Last Online
    07-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    dull A6 now :(

Question Gear shifter not shifting

Help please, i've broken my car!

My auto gear lever has stuck in park and the button won't depress so i can't move the lever.
    My gear lever was all chewed up by the previous owner's dog, it wasn't too bad but i was on the look out for a replacemnt.
    A friend of mine told me there was an auto galant in a local scrappie so i went past to look and found an R plate V6-24 saloon with an auto box.
    I took it off without any problem's. There were 2 grub screws on the back of the lever and it just screwed off once these were loose.
    Unfortunately i assumed that my car's gear lever would come off the same way.
    When it was a bit stiff of course i went straight indoors to search on here for instructions on how to remove the gear lever....NO, that would have been sensible, me , being an idiot just used more force than was necessary and unscrewed the lever (wrecking the threads on the rod inside in the process)until the button popped off and now i can't get it back together.
    The white nylon rod which the button should move is stuck in the up position.
    I had hoped that someone had managed this incredible feat of foolishness before and searched the forums but it seems i'm the only one.

any suggestions?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

A deep socket (Can't remember the size - 10mm?) will release the bolt that the nylon rod comes up through. The gear lever will then come off. I've no idea what is broken, though, but that should help you work it out.

Name
    colin
    Last Online
    07-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car

Aye, cheers Nick but the bolt is off already.
    I've actually now stripped the whole centre console out so i can see what goes on under the selector plate (if that's what it's called).
    The gear knob, button, nut and spring (with rubber attached) are on the passenger seat and all that's in the centre is the metal sleeve with the nylon rod, and the nylon rod is stuck.
    I had considered giving it a technical tap as i can see what it should move further down but thought i'd probably done eough damage already.

Name
    colin
    Last Online
    07-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car

Just to clarify, here's a picture of the centre console as it sits now.
    the nylon rod and the sliding pin at the base of the shaft are indicated by arrows.
    would it be ok to try to move this sliding pin using 'gentle' pressure?

Name
    colin
    Last Online
    07-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car

Right, i've been out fiddling about trying to see if anything moves but no luck so far.
    I've taken a couple of photos, poor quality phone ones i'm afraid but you should get the idea from them.

There's no give in any of the points 1, 2 or 3 (#3 is located in the plastic groove and is the other end of the small rod#1) these points along with #2 are holding the gear stick shaft solid.
    #4 is what the brake pedal activates to allow changes (this works).
    The rod from 1-3 must have to move down the shaft when you push the gear knob button onto the central nylon rod, but there is no give in either rod when i try to push them down.

Does anyone know what i've broken/dislodged, anything there look out of place?

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Just need to check the obvious here:

You have the key in the ignition, in the on position, and your foot on the brake, before trying to depress the button (well, rod)?
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

LOL i hope it is that, i have done that before when the car isnt running.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

um another common stupid fault is check the selector unit bolting onto the auto box.. sometimes this can become loose or somehting can obstruct the area needed wich then causes it to feel seized maby,also if you have fiddled with the steering theres a weight held in the barrel area connected to a cable,maby that has shifted somehow causing it to lock again,and so forth for the cable attached to the break pedal,i remove all and most of these pins as when working on the cars its a pain having to jump in al lthe time to flick the egnition

Name
    colin
    Last Online
    07-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio
    Just need to check the obvious here:

You have the key in the ignition, in the on position, and your foot on the brake, before trying to depress the button (well, rod)?
    ha ha, yeah, i've tried it with ignition off, on and with engine running. no joy.

Name
    colin
    Last Online
    07-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car

bump

Don't suppose anyone else has any ideas, do they?

I'm away offshore tomorrow for a fortnight.
    Might have to book it in to the stealership for when i get back, the bill for the pick up alone is going to be nasty.

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

If the centre part is twisted it will be jammed Colin and even with a tap it might not go down or it will not return to the normal position. That may make it very easy to knock into reverse or park with disasterous results. I would pm Wodjno to see if he has a spare shifter mechanisim.

Name
    colin
    Last Online
    07-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by peter thomson
    If the centre part is twisted it will be jammed Colin and even with a tap it might not go down or it will not return to the normal position. That may make it very easy to knock into reverse or park with disasterous results. I would pm Wodjno to see if he has a spare shifter mechanisim.
    Oh, not great news.
    I've sent a pm to Wodjno.
    I can be sure there won't be a problem with knocking it into park or reverse etc.
    It's stuck in park so i'm going nowhere, at least it's safe.

Name
    colin
    Last Online
    07-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car

Right i got it sorted, actually i did it a quite while ago but was waiting till i found my camera to put up the photos, the camera on my phone is about as good as no camera at all.

I'm well chuffed with the crome look finish and it was a really easy job to remove and replace the entire selector unit.

Name
    Keith
    Last Online
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    FL Legnum VR4

Glad to hear you got it fixed Colin. Looking good too.