Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BOV on car doesn't have vacuum hose fitted?

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    Now may also be the time to confirm that you have a standard ECU in there........
    This was a thought crossed my mind earlier today also

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Had a quick look this morning before I left for work, seems to be the standard ECU (can see the green plugs) but would need to pull it out to check the part number to confirm it's standard.

Talked to the local Mitsi dealer today, they said that it should be impossible for the car to run without the fuel pressure solenoid...getting them to check the MUT-II codes to see what is up. Not letting them touch the car though.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Don't see why it should be impossible: Could have an aftermarket adjustable reg on it, and just run lean when cold...or rich all the time! LOL

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Hmm, can't see an aftermarket FPR on it either. It's linked up to the throttle body for the vacuum feed so suspect the car is running rich all the time.

Have spoken to Kempy's (parts place) and they have the solenoids for $45 each, plus they will let me fiddle round with one of their spare engines so I can work out where the pipes are meant to go. Will see if I can get the parts for a lot cheaper though...

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Okay, the car is now back together properly

Got the parts for $80 and they printed out for me a few CAPS shots, plus let me take photos of what goes where.

The way the car was before, the FPR was running off the throttle body and tee'd into the wastegate common rail - so it was actually running off boost pressure. God knows how the boost was regulated, I couldn't see anything that could regulate it.

Now, the FPR is connected to the FP solenoid, then that is connected to the throttle body. Boost is tee'd into the plastic intake pipe where the red pipe is meant to go, and tied into the wastegate common rail. Other side of the solenoid is tied into the pipe that you block the hole off when putting in an EBC (vague I know). The other spare pipe is actually for the power steering, so I have extended it and connected it in... the other pipe coming from the intake goes to the other side of the power steering.

Still have to get a boost gauge, but the car is running a lot smoother and the exhaust fumes don't smell so rich anymore. Car seems to have lost a bit of power when hitting boost, but that could be my BOV not being adjusted. It is a lot smoother boosting however - not sure how to explain it, but it feels better than it did

Thanks for helping out guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12