Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

V6 Mpg

All of this week I've had to go back and forth to take some at exams at Loughborough uni totalling 562 miles, so I thought it would be a good chance to check my fuel usage. Taking into consideration the rubbish stretch of M1 I had to put up with between junction 24 to 27, negotiating around the university and in and out of Loughborough and Chesterfield, I ended up using 61.96 litres. This gives an mpg of 41.23 mpg! Not bad for a big car with the aircon on full blast.
    Mitsubishi? They made the planes that bombed Pearl Harbor! I ain't sellin' Hitler's canoe to no traitor! Hop on your sushi-boat and git!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    02-09-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant VR4 Legn

Blimey thats pretty good. sure I never got that on my V6 Mondeo
    Nick

Last Online
    11-10-2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant Estate V6

I get about 350 - 400 miles from a tank on mine. I was quite pleased

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

It did pretty similar MPG on a long trip from Chesterfield to Exeter last year, I was pleasantly suprised with both results considering I wasn't driving like a granny either time. However around town I only get mid to high 20s.

Name
    martin
    Last Online
    01-05-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    merc e280 cdi

My old v6 24 used to do about the same on a run, very frugal. Cant remember it doing much more than the leggie round town though. Perhaps thats because Sheffield is a permanent traffic jam. Wonderful engine the v6 in any form. stan

Last Online
    15-06-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    BMW E30

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Cashed
    All of this week I've had to go back and forth to take some at exams at Loughborough uni totalling 562 miles, so I thought it would be a good chance to check my fuel usage. Taking into consideration the rubbish stretch of M1 I had to put up with between junction 24 to 27, negotiating around the university and in and out of Loughborough and Chesterfield, I ended up using 61.96 litres. This gives an mpg of 41.23 mpg! Not bad for a big car with the aircon on full blast.
    That must be a manual V6, how bad would a V6 auto be?
    I've been looking for a 2.0 auto for a bit now, but cant find a good one, there seems to be a lot more V6 autos for sale, is that because they are expensive to run

Name
    Doug
    Last Online
    03-10-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2.5 V6 Estate
    My Garage
    Visit

That mpg is good for a V6.

My GDI comes in around 38-39 mpg (fully loaded + aircon), but it is an auto. 40+ mpg might be possible if I used the cruise control (which I hate).

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    30-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI

Quote Originally Posted by sidsilver
    That must be a manual V6, how bad would a V6 auto be?
    I've been looking for a 2.0 auto for a bit now, but cant find a good one, there seems to be a lot more V6 autos for sale, is that because they are expensive to run
    Yeah it's a manual but I'm not sure how much difference it would have made if it was an auto, I think somone mentioned the auto has a higher top gear?

Btw no cruise control on my car, other than my right foot.

Name
    martin
    Last Online
    01-05-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    merc e280 cdi

My v624 was a manual with factory cruise, really miss that especially on a long run.

Last Online
    15-06-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    BMW E30

Quote Originally Posted by Rambaud
    That mpg is good for a V6.

My GDI comes in around 38-39 mpg (fully loaded + aircon), but it is an auto. 40+ mpg might be possible if I used the cruise control (which I hate).
    I've been looking at a few GDI models, but some on here say they aren't as good as the GLS or the V6-24, how do you rate yours?

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

i've just done a good long run in my gdi, and i have to say it was completely hopeless, i know from experience that my v6 auto would have done 35+ on that run which was 90% motorway, and it would have been a damn sight more relaxing.

the gdi struggled to do 30 mpg and i was having to use 3rd on the motorway to get up a bit on a hill

the v6 auto used to do 30mpg whilst towing, and it was less work for me driving.

I have to say the gdi unit is a complete sack of sh1te, and anybody thinking of getting one is nuts. get a v6 they are easier to drive, use less fuel, go a shed load better, and sound the tits when they have to do some work 8)

Name
    Doug
    Last Online
    03-10-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2.5 V6 Estate
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by psbarham
    i've just done a good long run in my gdi, and i have to say it was completely hopeless, i know from experience that my v6 auto would have done 35+ on that run which was 90% motorway, and it would have been a damn sight more relaxing.

the gdi struggled to do 30 mpg and i was having to use 3rd on the motorway to get up a bit on a hill

the v6 auto used to do 30mpg whilst towing, and it was less work for me driving.

I have to say the gdi unit is a complete sack of sh1te, and anybody thinking of getting one is nuts. get a v6 they are easier to drive, use less fuel, go a shed load better, and sound the tits when they have to do some work 8)
    I fear your GDI might need a de-coke? Has it been serviced recently - plugs, filters etc)? Mine regularily returns nearer to 40 m.p.g. on a long motorway run.

Are you using super-unleaded petrol? I tend to use only V-Power these days (although the 5p discounts for Tesco 99 have tempted me away on several occasions).

I struggle to get BELOW 30 m.p.g. - although driving at 5000 rpm for a few miles in 2nd gear does help.

I have no problem at travelling at 100+ m.p.h. (where permitted) fully loaded + aircon.

Not saying the 2.4 GDI is better than the the 2.5 V6, merely that it is not all doom & gloom.

Name
    Doug
    Last Online
    03-10-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2.5 V6 Estate
    My Garage
    Visit

I've been looking at a few GDI models, but some on here say they aren't as good as the GLS or the V6-24, how do you rate yours?
    I have not driven the V6 so I am unable to compare the two of them personally.

I bought the GDI over the V6 because it was a more "interesting" engine and about £500 cheaper at the time (2 years ago).

It was only meant to be a stop-gap for a few months before buying a VR-4. However, my work and family circumstances changed and I found myself driving nearer 20,000 miles per year than the 5,000 originally envisaged. Running a VR-4 at nearer 20-25 m.p.g. would have been too expensive.

I like the Tiptronic gearbox and would not return to a manual. I have had a few BMWs (7 in total) and Audis (also 7 in total), and Mitsi gearbox is as good as them - with the exception of the DSG in my Audi TTV6.

From what I can gather, the V6 revs a lot more freely than the GDi - mine certainly sounds coarser above 4000 r.p.m.

I like my GDI, but I seem to have been fortunate in that the first owner did nearly 80,000 miles in 3 years, so reducing the coking-up which can effect the GDI engine - especially if not running it on super-unleaded petrol (the higher RON the better).

Last Online
    15-06-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    BMW E30

With reading alot of posts on here I think I'm going to be tempted with a V6, there is alot more for sale at the moment and I think I would realy miss the 6 cyl noise if i went for a 4 cyl after owning loads of 6 cyl beemers, plus the mpg isn't that much different between the 2.0 & V6.

Name
    Doug
    Last Online
    03-10-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2.5 V6 Estate
    My Garage
    Visit

With reading alot of posts on here I think I'm going to be tempted with a V6, there is alot more for sale at the moment and I think I would realy miss the 6 cyl noise if i went for a 4 cyl after owning loads of 6 cyl beemers, plus the mpg isn't that much different between the 2.0 & V6.
    All my BMWs had the in-line 6cyl engine (except one), and, fuel economy aside, were much nicer to drive at anything above 2000 rpm compared to my 2.4 GDI.

Unless fuel consumption is of vital importance, I would agree with you and go for a V6.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

I've had no hassles with fuel economy on my V6 - having had a 2.0 Galant before I was expecting poorer MPG on a V6 that what I'd been use to, but I haven't noticed much of a difference between the two.

I mainly do 'local' miles with not much motorway miles - but the consumption is so, so, tiny I haven't noticed a thing - expect that V6 roar ! Mmmmmmmm !

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I use the V6 daily to go to/from work - a ~70 mile round trip, with about 20 miles of that town/roundabout driving.

Works out on average around 35mpg.

Why bother with a dirty diesel, when I'd not get that much more MPG, I'd pay more for the fuel, and it'd be another car to run on top of the Galant!

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    19-08-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    F/L Manual legn

Quote Originally Posted by Rambaud
    I fear your GDI might need a de-coke? Has it been serviced recently - plugs, filters etc)? Mine regularily returns nearer to 40 m.p.g. on a long motorway run.

Are you using super-unleaded petrol? I tend to use only V-Power these days (although the 5p discounts for Tesco 99 have tempted me away on several occasions).

I struggle to get BELOW 30 m.p.g. - although driving at 5000 rpm for a few miles in 2nd gear does help.

I have no problem at travelling at 100+ m.p.h. (where permitted) fully loaded + aircon.

Not saying the 2.4 GDI is better than the the 2.5 V6, merely that it is not all doom & gloom.
    mine is absolutely tip top condition, it had a full service 4k miles ago, and it had a bloody good de coke just before that which involved the inlet manifold coming off to clean it properly, also while it was off the egr some how got blanked off, i can't imagine how that happened as a result it doesn't coke anywhere near as bad as it used to.
    it only ever gets super unleaded in it.
    i just blame the fact it is a cr@p engine, the principle is sound, its just in practice it doesn't work.
    the sooner it explodes the better.

Name
    Philip
    Last Online
    23-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    03 Galant V6

I always remember what a dealer principle's daughter told me when she took me for a test drive in a GDI about 8 months before they were discontinued. She said the engines were nothing but trouble, routinely back for work and servicing and not this super efficient engine that the hype created.

Anyone remember when the GDI was being sold as the future of engine technology? That lasted then!

Last Online
    15-06-2010
    Country
    England
    Car
    BMW E30

Quote Originally Posted by HMG1K
    I've had no hassles with fuel economy on my V6 - having had a 2.0 Galant before I was expecting poorer MPG on a V6 that what I'd been use to, but I haven't noticed much of a difference between the two.

I mainly do 'local' miles with not much motorway miles - but the consumption is so, so, tiny I haven't noticed a thing - expect that V6 roar ! Mmmmmmmm !
    Thats good info about the MPG, good to hear someones experience of both models, did your insurance jump up a lot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast