Thread: The Galant

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

The Hearse

if this is in the wrong section let me know so i can get ready for a beating

Its a bit of a long first post to this but alot has taken place

might as well make a start.
    im not gonna be doing much to this car as i like it the way it is.
    just gonna "inhance" a few bits here an there.

to start with on the "todo" list was get it taxed, done that.
    then get the gear box bearings changed, doing that on the 26th.
    also the cluch as well.

but in the mean time we took a little road trip to see "a man about a dog"
    and on the way out we decided, well when i say we i mean Garry decided to go for the little selection of audio stuff.
    also put some cash down towards the sports bumper,grill an skirts along with a few other bits.

like i said, not lot is gonna be visible changes, im going stealth with this one

so for now this is a few pics of what we have done todate:

what install? :lol:

more toys that arrived.....

then the clutch arrived with more wires.....

okies here ya go, the car is not quite 100% finished but its a bloody hell of a lot colser the what it was on friday....

okies its now monday, the work took place over the wekend after a very long an annoying wait friday night....

we "broke down" on the M4 at roughly 8.30pm on friday...
    and called the AA. they told us abou a 45 to 1 hour wait, not bad considering it was a friday night.
    well 2 hours later they turned up... only to take us to the nearest services....
    we had told them we are going to colechester, but the guy insisted on reading services.
    then when we got there he was like, " we will wait for controll room tocall an see what the plan is"
    so we waited.... and waited.... in the end he called up an they said dunno as the AA isnt answering...
    he sed well i can stop here an unload an they can wait for someone else or i can take them to south mimms were they can have a coffee
    an wait while there cr is loaded on to the back of another truck to take them the rest of the way.

he was told to wait an unload at reading services....
    it was a further 2hours from there before someone picked us up to take us the rest of the way.
    well thank god it was an ungoverend lorry that arrived!!
    70mph all the way got to Garrys dads place roughly around 3/3.30ish AM!!
    unloaded the car after we tucked it away in the garage.

About 4hours later we were all up an ready to start work on the car

on the first day we managed to lower the engine, take the gear box off a set to work.
    while garry played with the wireing for the pc

day 2 we finished off the car but we had a few problems.....

the bearngs that had to come off were bit stuck but brute force an swearing did the trick.
    then the air con pipe got split..... oh well not gonna miss it, but it just means more money to replace the main high pressure pipe....
    the slave cylinder is screwed, so on went a new one.
    crankshaft seal was split, so on went a new one.
    damper valve is spoungy for the cluch.. notta worry gonna bypass that.
    new powersteering pipe is on.
    nd the rad had sprung leak, so in went some rad weld.
    along with fresh oil an a new filter

then there was a problem with the pc.... the sound drivers didnt wanna work so gotta reintall windows.....

well in the end we are all happy with the results an left colechester about 9pm sunday night.
    bugger... 3 hour drive head with no music
    kai asleep in the back and garry out for the count by the time we hit the M25, lol
    an e struggling to keep my eyes open! oh what fun, but i did abuse the fact i had cruise controll.
    so i set it then sat back an let the car do the rest
    got home about 12

anyways here are some pics
    in no order.

*** continued on third post below ***
    Last edited by elnevio; 28-04-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Upload pictures from Photobucket to CVR4 - though limited to the 15 at the moment

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Nice stuff... I was really looking into a Car-PC until I bought my double din unit.

Loving the shots on the M4 at night. Super slow shutter speed
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

*** continued from first post ***

My fave pics, taken by the side of the M4 while we waited.

this is all that we took as most the time we were all very busy.

i was out playing with the car yesterday as i wanted to get to know the frontend system working in my car.

also i took the time to grab a few shots of the paintwork were the rain had started to "beed".
    god iv not see that effect on any of my cars for such a long time!!
    it was bloody good to see it again, i tell ya.

well i was gonna go play with it again today but Garry has taken it.....
    and left me slumming it with the prelude

*** end of first post continuation ***

heh, it was something iv wanted to do for ages, but didnt know how to go about it till i met garry.
    its got a bit more work to do to it before its 100% finihsed but its better then the tape deck i had lol.

as for them m4 shots..... 30second delay shutter an blancing it on the crash barrier,

oh an the paint isnt black... its more dark blue/purple/glittery with hints of green . is it a mitsubishi color?
    im wanting a respray soon but dont know what color one of the old owners had it done as the car was orignaly white.
    Last edited by elnevio; 28-04-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Too many pictures on first post - so moved them here!

