Name
    jamil
    Last Online
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum PfL

TCL off under acceleration

As per title. All fine coasting along. Put your foot down, around 3000 revs, lights come on. No other lights. All resets when car is off.

Have got an MBC plumbed in.

Any ideas? Have searched on the forum. I got some idea to check connections going to firewall but no pics to make sure i have done the right thing.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Does it matter how hard you put your foot down?

Does the car accelerate smoothly?

First thought is that you've got a hose off somewhere.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Any noticeable loss in performance?

Check the pipe connections on your TCL canister (grey thing with two pipes coming out of it, on the firewall).
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

Pul the codes mate, dont both the TCS and the EML come on regardless of the fault?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ex saaber
    As per title. All fine coasting along. Put your foot down, around 3000 revs, lights come on. No other lights. All resets when car is off.

Have got an MBC plumbed in.

Any ideas? Have searched on the forum. I got some idea to check connections going to firewall but no pics to make sure i have done the right thing.
    just trying to get a better feel for the actual problem.

are you saying the TCL light comes on when you boot it at 3000rpm and then when you take you foot of the accelerator the light goes off?

Is this in a straight line or going round corners?

if it is going round corners then, is this not just the traction control working normally.
    if it is in a straight line then you could just have big power and crap tyres in the wet, which is causing the loss of traction and the traction control is cutting in.

Or are you saying the traction control light comes on and stays on when you boot it from 3000rpm, and only goes off when you switch the engine off. then when you switch the engine back on the traction control light is off.

i am just trying to investigate all possible causes.

Bye for Now!

Name
    jamil
    Last Online
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum PfL

TCL comes on if i boot it from low rpm's and comes in around 3000 rpm.

It is in a straight line, do not know about corners. Performance does seem off, like base boost you get in Saabs when the system is not full on.

Tyres are virtually new Vredestein Ultracs. They were re balanced and put on a few days ago after the last balancing seemed to leave a shaking steering wheel around 120 -140 kmh.

Checks for hoses but cant see anything off.

When the TCL light comes on it stays on and flashes away. If i press the switch it stays on without flashing. No TCL lights on startup nor EML. Stays that way with no probs if i drive normally.

I was getting fuel cut a few days ago with adjustments of MBC not curing the problem. Went to look at the solenoid where the restrictor pin is, underneath the throttle air intake. Found a loose hose on the next solenoid (?) and put it where it came off from. Both modules are on a bracket held down by 10mm bolts (2 of).

I also fitted a set of Magnecor Red's at the same session.

Going to see Nick tomorrow for what seems like a creaking noise from driver front side under braking when car is hot and in slow traffic.

Hope that covers the questions.

Jamil

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

Hmmm reset the ECU mate, the loose hose could have caused the problem. The ECU might take a reset before it forgets?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

TCL comes on if i boot it from low rpm's and comes in around 3000 rpm.

It is in a straight line, do not know about corners.

Tyres are virtually new Vredestein Ultracs.

Checks for hoses but cant see anything off.

I was getting fuel cut a few days ago with adjustments of MBC not curing the problem. Went to look at the solenoid where the restrictor pin is, underneath the throttle air intake. Found a loose hose on the next solenoid (?) and put it where it came off from. Both modules are on a bracket held down by 10mm bolts (2 of).

I also fitted a set of Magnecor Red's at the same session.

Hope that covers the questions.

Jamil
    Not really you have answered my question. does the tcl light come on when accellersting and then go off when you take you foot off the accelerator?

Oh i see you have edited you post now to answer the question now!

take the advice above and next time the tcl light come on when driving, get the error codes and post them up to let us seem them and maybe we can help so more.

if you don't know how to get the error codes, when you see Nick ask him about it and he will be able to tell you how to get them it is very easy. i resume you are refering to Nick Mann!

however a rest of the ECU (battery Disconnect) would be a good idea to see if the error comes back now you have reconnected that hose.
    Now here is an asumption from me, you have an Auto, if so then reseting the ECU will make the car really badly as it rests all the learnt gear change point and idle setup. this will have to be relearnt and in my can it takes about 300-400 miles to settle down fully. and have these silky smooth gear changes back. this is just a warning so you know what to expect.
    Last edited by Davezj; 13-07-2009 at 08:57 PM.

Name
    jamil
    Last Online
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum PfL

Post edited lots!!!

Have reset ECU, Left it around half hour.

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

So its just your traction control light telling you is working then?

Name
    jamil
    Last Online
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum PfL

Well no.

It comes on and stays on, flashing until i stop and turn the engine off.

Once flashing it doesnt matter if i drive normal, it stays flashing.

Name
    jamil
    Last Online
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum PfL

Thanks Davezj, and Alan, will try an overnight ECU reset. Seeing Nick Mann so will get error codes pulled if problem persists.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

This is the thing that puzzles me. An error would just read as an illuminated lamp, wouldn't it? Why is it flashing?

We'll have a gander at it tomorrow.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Maybe it's flashing because it's trying to do something!

Just out of interest......what happens if you brake hard? IS the ABS suddenly over sensitive?

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Going to see Nick tomorrow for what seems like a creaking noise from driver front side under braking when car is hot and in slow traffic.
    CAREFULL with that until you get to Nicks, could be the lower arm ball joint about to give.

Mike
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    jamil
    Last Online
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum PfL

Well, did ECU reset, drove 50 odd miles at half throttle, no problems. Floor it and the light is back.

At Nick's the codes pulled was 65 - TPS / APS, something also to do with rear right side wheel? He adjusted the accelerator cable but no joy; on way back same thing really.

Nick will explain a bit better perhaps when he is online.

The car does everything else fine, braking, ABS is good. When TCL off flashes the power response does not seem as good, prior to that it seems ok.

Thanks to Nick for all the other work (brake fluids, diff, engine etc). The ball joint was fine, right driver side caliper seems to have a bit of play in it, gearbox mount is on its way out but these problems do sound worse than they actually are.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

As per ex saaber above - the ball joints appear to be okay. (I have explained that these joints need changing at the first sign of dodgyness! I certainly am not brave enough to guarantee their condition!) The groaning/clunking is most likely the engine sitting on the cross member. The engine mount had completely collapsed, so a second hand one of better condition has been installed. The engine is now sitting okay on that side, but the gearbox side is sitting down and back. The condition of those mounts is unknown at this point, but the evidence suggests they are mullered!

The thing on this car that boggles me is the TCL issue. There are no fault codes on any system except for the TCL light, which flashes code 65. On the diagnostic codes complete set thread, this points to the TPS - APS system. The TCL triggering does NOT trigger the engine check light.

Symptoms - as soon as WOT is reached the TCL light starts flashing, at the rate of about 1 per second. The light remains flashing until the ignition is switched off. Turning the tcl off illuminates the tcl light permanently, masking the flashing tcl light issue. It doesn't matter if the TCL is off when you go to WOT, as soon as you turn the TCL on again, the flashing light is there for all to see.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

what was ex saaber saying about a rear wheel sensor issue.

oh by the way if anyone want to investigate this error code you can look at the flow chart that is in the Jap Manual.

65 APS or TPS system 13H- 7

the number on the end of the code is the flow chart number section 13H flowchart 7. you will have to translate it from japanese but if it is you car and you want to get to the bottom of this it will probably be worth doing. If you do can you post the translated flow chart back in to the following thread.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22930
    Last edited by Davezj; 14-07-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Rear wheel is a wild goose chase. The code 65 can also mean an issue with the cabling to the rear wheel speed sensor, but that will show on ABS/AYC too.

Dave - have you got access to that flowchart? I can't speak Japanese, but maybe somebody can!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Perhaps worth asking Kitty?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast