Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of suspension you are using ?

IvanEC5A

What kind of suspension you are using ?

Hi guys, what kind of suspension that you are using for your EC5A/W ?

Most of the VR4 in HK are using the Tein HA, and I am using the Apexi WS. Trying to look for a replacement and wondering whether there is anything from Ohlins or Blistein. Any pricing information too ? onder:

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Not looked into that yet mate, I am using standard shocks and HKS Super Form Springs. I cannot recall anyone on here from the UK who has non standard shocks INSERT INTO post VALUES (but I am usually wrong ); but someone will know.

Pete

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

i was told, that the HKS hiper damper kit would fit on, then was told by someone else, that it wouldnt.. think HKS Europe said it first, but i didnt get a 100% answer..:INSERT INTO post VALUES (
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

IvanEC5A
    Oh, so the culture in HK is different. I can say that nearly 90% of the VR-4 owners here have changed their stock suspension...and 80% of them are using TEIN HA. But I am looking for some other alternatives from Europe.

Hope someone can help me on this topic ?

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

I'm running standard as far I know, can't say I've looked properly but it is the original ride height.
    Maybe I should look as the previous owner has played with this car a little.

It isn't the culture that is different, it's more of the expense here I'd say.

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Brind is right - it's the expense of buying the parts and also the impact on our insurance premiums :mad: !

Pete

IvanEC5A
    IC, so for how much you guys are paying for your insurance ? Is it true that by changing any parts you need to pay more premium ?

In HK it is damn expensive too, every year I gain more NCB INSERT INTO post VALUES (No Claim Bonus) but the premium remain the same, meaning that the discount is offset. Further, the excesses are getting higher and higher, just got the latest proposal to renew the policy and the excess is 50% of the insured amount if my car got stolen !!

Name
    Pete
    Last Online
    26-03-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom

Ivan

Have a look at this thread for some of the amounts we pay:

http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showt...=&threadid=410

:grr: :mad2: :grrr: :io: Damn insurance companies !

Pete

Last Online
    23-12-2004
    Country
    England

Ivan - do you like the Tein suspension - how does it compare to the standard set up ? Is it height adjustable ?

IvanEC5A
    Originally posted by spirit979
    Ivan

Have a look at this thread for some of the amounts we pay:

http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showt...=&threadid=410

:grr: :mad2: :grrr: :io: Damn insurance companies !

Pete
    The amount you guys talked about is for comprehensive or just 3rd party ?

IvanEC5A
    Originally posted by pjjohnson
    Ivan - do you like the Tein suspension - how does it compare to the standard set up ? Is it height adjustable ?
    I am not using TEIN but Apexi WS. It is soft and good for daily driving and your girl friends or family will not complain. It is height adjustable but not the damping force. If you drive harder at corners then it wont be able to provide enough support.

Most of the VR4 drivers that I know in HK are using the TEIN HA and the general comment is good. Compare to my Apexi, it provides better support at corners and the level of comfort is still acceptable. It is height and damping force adjustable.

Seems to me that there is not many choice for EC5A/W. But I do want to look for other alternatives from Ohlins or Blistein, if they are ever available.

Name
    M Brindley
    Last Online
    25-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ralliart VR-4 S

Yes they are fully comprehensive although for some cars if not all perhaps depending on car value INSERT INTO post VALUES (I don't know) there isn't a great deal of difference in price between the two.
    Although you would be a fool not go for fully comp.

Name
    Edmund
    Last Online
    02-03-2016
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Car
    96 & 92 Galant

EC5A Original Suspension

Ivan EC5A, how does the original suspension compare to your aftermarket Apexi system ? I ask because I am quite satisfied with my stock EC5A suspension INSERT INTO post VALUES (5 speed manual). I autocross with this car and I sometimes have better times than Evo's & Impreza's, depending on the course. So, my car is quite competitive. Does anyone know if there is any difference in suspension between manual gearbox & tiptronic equipped VR4's ? INSERT INTO post VALUES (my VR4 Type S has AYC)
    Thanks for any comments.
    Edmund

IvanEC5A
    Edmund, the original suspension is good for daily driving and the setting is purely saloon type, it is so high that induce so much body roll at corners and which I feel insecure.

The Apexi WS suspension is height adjustable and I can lower the car by 20-30mm but still provide comfortable riding quality. Body roll is reduced so I have much more confidence at corners. However, the damping force cannot be adjusted so it is the major drawback.

Regardless of manual/ auto EC5A/W there is nothing difference in the suspension.

Last Online
    13-01-2005

Originally posted by IvanEC5A
    The Apexi WS suspension is height adjustable and I can lower the car by 20-30mm but still provide comfortable riding quality. Body roll is reduced so I have much more confidence at corners. However, the damping force cannot be adjusted so it is the major drawback.

Regardless of manual/ auto EC5A/W there is nothing difference in the suspension.
    How much did the Apexi WS suspension cost???
    LEGNUM VR-4 TYPE-S
    Trigger Mauve, INVECS-II 5sp Tiptronic gearbox
    2.5L, V6, 24V, Twin Turbo, 4WD, AYC, Full Leather and Wood interior, Climate Control

Modifications
    Paddle-shift gear change mechanism,
    HKS Super Power Flow Induction,
    HKS Super Drager Exhaust,
    HKS EVC Pro Boost Controller,
    HKS Fuel Cutoff Defensor,
    HKS EIDS,
    HKS Turbo Timer
    225/40ZR18 Yoko AVS Sports Tyres
    Ralliart VR-4 floor mats, Full Privacy Glass,
    Pioneer ICE, 2x500 WATT Amplifiers, 500 WATT Sub-Woofer

See pictures of my car HERE.

IvanEC5A
    I bought it 18 months ago and cost me HKD7K, about 560 pounds. Now some of the shops here have discounted to HKD5K and that equal to 400 pounds.

Tein HA is a better choice and is selling at HKD7K here. It is the most popular choice in HK.

Last Online
    13-01-2005

Originally posted by IvanEC5A
    I bought it 18 months ago and cost me HKD7K, about 560 pounds. Now some of the shops here have discounted to HKD5K and that equal to 400 pounds.

Tein HA is a better choice and is selling at HKD7K here. It is the most popular choice in HK.
    Are they not doing any discount on the Tein HA .

IvanEC5A
    If ever there is any discount for the HA, I should have changed arleady. Sorry !!

Last Online
    25-02-2007
    Country
    Other

Am from Singapore Galant Club.

We have quite wide variety of suspension combinations!

Personally myself and 4/5 other owners are using Tein HA

3 of our members are using D2 Racing
    others using Koni-HKS/Tanabe/RS/Merwede etc combinations

As for HKS, confirm they have a kit for VR4 but would not come cheap S$3K minimum

Currently we are organising a group purchase for Tein HA for some of our members INSERT INTO post VALUES (self Import) at S$1200 INSERT INTO post VALUES (not including shipping).

As for D2 Racing, we have neg. special discount from local dealer for S$1300 INSERT INTO post VALUES (include shipping, VAT, installation and tuning).

EA
    '99 VR-4 Type V
    Engine - ProShop Iida Turbo Piping, Unichip ECU+FCD, K&N Drop-in Filter, Custom Grounding and Iridium 0.4mm Plugs, 255 Litres High Pressure Fuel Pump.
    Footwork - 225.45ZR17 GIII on Racing Modification 7.5Jx17, Tein HA
    Brakes - (Front) 4-Pot + 330mm X-drilled and slotted Rotors + Project Mu HD-Kai 500 deg pads, (Rear) 2-Pot + 300mm X-drilled and slotted rotors + Project Mu HD-Kai 500 deg pads
    Exhaust - Full Custom system (Free Flow)
    Bodywork - Cusco Lower Arm bars + Cusco 130% strengthern Stabilisers Front and Back
    Accessories - Varta Silver dynamic 600A Batt. + Blitz DSBC Boost Controller + HKS SQV BOV + HKS Type O Turbo Timer + R-Spec RSM + Electronic Roller Blinds + V-Kool films + Blaupunt Radiofone ICE

Last Online
    03-01-2010
    Country
    Cyprus
    Car
    VR4

Quote Originally Posted by spirit979
    Not looked into that yet mate, I am using standard shocks and HKS Super Form Springs. I cannot recall anyone on here from the UK who has non standard shocks INSERT INTO post VALUES (but I am usually wrong ); but someone will know.

Pete
    You mean HKS SF5? how does the original springs compare to your aftermarket HKS springs?
    HKS Super Power Flow + Heat Shield.
    Blitz BOV (Super Sound-Dual Drive).
    Blitz Gauges id series (boost, oil pres).
    Apexi rev/speed metter.
    Apexi Turbo Timer.
    2,5 inch downpipes-3inch exhaust.
    Greddy E-manage.
    IC 600x300x76
    Super Leggera's
    Yokohamas Neova 235/45/17
    PRofec B Spec-II.

TEIN S.Tech springs + Koni Absorbers.
    Cusco turbo pipe kit.
    Black Diamond Front Brakes Disks + Ferodo DS-2500.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast