Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

CVR4 track days

Ok, this is probably in the wrong place but I didnt want to fill up the UK Meets section anymore than it already is... I'm already running a risk of Nev's shiny stick of the ban variety! I placed it here so that I can reach the admin people and keep the riff-raff out until the right time

I was wondering how feasible it would be to run a trackday at a circuit somewhere just for us CVR4 people? Obviously there is a cost involved to hire the track and to be honest I have no idea if £1,000 or £10,000 is reasonable for a track hire.

Cost split between people tracking their cars. Can we get in with one of the usual track day suppliers somewhere to book out a few hours of the track just for us?

I went to a triple club track day at Silverstone last year with Bern and it was enjoyable albeit surrounded by Evos, Imprezas and Skylines!

I trust our guys to play safe on track and would feel comfortable going on track with friendly faces around and a general CVR4 atmosphere rather than the usual MLR type behaviour.

I know I've hit the track-bug and am thinking Mike and Don have too. And if we were able to take over a track for a few hours a whole host of our usual suspects and anyone else interested could join in too. I mean, we had 20 or so VR4s on track at Japfest, I'm sure we could get at least 20 or so cars again for some action.

How about something like a club picnic/barbecue with an afternoon of track somewhere sound? Evening entertainment too if people feel like it.

I know this is a big ask and would be a massive undertaking to organise, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Ok, you can me now...
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

I love tracking a VR4 (now I have one that works properly and is set up well).

HOWEVER.

Spending £60 for a couple of track sessions is all well and good.

A track Day itself is a whole other ballgame.

Tyres, Brakes, wear and tear etc etc. It would get very expensive very quickly I feel.

Just my opinion.
    '07 Satin Black Shogun (Running), '98 Black Legnum VR4 Super (In Storage), '01 2.0 Silver Manual Galant Estate (Daily Driver), '98 Silver Colt (Dead), '97 Trigger Mauve Legnum VR4 Shell (Doner for Super)

Also in the family: '07 Mini Cooper, '05 2.0 Lancer Sport Estate

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

I know it could get costly, which is why I'm just asking to see how feasible something like this would be.

My simple man-maths are thinking, if it costs £1000 per hour to hire a track, thats £100 each if we get 10 people. Realistically we wont be on track for the full 60minutes, I know, but in that, two twenty minute sessions should be doable? If we get more people, the cost gets split even more. If we take the track for two hours, then we can do three or four short sessions.

Its not a suggestion I'm putting forward, I just wanted to see if it was feasible and if the club as a whole would want to do something like this. To be honest, the short 15/20 minute runs at JApfest and Trax and the like are more than enough for me, but they still pose the risk of silly twats in Imprezas spinning off ruining the fun. The CVR4 crowd, I trust a hell of a lot more and would feel secure knowing that there are likeminded people out there with me instead of the usual ar5es you get at car shows.

Name
    Don
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '07 Shogun LWB
    My Garage
    Visit

It is to be fair a very good idea.

but I'm completely unsure of the logistics.

Should certainly be something the committee looks into.

I dont even know if you can hire a track by the hour....

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

BookaTrack can do dedicated trackdays but the cost probably depends on the track, weekday or weekend and sessions or open pit lane...

Getting a session or three (an hour) will probably not be available - I think we would need to have booked a full day...

If we shared with MLR for a club day, took half the spaces available, we could have a way forward for an MLR/CVR4 trackday...

Name
    Heath
    Last Online
    11-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    Supra TT/Panzer

I've seen so many car clubs try and organise this sort of thing and it rarely gets off the ground ...............

Rather than get bogged down with the admin/insurance/cash collection issues, why not just get together and do a block booking on an organised day?

I know you all like the idea of a VR4 only track day, but I'd be very (pleasantly, btw) surprised if you don't have to bring in other cars to make up the numbers, so why not just join in with someone elses?

The MLR run some good days, which are reasonabaly priced ........

I don't think anyone will hire you a track by the hour and they are very expensive, especially at weekends. Although if you really do want to do it, Llandow seems the track of choice for car clubs - purely 'cos its reasonably priced. The Supra guys went there last year and are returning again in June. It does have a reputation for tyre wear though ...............

