Jonathan
    Last Online
    25-05-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum VR4

Intercooler kits

hey all, i was wondering if anyone has used the kits that are on trademe in nz at the moment? im looking into getting one but if its crap theres no point. i have a full custom setup for my drag legnum but want one for my daily run about.

Heres a link to the kit:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=260465849

Name
    peter
    Last Online
    05-01-2022
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Jeep SRT8

Some of those kits have a bad rep. Gly bought one and had to do a lot of work to make it fit

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

I don't know which kit Carsten had issues with, but there is also this kit:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-260230708.htm

That one only includes the hard pipes to the intercooler though, not the pipes from the turbos.

Name
    Jonathan
    Last Online
    25-05-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by wintertidenz
    I don't know which kit Carsten had issues with, but there is also this kit:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-260230708.htm

That one only includes the hard pipes to the intercooler though, not the pipes from the turbos.
    Do you know if this one is any good??

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

No idea, it's a Greddy copy though so it might be a good fit.

Carsten will be able to confirm which kit he got.

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

The streetbitz one is a pile of crap. The luxury sports one has a better rep I beleive.
    If I'm replying to your thread and helping you out, it is because I like you and want to help out your VR-4 ownership. No other reason

Name
    ken
    Last Online
    04-08-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnum vr4

what about the kit thats on ebay now its up for £200.00 ?

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

dont touch Luxury Sports or DSR(drift side racing) kits they DONT fit!!!!!!!
    i am yet to try street bitz tho!! other than that i think custom is the olny way except for Greddy as mentioned but i think its 1800 all up for a Greddy system tho.. and theyr not all hard pipes either what im told.

im making my own kit up soon when the vr4 is ready but tht wont be for some time tho...

Name
    Jonathan
    Last Online
    25-05-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum VR4

ive got a custom one on my other legnum, but was trying to keep away from getting it custom made again as it cost me $1500

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Q - whereabouts is the fitting issue with the Luxury Sports one? Apparently they are Greddy copies so they should fit fine.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

any mass produced item WILL not be a direct bolt on after say 20 copies+ as the heat from the jig will cause it to warp over time thus pulling the alignment out.
    the issue with Luxurysports aswell as DSR is the front turbo downpipe is a squashed sum what type of pipe wich is not even positioned rite thus causing it to not bolt up or seal on the turbo housing,i had to use 3 Factory rubber seals to pack it up just to try seal it bt still had problems,the next issue was the bolt mounting holes on ALL the kits NEVER line up and cant be used,thus leaving your kit free balln' and can move super heaps...
    then the FMIC Piework is over bent or under bent or bent on the wrong angles making it hard to meet up with the FMIC,so either way they are BOTH CRAPSY!!!!!!! IMO but im sure others will agree,i think i have 1 old set left wich i can show ou the wear marks on the block an the pipework

Name
    Jonathan
    Last Online
    25-05-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by VR4WGN
    any mass produced item WILL not be a direct bolt on after say 20 copies+ as the heat from the jig will cause it to warp over time thus pulling the alignment out.
    the issue with Luxurysports aswell as DSR is the front turbo downpipe is a squashed sum what type of pipe wich is not even positioned rite thus causing it to not bolt up or seal on the turbo housing,i had to use 3 Factory rubber seals to pack it up just to try seal it bt still had problems,the next issue was the bolt mounting holes on ALL the kits NEVER line up and cant be used,thus leaving your kit free balln' and can move super heaps...
    then the FMIC Piework is over bent or under bent or bent on the wrong angles making it hard to meet up with the FMIC,so either way they are BOTH CRAPSY!!!!!!! IMO but im sure others will agree,i think i have 1 old set left wich i can show ou the wear marks on the block an the pipework
    That one looked cheap and tacky, also the fact that they couldnt match the proper i\c inlet size to the piping says it all i suppose. hey did you get my pm looking for a silver rear bumper??

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

The Luxury Sports kit is only the intercooler and pipes from the Y bend of the turbos and up near the intake, not the entire system?

Link: http://www.luxurysports.co.nz/produc...4&ProductId=55

Name
    Jonathan
    Last Online
    25-05-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    legnum VR4

The Luxury Sports kit is only the intercooler and pipes from the Y bend of the turbos and up near the intake, not the entire system?

The streetbitz 1 was the one i thawt looked cheap and tacky

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

thats because after a number of complaints they pulled the complete kit! i ththink i got the last 1 theyd ever sold tbh

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

Quote Originally Posted by thump3rvr4
    That one looked cheap and tacky, also the fact that they couldnt match the proper i\c inlet size to the piping says it all i suppose. hey did you get my pm looking for a silver rear bumper??

yea i did um colour coded is not a selection available sorry,youll need to get it resprayed....

why do people think they can buy a silver bumper and itll bethe same? you know how many variants there are and aswell the age of paint determans the colour really? ll.. even the Trademe people try ask for a colour coded replacemetn but dont get it lol

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Q - so you are saying that the kit they sell now is not the one you were saying doesn't fit? Do you have any experiences with the one that they now sell?

As for the colour coding, if the colour is close enough (eg. paint code is the same but it's a bit more faded) then most people would be happy... respraying is pretty damn expensive, and usually not worth it. I've had stuff resprayed to the same paint code before and it didn't match the rest of the car's paint job, so in the end it was a waste of time and money.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

some people like things looking good,not half arsed! as for not matching,how bout you take a walk to your local car dealer and geez at a NEW car,look at the rear panel then look at the bumper by the rear panel and if you cant see the colour difference then your blind,this is because plastic and steel have different properties and will always differ BUT a used bumper on a good paint job will look just plain silly! anyhow i dont offer a colour option when purchasing,you get what you ask for (a bumper)not a pink or white bumper..

as for the kits,there are no new or old kits rite? theyr all still the same kits,but these would just be the lower half only tho,not the tops.

well enough on the FMIC from me,the thread speaks for itself regarding cheap branded items and the DONT FIT..

not the 1st time this week that the word cheap parts ring a bell to me lol... i wont skimp on price anymore i think!

atleast im guaranteed a good working item then..

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Name
    ken
    Last Online
    04-08-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    legnum vr4

im hoping to get me bonnet soon so once i get that on im wanting a intercooler and all the hard pipes but dont want to pay silly prices . o and i have noticed that on some engines the dump valve is on top ov the engine but mine is under the car how do i change it round or cant i ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast