Last Online
    01-02-2013
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    '00 Legnum VR4

Question Intercooler spray/mister

hi again people,

While installing my carputer i got around to tiding up the mess of wires behind my center console and discovered the intercooler spray controller i have is not plumbed to anything in the engine bay, the nozzles and connecting hose are there but no pump or reservoir.

this is the exact kit i have

I now have a washer pump(not the same as the picture, this one has a small in out nipples)

Can i just T into the existing line for the front washer jets, run a (water in)line to the new pump and then connect the (water out) to the hose running to the nozzles?

or do i actually need a second reservoir?

Also does it matter if the pump is above or below the water level in the reservoir or if the pump is upside down or not?

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

I think you'll find the pump needs to be below the water level.

You can run off of the washer but obviously you'll be spraying the screen liquid over the cooler.

I guess the quality of spray will depend on the nozzles and pressure generated by the pump

Ideally you want the finest spray as possible as it will coat the cooler completely and allow maximum cooling as the water evaporates
    '97 EVO 4 GSR

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I don't think you can T in to the existing line as this will be after the pump for the windscreen washers. When one pump is operating the other pump will be under pressure, at best a pressure loss on the job you are trying to do, at worst damaging the pumps.

I see no reason why you can't use the same reservoir, but you'll need to take a new line from it. The pump should mount well on the top side of the lower lip of the bumper just in front of the washer bottle

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

Sorry I didn't read this properly. As Nick says you can't T in and put another pump.

You could however just T into your existing line for the front washer jets, and rely on the one pump (the existing washer pump) to do both. (It depends on if the pump is powerful enough to do what you need)

Its worth a try anyway