Taff
    Last Online
    01-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr-4

4th and 5th gear shudder

unfortunately my vr-4 has developed the dreaded 4th and 5th gear shudder. and after reading some threads on here, i decided to get the oil changed.

personally i would have like to have done it myself, but due to lack of tools and facilities, i decided to get it professionally done in my local jap tuning garage which was recommended to me by a member. it's called "AP Motors" in plyomuth. after a quick chat to AP Motors, they said that they would do it for me and it would cost £150 odd + vat. but as soon as i mentioned that i was a member of Club vr-4, the price went down to £130 + vat. thanks to the club discount

any road....got the car back a few hours later and all was well...it felt a lot smoother than before...but when i was driving back up to portsmouth on sunday, the shudder was still there in 4th and 5th gears around the 40-50mph mark. and what is concerning me even more, the shudder has now migrated to 60mph in 5th...im not exactly sure what oil was used, but they did say that they would only use the same oil as the manufacturer. now im not blaming AP Motors for this...but could the new oil be to blame??? if so, where can i get hold of some amsoil in the portsmouth or plymouth area??? and i will have to do it myself somehow

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Oldfart

that price is far too chaep , to do a full flush with AMSOIL ATF it uses around 12-13 litres at a price of around £10 per litre

Give AP a ring and let them know the issue is still there and ask if they did the full flush or not

If they did do the full flush then the only other thing i can think of is that maybe you TC seal is going

Kanji Automotive Solutions - Looking after your Pride and Joy

Servicing - Upgrades - Tuning - Pre Used Parts - Undersealing - Advice - Consultancy
    PM or Call me for any work requests or to discuss your requirements
    Ebay Shop -> http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sun-wizzard...=p4634.c0.m322

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

They wouldn't have used Amsoil though John.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    FL Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit
    They wouldn't have used Amsoil though John.
    bunch of cowboys then

If they have not used AMSOIL then that price would have been a full flush

Oldgit you can order direct from AMSOIL on here go to his website performance oils limited is there trading name

Name
    Taff
    Last Online
    01-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr-4

thanks for the info guys.

i've just had a closer look at the invoice that i had from AP Motors. i've not had a chance to have a good old look at it until now...been really busy over the weekend

this is what i had done

1. carry out intrim service
    2. carry out ayc fluid change
    3. gear box oil check and top up
    4. diff fluids
    5. break inspetion

parts
    oil filter
    engine oil valvoline (what is a valvoline when it's at home???)
    ayc fluids
    gearbox oil
    diff oils
    cleaner

so yeah...just a quick flush through by the looks of it. i will have to wait until next month before i can even think of changing the oil to amsoil. don't get pait that much lol...but luckily, i've only got one big trip ahead of me until pay day. and thats just going down to plymouth and back to portsmouth (170ish each way)

i had a look on "Opie Oils" to see how much the amsoil oil is...and thanks to member rates, 2x5 litres only comes to £111. expect an order from me "oilman"

Name
    Dylan
    Last Online
    07-09-2022
    Country
    Other

From the invoice it doesn't look like they've done any flush. Doesn't even look like they drained the sump (which still leaves a heap of dirty oil in the system).

If that's all it the invoice says then they've probably not really done anything to the box, perhaps they may have slightly topped it up. But unless you had a leak or the level was incorrect before, then it wouldn't have needed topping up anyway.

It's all just a typical minor service. I've been caught with this before, if you have a specific problem you really need to make it clear that the car is there for one thing only, and to concentrate on getting that issue sorted as a priority. Otherwise they tend to overlook things and you end up having to take the car back again.

If your budget doesn't run to the Amsoil then you can use Mitsubishi SPIII and you shouldn't have any problems.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

This isn't a boggo local garage though. AP Motors should know what they're doing.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Dylan
    Last Online
    07-09-2022
    Country
    Other

OK, well in that case it sounds like they would have done a thorough general service but you'd need to go back with your choice of ATF in hand and specify that you'd like the full flush done.

Last Online
    19-10-2010
    Country
    Other
    Car
    vr4 galant

I do a full flush , AND only need 6 quarts of amsoil atf , I dont understand why all you give 15 quartss???

and other question is , When I turn in an a bit closed corner , the diff sounds Rare , only in close corner , what you thinks its this¿¿??

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by vr4-fan
    I do a full flush , AND only need 6 quarts of amsoil atf , I dont understand why all you give 15 quartss???

and other question is , When I turn in an a bit closed corner , the diff sounds Rare , only in close corner , what you thinks its this¿¿??
    It sounds like you're not doing the flush properly and only replacing the oil from the AT.

There is still a lot of ATF in the torque converter and in all the feed pipes of the system that you need to get rid of.

Last Online
    19-10-2010
    Country
    Other
    Car
    vr4 galant

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    It sounds like you're not doing the flush properly and only replacing the oil from the AT.

There is still a lot of ATF in the torque converter and in all the feed pipes of the system that you need to get rid of.
    how I CHANGE the oil to the torque converter I need how many quarts more??

Name
    Brad
    Last Online
    20-10-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    F/lift 5MT VR-4

You need 15 quarts and the article is in the members area

Last Online
    19-10-2010
    Country
    Other
    Car
    vr4 galant

wow!! that its increible , 15 quarts only for the torque converter , and 6 more for the gearbox , its too expensive 15 quarts

Name
    Kat
    Last Online
    17-01-2024
    Membership ID
    AU143
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    RS6 Wagon
    My Garage
    Visit

No where near as expensive as a transmission rebuild because the car hasn't been maintained properly - VR4-fan.
    Last edited by Kitty's VR4; 07-07-2009 at 05:52 AM.

Kittys VR4

To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by vr4-fan
    wow!! that its increible , 15 quarts only for the torque converter , and 6 more for the gearbox , its too expensive 15 quarts
    No - it's 15 quarts total. As Kitty says, rebuilding is very expensive - I know, I've done it!

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

Someone please shoot me

Name
    Kat
    Last Online
    17-01-2024
    Membership ID
    AU143
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    RS6 Wagon
    My Garage
    Visit

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty's VR4
    Thankyou

Name
    Lee
    Last Online
    09-09-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    04 535d Touring

Gearbox shudder at 40-60mph could also be engine roll-stoppers. I just replaced mine and the worst of it has gone.
    VR-4 #1 : Ernie, Pyreness Black, 98 Legnum Type-S, Leather, Moonroof & Stainless Sills, Fujitsubo cat back, Apexi RSM - Sold under duress
    VR-4 #2 : Wallie, Finesse Green, 96 Legnum Type-S, Erebuni CF bonnet, Profec E-01 & EMB, TRE fuel pump, RPW Downpipes, De-Cat, Fujitsubo Super Legalis R, LC-1, NGK Iridium Plugs, SARD Radiator, Greddy Hard Rad Pipe, ATF Cooler, FMIC, Forge Recirc BOV, KAD 6 Pot 330x28 Brakes, HEL Braided Lines, 17"X8.0 Rota Torques with Wintrac Xtremes, Fully Synth Oils, Ultimate 102RON Fuel, Stainless Sills - Sold after 4 great years

Last Online
    19-10-2010
    Country
    Other
    Car
    vr4 galant

wish aditive its good , for this gearbox??? To give maintenance to the stamps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast