Thread: My baby

IvanEC5A

My baby

Hi all, I am a newcomer and just registered yesterday. My baby is a '97 EC5A Auto. Would like to share some of my car pictures with you guys:

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

It was me who posted a pic of your car in a previous thread - and that is one sweeeeeeet looking car !

Pete

Name
    Brian
    Last Online
    24-10-2012
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, S60R, GT-R

Beautiful car, Ivan :cool: and welcome to the club.

Did you fit the Evo VI rear discs with the Brembo 2-pot calipers? Any problems, or did they fit as easy as the front discs and 4-pots? I have fitted front 4-pots and discs, and I've got rear 2-pots but no discs and, as the fitting is different between the Evo and the Galant, I've not been able to fit the rears yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian
    S60R | GT-R

artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

IvanEC5A
    Hi H.7,

I fit rear Evo 6 Brembo capilers with a minor issue that there is a pan like disc plate covering the original disc which you should either remove it or cut it over in order to accommodate the bigger Evo disc. Beside this, the capilers fit perfectly on the suspension arm.

Is your VR-4 a late version ? I can't see it cleary from your photo.

Actually for early version EC5, the front has more work to be done. I have to purchase the late version knuckel arm plus ABS sensor and replace the original. The choice of rim is a headache since the capiler is much bigger than before, you can hardly find a set of rim which can provide enough room to the capiler. Finally I bought this set of SSR rim and added a 13mm spacer to fit them. Afterwords, the front wheels protruded to the body for about 10mm and then I have to get a set of fender trim from Japan which cost me for about 200 pounds. :Cry1:

Name
    Brian
    Last Online
    24-10-2012
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    VR4, S60R, GT-R

Thanks Ivan. I have the latest model VR-4 INSERT INTO post VALUES (late 1998). I fitted the front discs and Brembo 4-pot calipers from an Evo VII FQ300 and also have the wheels from an Evo VII INSERT INTO post VALUES (8x17, 38 offset) so the calipers fit perfectly under the rims - see pic below. The front calipers fitted easily, but I had to remove the disc backplate, as you mentioned. I have the rear Brembo 2-pot calipers from the same Evo VII so I guess I just need the rear discs too. Did the Evo VI rear discs fit easily on your car, or did you have to do anything other than remove the backplate? Also, did you have any problem with the handbrake?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roadrunner; 07-06-2003 at 07:52 PM.

Last Online
    13-01-2005

IvanEC5A

Fantastic looking car!!!!

I really like the mud guards you've put on your car. I've also bought mud guard material so make my own mud guards. Do you have a template you could send me with where you've drilled holes and how you have cut your mud guards.

Thanks
    LEGNUM VR-4 TYPE-S
    Trigger Mauve, INVECS-II 5sp Tiptronic gearbox
    2.5L, V6, 24V, Twin Turbo, 4WD, AYC, Full Leather and Wood interior, Climate Control

Modifications
    Paddle-shift gear change mechanism,
    HKS Super Power Flow Induction,
    HKS Super Drager Exhaust,
    HKS EVC Pro Boost Controller,
    HKS Fuel Cutoff Defensor,
    HKS EIDS,
    HKS Turbo Timer
    225/40ZR18 Yoko AVS Sports Tyres
    Ralliart VR-4 floor mats, Full Privacy Glass,
    Pioneer ICE, 2x500 WATT Amplifiers, 500 WATT Sub-Woofer

See pictures of my car HERE.

IvanEC5A
    H.7, no other work is needed and the rear disc fit easily without any problem, also no problem for the handbrake too.

See below for your reference.

IvanEC5A
    Originally posted by haydar
    IvanEC5A

Fantastic looking car!!!!

I really like the mud guards you've put on your car. I've also bought mud guard material so make my own mud guards. Do you have a template you could send me with where you've drilled holes and how you have cut your mud guards.

Thanks
    Sorry that I don't have the template as the mud guards were installled by the garage. But it won't be difficult as there are some screw holes on the fender and you can easily get a desire position. It will only take 30 minutes to complete. Sometimes it is fun for DIY...

Name
    Mendel
    Last Online
    11-09-2012
    Country
    Hong Kong

Originally posted by IvanEC5A
    Hi H.7,

I fit rear Evo 6 Brembo capilers with a minor issue that there is a pan like disc plate covering the original disc which you should either remove it or cut it over in order to accommodate the bigger Evo disc. Beside this, the capilers fit perfectly on the suspension arm.

Is your VR-4 a late version ? I can't see it cleary from your photo.

Actually for early version EC5, the front has more work to be done. I have to purchase the late version knuckel arm plus ABS sensor and replace the original. The choice of rim is a headache since the capiler is much bigger than before, you can hardly find a set of rim which can provide enough room to the capiler. Finally I bought this set of SSR rim and added a 13mm spacer to fit them. Afterwords, the front wheels protruded to the body for about 10mm and then I have to get a set of fender trim from Japan which cost me for about 200 pounds. :Cry1:
    mmm... still hurts everytime you told this story... hey might be needing your personal advice and instructions when installing the brembo kit on my ride! INSERT INTO post VALUES (but of course this wouldnt be happening this month or next, no $$$$$ lah!)
    Mendel the Bard
    aka MTB

HK Galant Club

Last Online
    05-09-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom

NICE!
    sweet looking vr4 you have there
    i noticed on the interior pic that you have INSERT INTO post VALUES (i think) a apexi SAFC or RSM?
    if its the SAFC does it do a good job of controling the fueling as i'm guessing that you are running at 13psi?
    have been thinking about getting the AVCR & SAFC.
    its a lot cheaper than ECU swapping, tho probably not as good?

P.S. welcome on board, nice to have you with us
    98'R' LEGNUM VR4
    fujitsubo exhaust
    de-cat
    hks inductution kit
    legnum extreme rear spoiler, side skirts and rear skirt

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Also noticed the gauges you have under the radio. These look real cool:

1: What gauges are they
    2: Make
    3: What was required to fit them there INSERT INTO post VALUES (specially made holders etc ?)

Cheers

Pete

IvanEC5A
    Originally posted by jaysback
    NICE!
    sweet looking vr4 you have there
    i noticed on the interior pic that you have INSERT INTO post VALUES (i think) a apexi SAFC or RSM?
    if its the SAFC does it do a good job of controling the fueling as i'm guessing that you are running at 13psi?
    have been thinking about getting the AVCR & SAFC.
    its a lot cheaper than ECU swapping, tho probably not as good?

P.S. welcome on board, nice to have you with us
    Thank you.
    That is a Apexi RSM and I don't have the SAFC nor the AVCR so sorry that I could not give you any advice here.

IvanEC5A
    Originally posted by spirit979
    Also noticed the gauges you have under the radio. These look real cool:

1: What gauges are they
    2: Make
    3: What was required to fit them there INSERT INTO post VALUES (specially made holders etc ?)

Cheers

Pete
    Pete,

1. Oil temp + oil pressue + water temp
    2. The gauges are made by Blitz
    3. It has a holder which can fit to any oridinary stereo case. But since it is a 2nd hand purchase so I don't know where it come from.

Take a closer look :

Name
    Mendel
    Last Online
    11-09-2012
    Country
    Hong Kong

GOSH! you have to STOP posting images of those gauges! they look so darn beautiful! just wait until i could lay my hands on some defi...:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Ivan

They are damn impressive and certainly make better use of that space than whats there now !

Looks like they are angled towards the driver aswell - cool !

It appears you have swapped the radio and gauges around from the original pic aswell. Any reason? And were there any complications fitting all this in INSERT INTO post VALUES (wiring, space etc) ?

Pete

IvanEC5A
    Hi Pete, I swapped the position just for a more racing-look, and easiler to see them during driving.

Fitting to the stereo case is not difficult, but to plug those wires and sensors are somewhat professional-skill required since they go through the panel/ dash board into the engine bay and connect to the coolant piping and oil filter etc. I left this for the garage to fit them.