ian
    Last Online
    14-10-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4 1997

Question ...

hey all, ive had my vr4 legnum for about a year now its done 190,000kms and when first got it i did an oil flush/change.
    i put in semi synth mobil s 10w40, ran all good then 3000kms later changed to 5w30 castrol edge synthetic which ran good also but my lifters seemed abit noisier, so another oil change 3000kms later to the current oil 5w40 shell helix ultra synthetic and some proma mbl8, running nice and quiet and smooth.. and just the other day noticed an oil stain on the garage floor, so i checked under the car and the eng oil sump is all coated in oil (not heaps but a few drips forming) so i took all the side covers off and cleaned all the oil off and took for a long drive and got under again with a torch and can see a small trail of oil running doen under the crank pulley, so i suspec the crank shaft seal is rooted now... i removed all the top covers to make sure it wasnt a rockercover gasket leak and nothing leaking up top....
    cambelt/waterpump was done when i first got the car everything was replaced but not camshaft/crank seals so i guess its tear down again and replace them.. now im worried that the synthetic has/is removing any sludge deposits from engine from over the years what if it causes rear main seals to leak, im thinking of changing back to semi-synth to maybe prevent this from happening or should i stick with the synth oil???
    Last edited by -=white-zombie=-; 29-04-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Or one of your turbos could be failing, and allowing pressure into the oil system, which will cause repeated failures of various seals: but crank seal is a common one.

Unfortunately, the cheapest way of finding this out is to change the crank oil seal....and if it goes again then it's a turbo.

Not sure how viscous 5W40 "ultra" synthetic is.....if it is too thin this can cause issues on a fluid bearing turbo like ours.

Name
    ian
    Last Online
    14-10-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4 1997

pretty sure 0w30 or 5w30 is whats recommended for vr4s so the 5w40 wont have a problem of being too thin... i am also thinking i should replace PCV valve can this pressurise crankcase if too old/ faulty?

Name
    Bernard
    Last Online
    23-04-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Nissan Skyline

I've heard of this happening when you change to a decent oil. The additives dissolve all the crud and gunge that was helping to maintain a seal, and it starts to leak...
    ----
    Dr McCuckoo - Avatar Victim Extraordinare.

The KieranCorp Secret Service continues to viciously abuse and falsely accuse this innocent paragon of virtue. The distress has been so great that he no longer can continue his selfless charitable work with homeless children and abused sheep.

The Kierancorp Secret service is interested in hearing from anyone who has red hair, likes wearing a spook uniform, and enjoys nocturnal barbecues. Funny handshake optional.

Name
    ian
    Last Online
    14-10-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4 1997

does anyone know if the oil pump seal goes on these motors? cars booked in to get seal replaced in a few days but might get oilpump seal done aswell if thats gone??

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

I've not seen it on here previously: and usually it's a sign of the turbos letting pressure into the oil system, so it might be worth getting them checked out whilst it's having the work done.

Name
    ian
    Last Online
    14-10-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4 1997

if the turbos were leaking pressure in the oil systen wouldnt they be smoking out exhaust aswell? is it just case of seal in turbo gone? mine dont smoke at all and doesnt use any oil, cars always been run at 7psi standard boost prefacelift tiptronic...

Name
    ian
    Last Online
    14-10-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum VR4 1997

got crank seal replaced and no more leaks now.. mechanics said the seal was hardened and good for nothing..
    Last edited by -=white-zombie=-; 29-04-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Last Online
    01-10-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    gallant v6 estate

im not a mechanic but i think mine is leaking from the same place
    is it a big job what is involved

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by chris1956
    im not a mechanic but i think mine is leaking from the same place
    is it a big job what is involved
    Not sure which way it works on the VR4 as I have not done it but it will involve the removal of either the gearbox or the engine to replace what will probably be a £3 seal

ETA: hmmmm would need one of the other VR4 owners to confirm but camskill are showing this crank shaft oil seal
    http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1399p9758

Which is on the cambelt side, so at a guess you will need this oil seal, new cambelt kit, if it hasnt been done, do the water pump aswell, so you would be looking at around £600 job or so, but thats only what I can gather from the information I already know