place. The brackets are made out of 3mm stainless plate used for mounting hardware into a server rack unit and aren't going anywhere. I just wish I had something better than a junior hacksaw to cut with LOL. I need to make some lower brackets but I'm going to fit them where the lower bumper brackets go. The power steering cooler will be mounted tomorrow to complete the rebuild.

The car will remain in place for the next 3-4 weeks as we're back in the UK a week today and I've bought Red's old front bumper to bring back with me. It was cheaper than repairing and repainting the current one and was freshly resprayed. Over this weekend however it is my intention to finish the FMIC and move on to the KADs. After much deliberation I decided they won't get pushed (pardon the pun) enough to to warrant too much worrying about just now. I need to find some black caliper paint though to protect the metal.

Watch this space folks.
    Last edited by Beastlee; 27-03-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Good work Lee!

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

aha progress! keep going lee!
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

No pics but the PAS cooler is connected, what a pig of a job that was! I just need to tie it to the FMIC to hold it in place now then add PAS fluid and see what happens. Got some of that sticky-back padding to stop it chafing, nothing worse than chafing eh lads? Refitted the bumper temporarily to check for fitment and decided I'll replace the Mitsi lower bumper brackets with some that also go to the bottom of the FMIC. I didn't want to remove the lower grille but seems it is a must as the PAS pipes and the end hoses push a little too much for it to sit comfortably.

Ran out of time at the workshop but the day wasn't a waste, paid a visit to the local Halfords equivalent and picked up something for one of tomorrow's jobs. Heidi had spent the last 3 hours preparing it for me so tomorrow should be a good day if I get the job done as planned.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee
    paid a visit to the local Halfords equivalent and picked up something for one of tomorrow's jobs. Heidi had spent the last 3 hours preparing it for me so tomorrow should be a good day if I get the job done as planned.
    Ooh! Intrigue!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

That'll be the black caliper paint then

Good to see some progress Lee ...
    1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning
    That'll be the black caliper paint then

Good to see some progress Lee ...

Black? Nah black is boring.....and doesn't go with green

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Lee....probably a bit late for this suggestion, but you could always use a slightly smaller PS radiator with fins on behind the drivers side foglight?

My thoughts were - Engine oil and PS coolers behind drivers side fog (IF the screenwash bottle isn't too much in the way) and RHS for xmission cooler.

Just whilst you've got the front all off, you understand?

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

Black? Nah black is boring.....and doesn't go with green
    Edit: That'll be THE caliper paint then

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    Lee....probably a bit late for this suggestion, but you could always use a slightly smaller PS radiator with fins on behind the drivers side foglight?

My thoughts were - Engine oil and PS coolers behind drivers side fog (IF the screenwash bottle isn't too much in the way) and RHS for xmission cooler.

Just whilst you've got the front all off, you understand?
    TBH I don't think it's much of a job to remove the bumper again if need be. You're right about the cooler idea though....will have a looksee about the room bur I think it would be way to tight for both on that side. There's a fair old void behind the intercooler before the air-con and engine rads.

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Go Lee.... Go Lee

All you'll need then is a carbon fibre bonnet !

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

How do you get a smaller PS Radiator than a Piece of Bendy Pipe

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Quote Originally Posted by WODJNO
    How do you get a smaller PS Radiator than a Piece of Bendy Pipe
    LOL. BTW Glenn how did you hold the modified PS cooler pipes behind the front of the car? I was going to re-use the existing clamp but that would have required too much additional bending of the already fragile pipe. I've put it place for the most part but I don't like them flapping near the aux belt.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Well after topping the PAS fluid back up here's the work done today.

OLD:

NEW:

Size comparison:

Heidi spent ages yesterday painting up the calipers and I really like the colour but they've been soiled by the grease and brake fluid that leaked when I was fitting them.
    I found the original caliper bolts were far better than the ones that came with the calipers. They are slightly shorter but still bolt all the way through and the 17mm nut is much easier to work with than a 10mm hex head!
    I had to take a rubber mallet and a puller to the driver's side disc off the hub and at one point I thought the whole hub was going to pop off!
    I couldn't undo the brake hoses, I guess this is a common problem and I wasn't willing to take any chances on damaging the ends so I haven't fitted the braided hoses yet. It also seems that KAD have used imperial threads which means none of my spanners are a perfect fit. The bleed nipples are stiff as hell which will prove to be fun when I bleed it through.

I was quite impressed with the clearance between the Rotas and the calipers, as can be seen here :

Annoyingly the battery has gone flat so I can't do much.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

LOL. BTW Glenn how did you hold the modified PS cooler pipes behind the front of the car? I was going to re-use the existing clamp but that would have required too much additional bending of the already fragile pipe. I've put it place for the most part but I don't like them flapping near the aux belt.
    I'm pretty sure I think i Cable Tied it to the bottom bracket i made for securing the FMIC

Just here: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachm...3&d=1143585228

Can't remember now, it's over 3 years ago i did it

I know the fixing to the frong was like this:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachm...4&d=1143585366

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachm...5&d=1143585366

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachm...6&d=1143585366

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachm...8&d=1143585581
    Last edited by Wodjno; 29-03-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

That would explain the cable tie flopping around LOL

I've re-clamped the pipes together with the bracket and will thread a tie through the hole instead of round the pipes.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

That would explain the cable tie flopping around LOL

I've re-clamped the pipes together with the bracket and will thread a tie through the hole instead of round the pipes.
    I may have done that also

I can't remember to clearly how it all fits now

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Age does that LOL

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Quote Originally Posted by wodj
    How do you get a smaller PS Radiator than a Piece of Bendy Pipe?
    By using a shorter pipe with cooling fins. Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAGUAR-XJS-STEERING-FLUID-COOLER-V12_W0QQitemZ140301297973QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item140301297973& _trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65 %3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

By using a shorter pipe with cooling fins. Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAGUAR-XJS-STEERING-FLUID-COOLER-V12_W0QQitemZ140301297973QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item140301297973& _trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65 %3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
    If i was going to relocate, i'd rather go for something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MITSUBISHI-SHO...ayphotohosting

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast