Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Exclamation >> HOW << much!!??

So anyone managed to have the flightcase they are carrying try and make it through their rear window?
    I did yesterday. I said some choice words as I was showered with bits of glass.
    So I now have a rear window made of Gaffer Tape, and the insurance company are sorting it out...and will take 7 - 10 days to do so!
    As the insurance company weren't open yesterday (I guess people don't have accidents on Sundays?) she rang Autowindscreens (or similar) for a quote for a new rear window.

So.....how much do you think it costs?

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum Man
    My Garage
    Visit

Well if its anything like the 800-900 quid I was roughly quoted for a new front windshield for my VR-4...
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

First response wins! £899 quid for a rear window with a 2.5 - 3week wait for the part!!!
    The last window I broke was the windscreen on a scoob, and it cost £130 to replace!

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    So anyone managed to have the flightcase they are carrying try and make it through their rear window?
    So how did that happen ? And whats a flight case

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

its a big ass filofax!!
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by miller
    its a big ass filofax!!
    So how did it end up going Backwards

Name
    stuart
    Last Online
    13-05-2014
    Country
    England
    Car
    530d touring

Done the flight case out the back trick...... Except it broke clean out the roller shutter on a trailer I was towing, and made off down the road on it's own castors..... !!!!

Glennn one of these...
    http://www.dragoncases.co.uk/site_im...asma-cases.jpg

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by stuey
    Done the flight case out the back trick...... Except it broke clean out the roller shutter on a trailer I was towing, and made off down the road on it's own castors..... !!!!

Glennn one of these...
    http://www.dragoncases.co.uk/site_im...asma-cases.jpg

Ah Ha !!

So it didn't actually go through the window.. More like the top edge shove against it and smashed it

Steve. Get a Rear Strut Brace.. Then you will have something o secure it to

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

With a rear strut brace, it wouldn't even have fitted in the car!

It was actually one big(ish) flight case and two smaller ones. The big one was (I thought) pinned down well, but I didn't realise I hadn't fully folded the seats flat. As such, when I braked, the weight transfer was enough for the big case to lean harder on the seats, and fold them fully flat. And now everything has room to move: the big case was tipped, so could roll, but the smaller one next to it wasn't. It rolled forwards on braking, allowing the really small one (standard 2U 19" rack unit) to fall flat on top of it. Next time I accelerated, it slid along the small one....and out of the back window (THANKfully just out onto the road, and not the car behind).

Not sure if this is normal, but on our car we have to be a little patient with the tip box....if you want to pull away slowly, you have to put your foot down a touch, and then wait. If you try to "slot" into traffic on a roundabout quickly, you have to put your foot down a bit harder, and then the box waits a second, and suddenly shoves you out into the traffic quite hard. It's the only thing I don't really like about the INVECSII box (I'd also prefer it to warn you that you'd knocked it into tip mode and so were holding it in 1st gear, though fortunately this hasn't happened).
    It's due a fluid change (and a cambelt! erk!) in the next 10,000 miles or so, so maybe that will smooth it out a little....all the other changes are fine.

The crossover in the flightcase survived (a Lake unit...very nice).
    The 8-way 36 band Alesis EQ did not...it kept switching itself of during soundcheck. Not really a big deal, as it wasn't much cop as an EQ anyway IMO.

Can't believe the price of the window, though: it's not like it's anything particularly special.

Once the window was broken, I still had to do a further hour and a half driving, so had the rear windows open as well to try and draw out some of the exhaust fumes...if I closed them I kept feeling lightheaded and sleepy.....moreso than normal on the M6.
    The drive home wasn't so bad: I now have a rear window made of Gaffer tape. I also have the rear aperture taped up as well...almost like double glazing.

Next challenge is finding all the glass: it's EVERYWHERE! Even in the CD player!

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Got a spare for borrowing if you want 1 ?

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

If this is for an estate Legnum/Galant rear window, I have one spare in my garden

Let me know if you want it. It has my old registration number etched in the glas, but its clean and intact and the heating elements all work fine (they did when it was removed).
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

'borrowing'?

Are these pretty easy to fit / remove, then? I've never done a window before, but it can only improve my popularity in the Turbo_Steve household today.

Name
    tommie
    Last Online
    26-09-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 1997

Easy to fit if you're familiar with applying a bead of the correct grade polyurethane sealer, that is of course after you have removed by knife the old (cured) sealer and treated the the metal area with windscreen sealer primer.
    Dont forget to clean the surface of the glass (where it meets the sealer) with glass cleaner, Not the household type.
    Then position the replacement glass and press into the sealer all the time maintaining an even gap all round the edge of the glass. The sealer should set in about 2 hours,and because its a rear window its not recommended to drive it for 24 hours.
    Pretty simple to do actually, but if I were you I'd leave it to the professionals.
    Oh one small matter, if you should try and do a cheap DIY job on it and use an inferior sealer, the first time you open a window the air pressure will blow out the rear window and you're back where you started.
    old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by stuey
    Aaaah - those things. They're super but ja... can see how one would easily puncture a rear window

Name
    Martin
    Last Online
    16-11-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR-4

Loose things in a car, become very dangerous missiles if you're in a crash. Always tie heavy things down very very well. Perhaps use the seatbelt too, if it will fit.
    Martin Yates

97 Legnum VR-4 , 02 Mazda 6 (wifey's)

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

I know this, and am normally very conscientious. There were exceptional circumstances surrounding this whole journey, not least the load, the nature of it's shipment, or the fact that I wasn't in a fit state to drive to Birmingham, let alone lift a 120kg multicore into the boot of the leggy on my own. In fact, as I ended the day with a visit A&E anyway, it could be said to be a bit of a disaster.

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

or the fact that I wasn't in a fit state to drive to Birmingham, let alone lift a 120kg multicore into the boot of the leggy on my own.
    we may end up reporting you to the local branch.....

www.rspcl.com

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Took me a while to get that joke...sorry! And yes, at the moment (i.e. until I'm employed again) the Legnum is starting to show some signs of neglect...poor thing.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

'borrowing'?

Are these pretty easy to fit / remove, then? I've never done a window before, but it can only improve my popularity in the Turbo_Steve household today.
    I mean't Loan of a Complete Tailgate

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now THAT is a good idea!

When can I collect?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast