Paul
    Last Online
    09-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 - S

Carlube ATF

Carlube ATF-U. SPIII compliant. £23.78 for 4.55 litres. Any comments on this stuff?
    Too much is just enough.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

probably not an ATF that anyone else has tried. As its SPIII compliant it should be fine.

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

Most people use Amsoil ATF as it exceeds the SPIII spec......... although it is more expnsive you can use longer service intervals and more peace of mind.......... Not sure I have heard any one use that on here.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Can only echo the above comments - Amsoil ATF far exceeds the SP-III spec, and I'm not aware of anyone trying the Carlube stuff. But as it's SP-III compliant, it should do the job wherever SP-II or SP-III are specified.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    09-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 - S

According to the Carlube website they only introduced it July this year. unusual to find an SP III ATF, especially at just over £5 a litre. Will buy some on monday.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

I remembered something iffy about GM Dextron III

Amsoil ATF (Fully Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid) - This is the *ONLY* transmission fluid that meets the Diamond SP-II and SP-III fluid standard. Dexron III is *NOT* a satisfactory alternative.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...msoil-Discount!!
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    09-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 - S

says SP III on the can. Seems ok so far.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Interesting to note - works out at slightly cheaper per litre than a 20 litre drum of Mitsubishi SP-III.

Will have to find the price of a 25 litre drum, see if it's cheaper in that size than in a 4.55 litre

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    06-12-2020
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galaxy
    My Garage
    Visit

If its SPIII then all will be well. As with Mitzi's own you must make the choice of whether its for you or not as at that price its not going to be a top of the range ful synthetic. Does this actually matter? Not to start with no, but as with all things in life you get what you pay for. The cheaper products will degrade quickly and drop outside spec surprisingly quickly, but then again not too much of a shock as quality costs money and carlube are in the business of selling quantity cheaply. This necessitates making a product as cheaply as possible to just meet the standard, any more looses profit. Then with no margin and degradation drops you below the spc and in need of a further change adding to their profits. Good business if you are happy to operate that way. Now if you are selling the car I can see the sense, if you are keeping it the cheaper product will actually cost you more with more work or further costs in the additional changes + the hidden , risks of wear and damage; for lets face it few owners change their ATF before it needs it, its often when a problem is noticed and that means slipping and the internal wear that comes with it.
    As is normal its your car and your choice but at the price why not use Mitzis own, you will at least know where you are.
    If you have a problem with getting Amsoil just contact me on 07949 944523 email don@performanceoilsltd.co.uk or web at http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/
    AMSOIL 'The First in Synthetics'