Just my 50p worth

J

Name
    tommie
    Last Online
    26-09-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 1997

Jane has the right idea, but whatever you decide to do atik, consider me a definite.
    old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Name
    Wayne
    Last Online
    23-11-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo VI TME

I know when we asked before Castle Combe was about £5000 for one day.
    1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning
    I know when we asked before Castle Combe was about £5000 for one day.
    That was going back several years too, when UJCC ran a couple of their own days.....but even they dropped it as people let them down.....it was the usual "yes I will do it" until it came to coughing up the money ! The last one they run the guy who organised it had to payout over £1000 from his own pocket !

Others have hit the nail on the head so to speak. It would either have to be a joint venture with another club(s) or all try to book a particular session with the likes of Bookatrack. We will never get enough people solely from CVR4. What you need though is an open pit lane so people can drive and learn at their own pace.

However, there may be an alternative.....again it has been mentioned before. This is a airfield day. If you have time to look into it Atik you may find this would be cheaper and could be good fun to push the VR4 to it's limits, around say a coned course, in a safe enviroment.

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit
    However, there may be an alternative.....again it has been mentioned before. This is a airfield day. If you have time to look into it Atik you may find this would be cheaper and could be good fun to push the VR4 to it's limits, around say a coned course, in a safe enviroment.
    Elvington.. York.
    Nothing to hit, so you can play to you're hearts content !!

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by SGHOM
    Elvington.. York.
    Nothing to hit, so you can play to you're hearts content !!
    There are also several around the Wiltshire area IIRC

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

bleak place Elvington! i was on the 1/4 there once in the GTO in a Blizzard!
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Quote Originally Posted by miller
    bleak place Elvington! i was on the 1/4 there once in the GTO in a Blizzard!
    We normally try to avoid February !!

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Just as a starting point, I have spoken to someone at Castle Combe and will get an email tomorrow with pricing. They don't have prices for half days as they don't normally do them, but of course they would be silly to turn away any business at the moment so they may be able to work out a "deal" if we took things forward.

They allow a maximum of 12 cars at a time on the track, but no restriction on the number of cars at the event. So with an open pitlane format you just wait in the paddock until there is a slot on the track.

Will update once I get the email......at least it will give an idea of costs involved.

Edit: I have also left my details with a lady at Javelin trackdays to see what the cheapest options are.....again will feed back any news as and when
    Last edited by Spirit; 21-05-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Name
    Jake
    Last Online
    22-07-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant VR4

May I suggest having a word with the guys over at bigpower.co.uk. I used to be a member, they have an arrangement with snetterton as they have a monthly meet there. They also do a fair few track days there too and get very good rates (the last one I did was £100 all day open pit with a pitlane garage included). I love snetterton, it is a great circuit to cut yor teeth on (I clocked 110mph through the bombhole in a blizzard ). The big power guys have a mixture of cars from integras to 911GT3's and, are very good and safe drivers

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    07-08-2015
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-5 Estate

IIRC Cadwell Park cost £3000 when we went in February. That was a Monday. The in-charge bloke implied that was their weekday cost, I didn't ask if it increased for the summer.

It's a little to the North for alot of members, but it's a brilliant track and very VR-4 friendly I thought. For that money too the cafe was open serving pretty decent grub at lunch time.
    The best things in life have to be lubricated

Name
    Brian
    Last Online
    24-10-2012
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, S60R, GT-R

Friend booked Knockhill recently for a company track night - £1800 for 2 hours including the use of an instructor for the evening. Price includes briefing, free hire of helmets, all marshals, etc. Restaurant open too. 16 of us went, cost £116 each but, although the track is only 1.3 miles, it felt empty most of the time. They would take up to 50 on a track night for the same money.
    S60R | GT-R

artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

count me in where ever it is

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Good feedback and suggestions guys, thanks.

I suppose for £5000 for Combe (at the old price), we'd need 50 people to get it down to £100 each, which therefore means opening it to other clubs as I doubt we'd get 50 from CVR4. Thats the sort of cost idea I wanted to understand.
    Pete, if Combe did do a half day for a reduced price that would be fantasctic. Looking forward to a response.

Also, what Roadrunner posted is interesting. A 2hr hire of the track for £1800 for 20 VR4s would cost £90 each. Thats is also the kind of info I was looking for.

If we could get a track for a couple of hours, that would give people enough time to take three or four 15-20 minutes sessions in the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast