brandon
    Last Online
    10-04-2012
    Country
    United States
    Car
    2000 eclipse GS

Thumbs up TI: True Carbon Fiber intake

As of now me and a friend are in the process of making custom Carbon fiber intakes and turbo intakes. made with real carbon fiber. we dont not have pictures of the project yet they are still being made hopefully with in the next few weeks we will have everything all ready for shipping.

if we can build enough interest from the Galant community we can get some of these CAI and SRI intakes made for you guys.

If you are interested please post up if we do have enough interest we will need someones Galant as test car since we do not have 1 and if anyone is in the chicago area that wants to help that would be great all we need is some measurements for us to get started.

we will need about 20 people to get anything started so if you are interested please post up.

we cant get any pricing until the measurments are made. so who ever wants to help us out let me know thanks brandon.

if you have more questions you can reach us either through PM or email Carbonevolution@gmail.com

Name
    Alistair
    Last Online
    24-03-2013
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1996 Legnum VR4

I would be interested in a intake manifold just depending on the price

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

can I just point out that from what I have read over in America land, they use these all the time, where as they arent really that good for our cars, actually find the best intake for us is the stock intake with a good panel filter

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

Quote Originally Posted by pits
    can I just point out that from what I have read over in America land, they use these all the time, where as they arent really that good for our cars, actually find the best intake for us is the stock intake with a good panel filter
    You can point it out, but it won't mean much: the problem we always have is mainly the MAF. The standard intake system IS very restrictive...if these guys are offering some carbon pipes, bits of hose and a bigger trumpet, as well as a dceent sized airfilter, but can gurantee it's been proven to work properly with our MAF, I think you'll see better spool and lower boost temps.

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    13-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Outlander Turbo

Well mine works perfect and the Air filter and inlet pipe stays very cool so good luck to them.

Name
    Last Online
    Country
    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
    You can point it out, but it won't mean much: the problem we always have is mainly the MAF. The standard intake system IS very restrictive...if these guys are offering some carbon pipes, bits of hose and a bigger trumpet, as well as a dceent sized airfilter, but can gurantee it's been proven to work properly with our MAF, I think you'll see better spool and lower boost temps.
    Yes, but this company is in the US and I am not sure if we use the same MAF as the US counterparts, as they would be designing this for the US market mainly, as I am not sure if we share any engine with the US models, I know we have the 4g, and so do they, but I think they are different, they get the 3.0 V6....

Also if the VR4 MAF is different to any of the other MAF's out there, they couldnt test it properly due to the lack of VR4's in the US...

If all the MAF's are the same and it prooven to work, I probably wouldnt be interested but I am sure a few people would, but you would have to find out if the MAF's are the same, as I dont think we share an engine,

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

if i may query are there actuaa bnneeitsorm arger throttle body and pipework? i have 2.5" for my FMIC kit but the turbo holes are stil lrestricted to 2" from memory so what would a step down do in the terms of power?
    secondly due to pressure or vacuum wouldnt the CF crush in the weak spots? or am i trippin?
    just curious,thanx

Name
    Kayne
    Last Online
    21-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    94' Galant VR-4

Not to mention CF also tends to catch fire in the engine bay relatively easily when used for piping near the turbo's.
    1994 Galant VR-4, 6A13TT conversion 230kw atw
    2000 Legnum VR-4, Daily driver
    1995 FTO GPX

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

...if these guys are offering some carbon pipes, bits of hose and a bigger trumpet, as well as a dceent sized airfilter, but can gurantee it's been proven to work properly with our MAF
    I've yet to see any evidence of such guarantees

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by Goku
    Not to mention CF also tends to catch fire in the engine bay relatively easily when used for piping near the turbo's.
    I'm not so sure this is correct, given the tremendous heat CF is subjected to as part of the manufacturing process. I'm not sure it would be used in F1 if it was not a fairly fire resistant material?

Admittedly I am not a chemical engineer but surely it would have some heat resistant properties? If not - why would anyone use it in the application you've described in the first place?

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    I'm not so sure this is correct, given the tremendous heat CF is subjected to as part of the manufacturing process. I'm not sure it would be used in F1 if it was not a fairly fire resistant material?

Admittedly I am not a chemical engineer but surely it would have some heat resistant properties? If not - why would anyone use it in the application you've described in the first place?
    Ryan from memory the CF or Glass itself is not flammable but WILL smoulder ,its the Resin they use thartll catch fire and burn,theres a substance called (ester) or vinylester something that you get that is actually heat resistant but aparantly only to bout 62* ,i may be wrong but yea,so id say the turbo plumbing will not work ,but maby the intake system.

ps sorry guys for the poor wording ,i cant even read my first post lol.. my keyeboard does what it wants..(bluetooth)

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

CF doesn't burn any particularly better or worse than the plastic airbox and trumpet that are already fitted. Not sure how it would handle the stuff between the turbos and the throttle plate.

A larger throttle body is part of the whole "Fluid dynamics" thing, and I have to confess I am not 100% clear on this on a turbo'd car, but essentially the pipework from the turbo should gradually increase in diameter as it gets further away from the outlet: something to do with conservation of energy.
    As you increase the flow, you don't want any nasty restrictions at peak flow, so if the throttlebody or associated pipework is too small, it costs you power. The issue is: how much power.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

hmmm thanx for that dude,um so 3" FMIC pipework is too much maby? and also maby upgrade the Body aswell,do you know which model mitsi has the larger 1 that will fit?

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Pretty sure the NA 6A13 throttle body is larger and fits. I have an NA and a TT one in the garage I could compare if you want.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

thatd be so awsum man,thanx,

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Ok, I had a look and they will bolt up fine. The NA throttle body is the same outside circumference, it's just a little wider on the inside circumference. The sensors are also a little different. The TT one seems to have two TPS sensors, one with 3 pins rather than 4. Otherwise they're pretty much the same.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    19-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Silver

I think you'll find the second sensor is for the TCL system

A facelift VR4 should have a bigger throttlebody too...might be an easier swap. Not sure if the idle control is the same.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

thanx guys!! feel bad for clofgging up this guys forum(apologies).
    um so a FL unit will do the trick then i take it?

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    12-03-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4

I think you'll find the second sensor is for the TCL system

A facelift VR4 should have a bigger throttlebody too...might be an easier swap. Not sure if the idle control is the same.
    Stepper motor is the same Steve. Bore & pipework are different.

Name
    Quinton
    Last Online
    25-06-2011
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Built VR4 Leggy

yea i measured them up,i have 3 and the FL is bigger,the TCL unit is smaller @65mm and the normal FL non TCL is 68mm,and all the other units are the same,the only difference is that the manual unit has 4 pins and the other 3,or the other way round