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Hey, cracking work there - And you've just fixed the biggest weak point of the Manual V6 - the input shaft bearings! Now you've done that you're good to go as there's not much else that goes wrong with them!

Since you mention it, You posted in the right area - However, seeing as your thread uses a lot of 'linked' images, I've moved it so they appear. We prefer people to upload images as it means that they get backed up and stay there (whereas Imagebucket accounts can be suspended, etc), but I don't think that's really needed in this case.

And yes... Good to see a 'beading' bonnet shot there... Keep it that way or suffer the wrath of the Club Clean Police!

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

lol!!! oooh does this mean i get lil minions cleaning the car for me????

its just a bit of hard work atm with me not being 100% so i got littlen an the other half cleaning it for me an the stone chips put me off cleaning it
    then the odd colour wing mirror as my wonderfull peeps next door decided to smash it off after me returning there used fag ends which i found in my front garden to$$ers!
    still loads to do, got the tappits to do as they are nosiy but im not liking the prices
    cam belt to do in the next month and replace the air con pipe. might as well by-pass the damper on the slave cylinder as its spoungy.

yeah no probs, normaly what goes in to my photowhore account stays there...

oh yeah .... its not just the imput shaft bearing that got changed....
    it was ALL of them... just to be safe likes
    Last edited by mesobitchy; 01-10-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Try a good engine flush to quieten the lifters. It often works and it is a whole load cheaper!

Name
    K
    Last Online
    04-12-2011
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Das LuftwaftenW
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by mesobitchy
    .......then the odd colour wing mirror as my wonderfull peeps next door decided to smash it off after me returning there used fag ends which i found in my front garden to$$ers!......

Pfft! Did PC Plod have anything to say about this?!

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

the boys in blue....
    ya aving a larff mate, "im sory but unless you have some hard evedence there is nothing we can do."

*vents some steam*

its okies tho, i got my own back on the buggers

were i live is owned by housing assoation, so a quick call to them......
    might have had sommat to do with the pics i took....
    and guess whos gona all quite, not a single peep from them.
    woooo party!!! no more shanty town in the back garden, no more smoke me outta m home BBQs, no more drunken late night partys, no more rubbish in any of my gardens an no more loud music to god know what time!

an back to the car....
    yup done the flush an fresh oil an filter. i guess it is just one of them things thats on the "to do" list.....

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

that looks like fun .

I have a soft spot for the V6-24's being the owner of one

When youve done the interior and got the system how you want are you going to tackle the outside?

If you want to look at pics of a V6-24 with facelifted front end look in my Garage .

Oh and if you want any help getting your paintwork sorted... feel free to shout.
    '07 Satin Black Shogun (Running), '98 Black Legnum VR4 Super (In Storage), '01 2.0 Silver Manual Galant Estate (Daily Driver), '98 Silver Colt (Dead), '97 Trigger Mauve Legnum VR4 Shell (Doner for Super)

Also in the family: '07 Mini Cooper, '05 2.0 Lancer Sport Estate

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

got the face lift bumper,grill an skirts on the way, they be in silver tho, same as the wing mirror.
    im sticking to the 15s as its cheaper to rubber, gonna try and go for the sports bonnet as well. as sadly the owner before me had a slight encounter of the coras kind, not much damage, just bonnet and wing, to crack and rust an also ever so slighty push the bonnet back, not found a rear i like yet.
    lower the nose for the more meaner look. not sure if i want to put a cone filter on to "inhance" the roar, also not sure if i wanna put an after maket back box on, sound nice but having done all the out landish body styling with this little number.......

(sorry had to get her in somehow and yes i still got her on the drive. a shaddow of her former self )

im sorta over it an wanna go stealth

and yes, hell yes im wanting help on the paint, it looks like a right dog atm
    an any hints on how to remove bike oil from the very clever idea of a cream carpit boot more then welcome...
    i mean who the hell thought it was a good idea to put cream carpits in a family car?!
    Last edited by elnevio; 28-04-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Upload pictures from Photobucket to CVR4

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by mesobitchy
    and yes, hell yes im wanting help on the paint, it looks like a right dog atm
    an any hints on how to remove bike oil from the very clever idea of a cream carpit boot more then welcome...
    i mean who the hell thought it was a good idea to put cream carpits in a family car?!

If you go to www.detailingworld.co.uk and there is an interior section. If you do some searching you should find some tips and hints.

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Kieran's comment about uploaded images is extremely valid. Many employers, like mine, block the linked images so I have no idea what your car looks like...and from what I've read I'd love to see it.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee
    Kieran's comment about uploaded images is extremely valid. Many employers, like mine, block the linked images so I have no idea what your car looks like...and from what I've read I'd love to see it.
    thanks
    there is talk about driving it to italy next yeah when i go back there.(no i dont live ther but i do have family there) an i sorry, we might take a detour to germany.... only for one reasion mind you
    also with a bit of luck, next year we will also be attending some shows, this year we have had to give it a miss due to not having, A: either a working car to go in, or B: a car that works that was big enough to fit all the camping stuff plus all 3 of us!

but i think the galant has solved these problems on lack of space

Quote Originally Posted by AncientOfMu
    If you go to www.detailingworld.co.uk and there is an interior section. If you do some searching you should find some tips and hints.
    as long as there be no piccys to look at....
    i think that will kill my mobile dongle thing....

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

update

got the windscren fixed a few days back, had a nice little stone chip right in y eye line! and....
    The car is booked in for an all belts changed on november 1st

will let ya know how it goes

so im gonna be driving up to colchester on the 31st i might get spotted but then again..
    bugger i wanted the green lights fitted for halloween
    next year...
    along with the curtins, lol!

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

New toys!

collected tonight the sports front bumper and grill, side skirts, head lights,
    nardi steering wheel and boot cover

im one happy bunny
    pics to follow shortley.... like over the weekend shortly if i remember

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

jus a lil update for ya all......
    got a call last night to say eveything was going well
    but im gonna need a new rad as my brand new top pipe had collapsed again an the rad sprung another leak ..... bugger.
    but the new belts were in place along with the new tensioner
    no need for a new water pump.
    new-ish back wiper blade on, woo i can see outta the back window now!
    an all the windows, inside and out have been cleaned
    had 2 guys, farther and son, in the back rubbing some off..... oil stains off!
    so now the boot is all oil free an clean, and the trim fits perfect again

bad news:
    BLOODY MITSUBISH!
    went to order that A/C pipe for £12, turns out its the wong pipe!
    yet myself, confused AND two greece monkies all agreed that the pipe we needed was the one we all pointed out on the dirgram!
    turns out thats not the case,
    so we found out what one it is an ordered that instead, bit annoyed as it ment its now in an we cant pick up till thursday, also means this weekend would have been perfct since that side of the engine was hanging out!
    but now we gotta wait, but least we now have the right pipe.

back to good news
    the nardi steering wheel is fitted with the cruise controll fitted to the wheel.
    boot cover is in place an the kit for the HIDs are on there way

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

another update.
    mitsubish cant seem to find there heads from there arses!
    they ordered another pipe after there first attempt, but this time with out the 90degree bend....
    told me i have to do it myself! WTF?! im not paying £51 + VAT to bend a bloody pipe myself!
    going back thursday to have some words.

new rad needs to be ordered as mine sprung another leak....
    but some good news, i got new jap plates on the car now!
    god they make a differance

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

PICS

need more update pics.

sounds like its all going to plan

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

ahh yeah pics, not much im affraid,
    for now its just the goodies, bumper, grill an skirts.
    i get some more once i get the car back, its gone off to london today an wont be back till tomorrow evening.
    oh an theres a short vid of an
    "old man rubbing one out in the back of a car!"
    i will add this later.....

pics for now:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

i know im missing the middle bit off the bottom of the bumper, but we got plans for that, gonna keep it but smooth it off with filler
    just to give it shape.

went to see about matching paint,
    came across some problems,
    1, only do solvent based paint in a rattle can an costs £11 a 400ml can, but it can be spot on match
    2, for the gun its only water based an harder to color match but cheaper, = cheap paint, crap finish

so im gonna go rattle can just to cover the bumper an skirts for now,
    then when we come to do the entire car were gonna choose another color.
    totly gutted cos found out we had the fine mist metllic with pearl essence.
    sooo soooooo annoyed that they cant sell the matched color for the gun, big thanks to the bloody goverment an there "go green" ideas.
    there goes the high quility paint finishes for cars!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast