tommie
    Last Online
    26-09-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 1997

Brakes cooling system

I'm tinkering around with the idea of getting more air to my front discs for track day driving. Has anybody tried this before ?
    I've done the obligatory search and come up with zilch. Any suggestions guys.
    old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

If you have a PFL, you can run some of that alluminium foil flexy duct from the fog light grill to the front of the wheel arch.

Name
    tommie
    Last Online
    26-09-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 1997

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by smohekey
    If you have a PFL, you can run some of that alluminium foil flexy duct from the fog light grill to the front of the wheel arch.
    Thanks smohekey, Thats the sort of thing I had in mind. And yes, mine is a pre face lift.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

I have exactly that setup on the drivers side, but it goes through a transmission fluid cooler.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

wouldnt it be wiser to try aim the air ducting as close to the inner of the mag wheel as possible or does it not make any difference where the air is directed, as long as its in the archway?

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

It depends what you're trying to do. If its cooling brakes, the you're probably right. If you want to increase airflow through an oil cooler, its probably best to duct it to directly in front of the wheel. The rotation of the wheel creates a low pressure point from what I understand.

Name
    stuart
    Last Online
    13-05-2014
    Country
    England
    Car
    530d touring

I'm probably gonna put a ducting kit on the other car similar to the pic below, but I guess something comparible could be made for the VR4.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

My understanding of the vented disk brakes are that they create a centrifugal fan which draws air up through the centre disk and throws it out towards the rims.

If this is the case, then the ducting will work best when it is in a position to feed the fan inlet, which will be between the rotor hat and the disk.

On standard VR-4 brakes, I believe this is actually at the front of the disk. This would make a brake air feed somewhat difficult.

IIRC, on brembos it is a rear feed.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

so then its ok just by providing some ducting to the rotors then and let the fan system in the rotors suck it in then?

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

All the evidence I have seen points to that being the case.

Obviously the more air you can force through the rotor the better the cooling will be.
    If you look at the picture linked above, you can see that the air is ducted to the hat area. The rest one assumes sits very close to the rotor and helps build a bit more pressure in that area to improve air flow through the rotor.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

sounds great Well KITEMAN,sounds like a gud thing then!!
    might make up some new plates to bolt behind the rotor and put a cup on then duct it the same way as the picture you provided or even better as Scott said-Ducting from the spotlights.
    but driver side proves a issue due to the big gay water bottle wich i think im going to can and insert a waterbag same as subarus do

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Can I suggest that pipework goes to the ducts at the bottom of the bumper (which is where every other manufacturer fits their brake ducts) rather than behind the foglights, which you can then retain for oil coolers, mission coolers etc.

You can buy special "flat" ducting.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Have a look at these first:
    http://www.hotlapmotorsports.com/pro...8&idproduct=77

So that's the expensive solution that is a bind to fit.

Here's my suggestion:

VR4WGN....you seem to be able to make just about anything out of fibreglass.....so my thinking is this...

Two ducts that go from the bottom lip-vents. Rectangular cross section, so facing the front of the car you have a rectangular shaped pipe that goes from the little scoops backwards, angling slightly in towards the middle of the car, so that the terminate at the middle inside of the wheel arch, with a 3" plastic pipe fitting. From there, regular 3" or 2" brake ducting hose can be used.

The pipes could be made as two seperate pieces, top and bottom, and simply epoxied togther: to achieve this, a wide lip either side is useful: this allows effective bonding of the two halves, as well as providing a convenient mounting lip to put screws through into undertrays etc.

These have the advantage of not hanging down below the car, maintaining really good airflow, and bringing that air to the centre of the wheelarch, below the driveshaft, allowing short bits of replaceable flexi-pipe to the back of the disks.

Plus it should be fairly easy to mock up with bits of cardboard under the car.

I reckon they'd be very popular: a set of ducts that bolts up in under an hour.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

Steve ill tell you what,your good on a pc with drawings,how bout you draw it,ill colour it in with my mmagic crayon pens and then we can sell it as art work maby??,no jokes aside um can you draw it up on 3d or something and ill fabricate the entire unit both sides and once perfected ill make you a set for free you just pay for shipping thats all wich wud be zilch if you get a group buy lol,leme know
    ~Q~
    Last edited by VR4WGN; 22-06-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

I have discovered that I absoloutely SUCK at 3D stuff.
    More than I thought.

So here's the basic idea: And I am going to go away and try and learn blender.

Obviously the red stuff is flexy pipe from the duct to the disc, travelling between the arms.
    Duct is the same depth as the vent at the front all the way down it's length...pipe fitting is at an angle to blend into the duct.

The bit I am struggling to get right in 3D is the bend that needs to happen halfway along to go up into the bumper area.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

In Indy car racing they use an electric fan to draw the air through, you can pick the fans up for about £10 on ebay.

It might be worth adding one of these into the ducting, but then if you are doing a good speed you wouldnt need the fan in the first place...... except for when you have stopped the car for a breif moment (i.e. pitstop.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

awsum Steve keep practising,it only makes perfect,i think you are on the correct design and idea of keeping it flat as possible,almost rectangular ducting to the wheel area and then brake ducting to the wheel with the custom backing feed plate as per the other pictures i nthis forum.let me know if you think different, but i htink that flat tunneling is better than a round bulgy pipe when we dont have much room undercarriagre wise to work with clearance distances, sorry i babble on without propper punctuation

Name
    Stephen
    Last Online
    07-03-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1988 A31 Cefiro

i would be interested in a set of these in the not to distant future if they were to be made avilable for purchase and wernt to expensive

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

hahahahh custom hmmmmmm never is cheap lol,but as a production mad eitem then itll e a bit cheaper lol,so maby hang Vas till i make them and perfect the system then itll be a complete kit set

Name
    Kev
    Last Online
    21-09-2017
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4

I have been toying with the idea of trying to use the later spotlight mount so you retain one pair of spots and use the vacant holes for Ram pipes directed at the discs on a PFL. But having read you guys posts attatching the ram pipes to those backing plates you showed would look both professional and work well too. If you do perfect this and it sounds like your well on the way count me in for a group buy too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast