Thread: Common faults to look out for?

Last Online
    28-07-2009
    Country
    England

Common faults to look out for?

Hi
    I have been searching for a Galant estate for my daily runner. I have been advised by people on here to go for a manual V6.
    However, I have recently discovered that they tend to get gearbox problems.
    Is this common?
    My partner and I are quite gutted, as he was also considering getting a saloon to add to our family.
    Please advise?!
    Thanx in advance

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

The manual gearboxes themselves are pretty solid, and it's only items at the periphery that may cause issues - gearstick linkage breakage and input shaft bearing (or whatever it is, I can't remember exactly!!) - but even this is relatively rare. The autos are reliable if looked after, although the torque converter seal can go (though once replaced, should never need it again!) which is a lengthy job to replace.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Last Online
    28-07-2009
    Country
    England

I rang up about a 2.5L V6 yesterday which looked really lovely in the photos. But when I rang him up he said that it has a noisy gearbox.
    A friend of mine had a saloon but has had to scrap it cos the gearbox went, with a quote of £2K to replace it!!

A few people on here seem to agree that manuals get alot of problems? I realise all cars can have problems, but I don't want to buy a car and face pricey problems with it.

Thanx for your help and advice, it is much appreciated!

Name
    Doug
    Last Online
    03-10-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2.5 V6 Estate
    My Garage
    Visit

I use my Tiptronic gearbox like a manual most of the time.

Mine has done just under 146,000 miles and the changes are still excellent.

Last Online
    28-07-2009
    Country
    England

Rambaud, what do you get out of yours on average, mpg wise?

Name
    Doug
    Last Online
    03-10-2015
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2.5 V6 Estate
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxd
    Rambaud, what do you get out of yours on average, mpg wise?
    It depends.

My overall average is ~ 33 m.p.g.

This increases to over 40 m.p.g. on a long run, and ~ 30 m.p.g. around town.

However, it got new plugs, air filter and fuel filter a few days ago (the old ones had not been changed for over 2 years). So it should show an improvement.

Last Online
    28-07-2009
    Country
    England

That's alot better than I thought.
    I really love to drive, and have always thought that autos/semi autos would take the fun away?

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

The tip boxes on the INVECS-II equipped cars are rather more than your average auto. Recommended - especially if you have the occasional bit of queuing to do!

Last Online
    14-07-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant, VR4 & BONGO!

i got a manual v6 with a knackered box, jsut replaced the bearings an it was good as new!
    driven them down on the price

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxd
    I rang up about a 2.5L V6 yesterday which looked really lovely in the photos. But when I rang him up he said that it has a noisy gearbox.
    A friend of mine had a saloon but has had to scrap it cos the gearbox went, with a quote of £2K to replace it!!

A few people on here seem to agree that manuals get alot of problems? I realise all cars can have problems, but I don't want to buy a car and face pricey problems with it.

Thanx for your help and advice, it is much appreciated!
    who told you that load of rubishh? yes the input shaft bearing can bcome noisey and fall apart but we have only seen that on the vr4 on a couple of occasions (which can happen to any car might i add) and the backet that holds the selector cable on top of the gear box can fail - which can be fixed with a nut and bolt!

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

I had one Galant that did kill its gearbox a few times, that was due to a bad repair
    Bearings went got them replaced
    Gearbox through something out the case
    Gearbox fixed again then blew up again
    Most of it was done to a bad garage who then wouldnt take any responibilty for messing it up, got the gearbox replaced, was fine, admitdly it was the wrong box the ratios were out on it.

Other manual I had was superb, sold it with 122k on the clock not a hint of trouble with the gearbox

Galants are getting on a bit now, so first things I would check is play in the steering rack, not a costly fix, just the rack ends have worn out, rack ends and new track rod ends are about £90 all in, then just fitting and tracking

Brakes, watch out for judder on them, if they do its going to need one of 2 things doing, new discs and pads, or a new vacuum hose on the servo, now regardless of what people say, they disc dont warp, they feel like the surface has warped, but they arent, they have just go to hot, usual problem is people sitting in traffic with there foot on the brake.

Rust- Unfortunatly they do suffer from rust, usual place is the rear arches, check the rear arches are in really good condition, give them a good pull etc and check they are good.... Other rust that I have come across on Galants, is strut tops can go, but very rare, only seen 1 or 2 cases of this, the other place is the front cross member under the bonnet.

the V624v is the best one to go for, even if its just for the noise they make, coming from 2 V624v's to a VR4 the one thing I miss the is the noise that V6 makes without turbos. Other things to remember, these cars are getting on a bit, and whilst they were a relativly expensive car new (£30k or so iirc) they depreciated very quickly, so some have been used as cheap hacks, so service history can be lost or missing, could be unserviced.... If the car looks rough, walk away from it

Last Online
    28-07-2009
    Country
    England

Pitslayer - thank you for your help. It is tricky to know what to do. I will keep my eyes open though. Thanx again for your advice

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Easiest thing to do with these cars is buy with the head, not the heart... By that I dont mean they are problematic, its just that like all cars ever made there are some dogs out there, but unlike most cars the Galants hide there dog status quite well, because they just look so good and drive so well, that you can miss out on things.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    11-07-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Mazda 6 MPS

iv got a manual with fairly high milage and havent had any problems yet. in my reserch before buying a galant i did read that the auto gearbox can f*ck up soemtimes, so the manual would be a better choice.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

The manual V6 (N/A) gearbox in my VR2 has got over 240.000km on it. Needed some new parts some time ago. From my point of view the gearbox is very very good, considering it was not designed to handle the power that the VR4 engine that is now coupled to it produces. Yet it holds very good! Make sure to use correct gearbox oil and it'll last.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Bear in mind my gearbox failed twice due it being poorly rebuilt by a crap company, not a Mitsi fault.
    Poorly serviced by p/o
    Used to drag a caravan
    Clutch went we bought
    Gearbox bearings started to get noisy aswell
    New clutch
    Gearbox sent off for rebuild
    Gearbox fine for 2 months blows hole in side of case
    Gearbox fixed again
    Gearbox drops all a bearing and makes horrid noises